• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Babyboomers and the Market

18 posts in this topic

Was reading in the paper how babyboomers buy most in most of the markets. Thats why some of the car companies have come out with old versions of these new cars. Remakes of some of the old TV shows and movies. And replicas of old games and toys and such. Paper reports they all sell well.

You would think the comic industry would get a clue from this. Think there will be a change in comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Was reading in the paper how babyboomers buy most in most of the markets. Thats why some of the car companies have come out with old versions of these new cars. Remakes of some of the old TV shows and movies. And replicas of old games and toys and such. Paper reports they all sell well.

You would think the comic industry would get a clue from this. Think there will be a change in comics? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ultimate Marvels. gossip.gif

Yet another Captain Marvel? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I saw the new one in Ultimate Secret.

Is he the one that died like 15 times in the late Silver and Bronze age or am I mixing him up with Warlock?

confused.gif

Is he the one that died like 15 times in the late Silver and Bronze age or am I mixing him up with Warlock?

confused.gif

Warlock is Captain Marvel...

confused.gif

Warlock is Captain Marvel...

It figures. 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

I musta missed something.

OK... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

HIM (FF 66,67 and some Thor 12cent issues) ----> Captain Marvel (12/15 cent issues) -----> Warlock I started seeing Warlock in some Hulk and Strange Tales 20 cent issues and later in his own title.

Just when did this makeover occur?

I bet it was in "Marvel Super Heroes" or one of the Marvel Feature/Premiere titles I never read very much of.

tongue.gif

Spiderman "Depends" ??????????

And Fantasticar with walker access.

But seriously, after reading this article, and thinking about it. Here ya got the turning retirement age people spending all kinds of $$$. So all kinds of businesses are trying to cash in by giving them what they want with thier retro products. I just can't help but think the comic industry might just try also. The ARCHIVE and ESSENTIALS are, in a way, one way to catch that market by reprinting. But (No slam against MARVEL, just an example) I can't see any babyboomer buying a ULTIMATE title. Its not something that relates to a babyboomer. Totally different characters, different origins, sometimes totally different identities. Its not something that a babyboomer would be interested in. Thats why I think if the comic industry did want to get into this market, they would do something that relates to the babyboomer. Possibably by bring back superheros, villians, and characters in comics that a babyboomer would relate to. Maybe something like, bringing back the silver-age Barry Allen Flash. Bringing back the original Justice League of America. Bringing back Peter Parker as Spider-Man before the whole clone thing. Continuing series to thier original 1st volumes. Stuff like that.

But I doubt anything like those examples will ever happen in the near furture.

But I do believe comics are a business so something to catch that babyboomer market , something will happen. But what?

The average comic collector is 38, Fat, a geekish kind or person who is a bad dresser and had no friends in high school. High GPA in HS led to college which led to a great paying job and lots of comic investing/collection money. When this group is 60 the comic buying is over.............................

Just kidding...............

"The average comic collector is 38, Fat, a geekish kind or person who is a bad dresser and had no friends in high school."

Hmm, well, I'm in my 30s, I am kindah fat, but not geekish, hot wife (well, after the baby she could stand to lose a few pounds, but I ain't gonnah be the one to tell her that!) reasonably decent dresser (except when i want to [embarrassing lack of self control] my wife off by doing something like wearing khaki shorts with white socks and black doc martens and a hawaiian shirt), had a fair number of friends in high school, was a jock (and, alas, the eating habits of a jock carried over into my professional life and I do not burn nearly as many calories sitting behind a desk pretending to be a lawyer as I oncedid playing football and basketball)

mediocre GPA in HS (too much drinking, smoking and athletics), high SAT scores allowed me to go to a top college, law school, etc....

of course, i'd like to be selling more than i'm buying, but sometimes it's hard to stop myself when I just need another 6 copies of Jimmy Olsen 143...

The average comic collector is 38, Fat, a geekish kind or person who is a bad dresser and had no friends in high school. High GPA in HS led to college which led to a great paying job and lots of comic investing/collection money. When this group is 60 the comic buying is over.............................

Just kidding...............

It just starts over again smile.gif.