• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's the latest on the CGC Purple vs. Blue Label For Restored Books?

82 posts in this topic

I dont know.

It is amazing though that they are still banking on that collectors are stupid enough to pay more for a restored book if they give restored books a blue label.

What an insult.Mark my words,the opposite of there intention is going to happen.

We are not puppets to be manipulated.

This topic has been beaten to death. Enough..

Hadn't heard of this one. Figures, one more delimma I have to play catch up on. That would be the stupidest idea I've heard yet. But, then again they appear to give many restored books blue labels anyway.

There is an article in the latest Comic Buyer's guide about this very issue. They interview Steve. He basically says that the goal is to get more people to look at these restored books because when they had a purple label, the buyer saw the color and immediately dismissed the book. Since everything will be blue now, everyone will have to at least look at the books. The article also tells the difference between conserved and restored(interesting this, even though it's bull [embarrassing lack of self control]).

Sounds like a dealer or 2 might want to get rid of those restored books they've been stuck with since cgc came along and made it harder for dealers and others to doctor the books and pass them off as unrestored.(I know, I've read the Heritage and Ewert threads)

I do, however, like the criteria the article has on restoration and an assigned numerical grade for restoration - - from 0(?)-10. This has been needed for quite awhile.

Anyway, the article is in CBG # 1614 March 2006.

There is an article in the latest Comic Buyer's guide about this very issue. They interview Steve. He basically says that the goal is to get more people to look at these restored books because when they had a purple label, the buyer saw the color and immediately dismissed the book. Since everything will be blue now, everyone will have to at least look at the books. The article also tells the difference between conserved and restored(interesting this, even though it's bull [embarrassing lack of self control]).

Sounds like a dealer or 2 might want to get rid of those restored books they've been stuck with since cgc came along and made it harder for dealers and others to doctor the books and pass them off as unrestored.(I know, I've read the Heritage and Ewert threads)

I do, however, like the criteria the article has on restoration and an assigned numerical grade for restoration - - from 0(?)-10. This has been needed for quite awhile.

Anyway, the article is in CBG # 1614 March 2006.

The reason I don't look at restored books has nothing to do with the what color the label is. The label, just help people like me who don't want to buy restored books spot them faser in online buying venues. So what, now CGC thinks if they put them in blue labels, people like me who have no interested in purchasing restored books will suddenly be compelled to buy them? What influence with the CGC heirarchy planted this little seed. So are they keeping the green qualified label and yellow signature series label or are those books currently fetching the prices Heritage desires? confused-smiley-013.gif

So are they keeping the green qualified label and yellow signature series label or are those books currently fetching the prices Heritage desires

No word about this in the article, so I assume they are safe. And, hey, I'm with you on restored books. Even when I was purchasing 50's horror no restored books(to my knowledge) ever passed through my hands. Don't plan to buy any now either.

I think the green is going bye bye, while the yellow stays. Hey, if you are going to get rid of some of the colors, why don't they get rid of all of them besides blue?

They won't get rid of Yellow because this label signifies a "premium"... a positive connotation, unlike the purple and green which carry negative connotations.

I think the green is going bye bye, while the yellow stays. Hey, if you are going to get rid of some of the colors, why don't they get rid of all of them besides blue?

Yep. it looks like you're right. The green is turning blue as well. Only the yellow will stay. You can look at some samples I found posted on Deathlocks blog:

http://moocowcomics.blogspot.com/2005/11/new-cgc-labels.html

If these aren't confusing, I don't know what is. Any one notice Matt Nelson's article for the gpanalysis email? He talked about the undervalued restored comics. I have the link up in another thread. I'm glad I found that link too...I did not know he was spectre52 from Classics Incorporated and that he offers "conservation" work for comics to obtain ultra HG resubmits. If you want to see some really good side by side pics of his work and increased value he adds to comics, then check out his site. I now can suspect every book sold by him to have been significantly upgraded through his handywork and can add him along with reynoldjay to the ever growing list of sellers/dealers who do this type of thing. frown.gif

I did not know he was spectre52 from Classics Incorporated and that he offers "conservation" work for comics to obtain ultra HG resubmits. If you want to see some really good side by side pics of his work and increased value he adds to comics, then check out his site. I now can suspect every book sold by him to have been significantly upgraded through his handywork and can add him along with reynoldjay to the ever growing list of sellers/dealers who do this type of thing. frown.gif

For some time I have presumed that any book offered by Matt Nelson has been "massaged" to maximum grade value. Since his costs to clean and press are essentially nothing, my guess is that his business model would involve acquiring books that are easily "upgradable," then doing what he has to do to maximize grade.

Secondly, he has the ability to upgrade books for which it would be cost inefficient for anyone else. For instance, he can turn a $30 6.5 into a $75 8.0... something the rest of us wouldn't bother with because it would be a break even at best.

Now, let me make it clear I am not coming down on him for doing this. While the C&P game bothers me and I think the game favors BSDs to the detriment of regular collectors, I can't personally condemn Matt for working within the current system to maximize revenue. He's a decent guy and I'd probably do the same thing if I had his skills set.

I did not know he was spectre52 from Classics Incorporated and that he offers "conservation" work for comics to obtain ultra HG resubmits. If you want to see some really good side by side pics of his work and increased value he adds to comics, then check out his site. I now can suspect every book sold by him to have been significantly upgraded through his handywork and can add him along with reynoldjay to the ever growing list of sellers/dealers who do this type of thing. frown.gif

For some time I have presumed that any book offered by Matt Nelson has been "massaged" to maximum grade value. Since his costs to clean and press are essentially nothing, my guess is that his business model would involve acquiring books that are easily "upgradable," then doing what he has to do to maximize grade.

Secondly, he has the ability to upgrade books for which it would be cost inefficient for anyone else. For instance, he can turn a $30 6.5 into a $75 8.0... something the rest of us wouldn't bother with because it would be a break even at best.

Now, let me make it clear I am not coming down on him for doing this. While the C&P game bothers me and I think the game favors BSDs to the detriment of regular collectors, I can't personally condemn Matt for working within the current system to maximize revenue. He's a decent guy and I'd probably do the same thing if I had his skills set.

I guess that's the real problem..."the rules of the game". I believe that it's the big sellers/dealers who lobbied CGC for the acceptance of pressed/cleaned comics. It's true that per CGC standards he's not breaking any of their rules. However, think back before CGC came around and think about how people would have felt and viewed someone selling them a raw book that had this done to it without disclosing it. It's like CGC came along and said it's OK (albeit not publicly for a long time) so it has to be to the rest of the world too.

Does anyone know what CGC plans to do regarding resubmits of old purple labels ? You have a PLOD and you want it to be recertified in their new holder are they going to just make you pay the reholdering fee or are they going to charge you to grade the book again. I really hope its no the second option but it wouldnt surprise me.

He basically says that the goal is to get more people to look at these restored books because when they had a purple label, the buyer saw the color and immediately dismissed the book. Since everything will be blue now, everyone will have to at least look at the books.

Or to put it another way there hoping you will be stupid enough to pay more for a restored book simply because it doesnt have a purple label.

I think restored books will be scrutinized all the more because you will be focusing on the flaws all the more under this system.

The truth is alot more books are restored than you can ever know.Even the heralded MILE HIGH key books are riddled with restoration. So so many vintage comics are restored[a large percentage no dought] That they had to come up with some kind of idea to raise there values because there is no escaping restored books.They are every where,They are a part of this hobby and they are here to stay.That is why all this is being done.

It's so funny. I'm still going to look at the label and now as soon as I see the restored blue label, I'm going to dismiss the book just the same as when it had the purple label. If I want an unrestored book, then the color of the label isn't going to sway me over.