• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

If You Found a Case of 20 NM Action Comics #1's...............

110 posts in this topic

First of all, I wouldnt say a damn thing about the find. I would gradually create a rumor in the hobby about a single amazing copy (presumably 9.0) of Action 1 that turned up somewhere in the boondocks.

Once I felt there was adequate buzz, I would contact every single major dealer and/or collector and let them know that I am in possession of the best copy of Action 1 to hit the market in 20 years and I will be accepting the best offer for the book. This would of course be done across the board on a single weekend with help from friends/family.

Assuming most major players would not want to miss out on the book, I'd expect most offers to be at least somewhat reasonable. I would then accept every dealer's best offer and simultaniously sell the worst 18 copies. I'd have my friends fly the copies around the country if need be. If these copies are better than VF/NM, I would crease a corner to drop the grades to 9.0.

The top two copies (presumably 9.4-9.8) would be mylared and would remain in a safety deposit box, unknown to the world until 20 years later when the vf/nm copies have been absorbed into the hobby.

I would disappear from the face of the Earth (or at least internet message boards) to avoid the ensuing storm.

devil.gif

BEST POST EVER hail.gifacclaim.gifhail.gif

First of all, I wouldnt say a damn thing about the find. I would gradually create a rumor in the hobby about a single amazing copy (presumably 9.0) of Action 1 that turned up somewhere in the boondocks.

Once I felt there was adequate buzz, I would contact every single major dealer and/or collector and let them know that I am in possession of the best copy of Action 1 to hit the market in 20 years and I will be accepting the best offer for the book. This would of course be done across the board on a single weekend with help from friends/family.

Assuming most major players would not want to miss out on the book, I'd expect most offers to be at least somewhat reasonable. I would then accept every dealer's best offer and simultaniously sell the worst 18 copies. I'd have my friends fly the copies around the country if need be. If these copies are better than VF/NM, I would crease a corner to drop the grades to 9.0.

The top two copies (presumably 9.4-9.8) would be mylared and would remain in a safety deposit box, unknown to the world until 20 years later when the vf/nm copies have been absorbed into the hobby.

I would disappear from the face of the Earth (or at least internet message boards) to avoid the ensuing storm.

devil.gif

I like how this guy thinks. thumbsup2.gif

btw...anyone know who owns the 8.5 unrestored copy in the census? confused-smiley-013.gif

hate to be a realist in this fantasy scenario, but getting all 20 of them slabbed would cost a fortune. Probably between 500 - 1000 a piece if I remember the rates right. I guess pgx would be 14.99 a book though.

I always wondered if cgc would discount that rate for multiple high grade ga books, just to be the company grading them

hate to be a realist in this fantasy scenario, but getting all 20 of them slabbed would cost a fortune. Probably between 500 - 1000 a piece if I remember the rates right. I guess pgx would be 14.99 a book though.

I always wondered if cgc would discount that rate for multiple high grade ga books, just to be the company grading them

Shoot, they should do it for free

Let's see, take a lowest grade copy, slab and sell. Take fees for remainder and slab rest. Should still have plenty left over.

This is scary, I'm finding myself agreeing with just about everything you're saying these days! 893whatthe.gifpoke2.gif

..............what would you do (after jumping up and down of course)? Assume that all books range between 9.0 and 9.4 in grade and are unrestored.

Would you keep the find private and try to sell off one book at a time so you don't flood the market, or would you brag about your find to everyone including the newspapers?

Would you have all or some of the books slabbed, or would you keep them all raw? How many copies will you keep for your private collection, and how many will you sell off? If selling, would you just list them on Heritage, Ebay or ComicLink and try and get the FMV, or would you hold on to them for a couple of years to build BSD's interest.

Personally, I'd probably have at least 2 of the books slabbed (not the best 2) and sold thru an auction site or via a personal high offer. This way I can at least buy a house, get my finances together, and have some money left over to slab and insure the rest if I need to. However, I have no idea how to approach the other 18 copies, and whether I'd keep the find secret or not!

How will the rest of you approach this great news?

Get one graded. If it came back a 9.4, keep an additional one, sell the graded 9.4 for 3 mil and burn the rest.

I would keep 15 of them and sell 5 on ebay for a buy it now price of 2 million(since someone offered that before)..So at the end I will have 10 million bucks and 15 copies of Action comics #1, I would also offer one on the boards for someones collection. 27_laughing.gif

Lets say the one on top got some abuse and was a low grade copy.

I'd have to sell it raw to afford the grading fees of any of the 19 NM ones.

27_laughing.gif

Then I take the second best looking one in to CGC in an in person walk through.

I'd get graded and get a 9.6. cloud9.gif

Then I sell it for 5 million dollars. I'm sure Esquire can hook me up with a buyer!

acclaim.gif

And then I get the nicer one graded and they have to give it a 9.8!

I keep this one in my safety deposit box of the bank I just bought.

893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

After this I take time to pay a visit to the 9.6 buyer in the Hospital after he has a heart attack to give him some flowers and wish him well.

flowerred.gif

Next step is to get the next best one graded at 9.4 and trade it for the best Tech 27 (is there a 9.4 copy?).

Now I own both ultimate grails!

cloud9.gif

The remaining 16 are graded and sold off one by one until the last one which I keep as a raw 8.5/9.0 reader! I can wave it under everybody's nose if they doubt I was the guy who found them.

acclaim.gif