• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cliff Notes for the Jan Heritage Auction Thread?

33 posts in this topic

Timulty got grader notes but was too timid to post them because he was afraid that CGC would find that Timulty got the notes and posted them so instead Timulty just announced in a public forum that he had them and would PM them. Comic Supply, who got the notes from Timulty, then posted them but kept things secret by not announcing that they came from Timulty who then replied why he hadn't wanted to post the notes so it's obviously not his fault and Timulty shouldn't be the first to go when CGC clears the boards. So anyway, these are the notes that Timulty got.

Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 4.0 0043270016 3 graders @ 4.0. Spine Wear, Possible Sub Crease, Edge Wear, 2 Centerfolds Detached.

Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 7.5 0069391002 3 graders @8.0, 2 graders @7.5 Bend Mid-Front, Light Edge Wear, Light Stains Top of Cover, Light Finger print on Y, Cover Loose.

Boy Comics Edgar Church 17 9.0 0721664004 3 graders @ 9.0, Slight Staple Tears, Shadow Top Back Cover

Borock responded:

I wasn't going to come on until Monday because

A) I have been out with the flu for the last 2&1/2 days and did not want to take time out today to research this. I need to grade comics for our clients, but because of many calls and emails, I have now spent way too much time on this and want it out of the way.

B) Because what we say here will not matter to the loudest complainers and conspiracy lovers. Most of whom (not all), if you read these boards, do not like CGC or want us around. After this they will just move on to the next thing to complain about.

And finally C) Because everyone would say "They only post on Friday's". But, at this point, I just don’t care, and am posting on Friday anyway.

I looked at the notes for all three submissions.

It looks like after the first submission, the staple (it’s a one staple book) was probably opened and then closed around the remaining paper of the two centerfolds that were detached. Those that think this cannot be done without reinforcement and is not done by some hobbyists whenever possible, don't know enough about comics, period.

Then it looks as if the third time it was submitted, it was probably pressed, hence the higher grade.

Here is the big news that many probably don't want to hear: HERITAGE NEVER SUBMITTED THAT BOOK. EVER. I looked up the submitters and not once did Heritage submit it.

Heritage is an auction house; they get consignments all day long from many different consigners, big and small. To assume that Heritage submits each and every book they auction is a very strange notion. Following that logic, then one must also conclude that Comiclink, Pedigree, and others (including convention only and ebay only sellers) submit every book they sell. Clearly that is a falsehood.

I hope this helps answer some questions, but as usual, I (or Mark and Paul) can always be reached at the office if more information is needed.

-Steve

Flying Donut pointed that this practice is not new. Like urban renewal it's goal is to lift poor comic sellers out of poverty.

Here are all of them. Sure looks like the one from March 2003 went from a 5.5 to a 9.0.

Current auction:

819039309o.jpg

April 2004 auction

810017057o.jpg

March 2003 auction

806086004o.jpg

February 2004 auction

809016019o.jpg

May 2003 auction

13051013002o.jpg

These two appear to be a different book than the first three scans, but still a nice little grade bump.

dmcsr posted:

Okay, so I've started my research on the Church Lev Gleasons currently on Heritage. So first book I start looking at is Daredevil #1:

Daredevil Comics #1 Mile High pedigree (Lev Gleason, 1941) CGC VF/NM 9.0 White pages Sold 12/02

Now, the current auction:

Daredevil Comics #1 Mile High pedigree (Lev Gleason, 1941) CGC NM 9.4 White pages.

Now, this isn't much of a grade bump, but I do notice at least one thing of interest. Take a look at the upper right corner of the book in the first auction. Little wrinkled, no? Well, apparently a couple of years took care of that little problem as the corner looks a lot nicer now in the new slab. Pressed? Also, the bit of dust-shadowing across the top edge of the front seems so much lighter in the new slab. Cleaned? "Minor" case, I suppose, but minor on a book like this could equal thousand of dollars, I would think. No big shakes for me as this book is way out of my price range, but still curious...

Back to my research!

First Link

Second Link

Timulty got grader notes but was too timid to post them because he was afraid that CGC would find that Timulty got the notes and posted them so instead Timulty just announced in a public forum that he had them and would PM them. Comic Supply, who got the notes from Timulty, then posted them but kept things secret by not announcing that they came from Timulty who then replied why he hadn't wanted to post the notes so it's obviously not his fault and Timulty shouldn't be the first to go when CGC clears the boards. So anyway, these are the notes that Timulty got.

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I heard CGC put a hit out on Timulty for his affrontery. gossip.gif

27_laughing.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

I heard CGC put a hit out on Timulty for his affrontery. gossip.gif

Don't worry Timulty, I'll represent you! hi.gif

I should, shouldn't I. hehehehehehe.

I hope I haven't offended. I wrote the note in jest before you had some of your other posts expressing your profound concern.

I don't think that you are in any danger.

Oh, I took it as humorous. If I were worried you would have had a mailbox full of PMs. On a lighter note, I can see where they got the character design for Bender of Futurama, just looking at your avatar. grin.gif