• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Trim JIM in Heritage Auction

829 posts in this topic

Let me ask you this?

1. Have you ever had a conversation about any of this directly with Doug?

2. Have you ever purchased anything from Pedigree Comics in the past?

3. Do you ever intend on purchasing anything from Pedigree Comics in the future?

4. Do you have a nickel at stake in any of this?

5. Care to describe what dog you have in this fight?

Please...continue on.

Shades of BHD? insane.gif

Let me ask you this?

3. Do you ever intend on purchasing anything from Pedigree Comics in the future?

Please...continue on.

Shades of BHD? insane.gif

Does any of this stop you from endlessly attacking

PGX?

1)I've asked Doug several questions but he prefers to let others do his non-answering for him.

2) Whom I buy or sell books to is certainly none of your business,Mr McCarthy.

3) I tend not to buy from sellers caught selling tainted goods

4)With several hundred thousand dollars tied up in this hobby,I believe I have quite a bit at stake here. Do you only go after scammers that have a direct economic impact on you?

5) It is my opinion that exposing a person who claims to be the largest seller of CGC books is at least as worthy as tieing a fifth-rate CGC imitator to a suspect dealer for,what is it now,the umpteeth time?

What exactly is your dog in the fight?

How many times will you proclaim this thread dead before you simply ignore it?

Top of the page,folks. Thanks to all the haters out there.

Hate to tell you but you're looking like the biggest hater of them all. You insistance on pushing your agenda is looking like nothing less than a personal vendetta fueled only by anger and stubborness.

Let me ask you this?

Please...continue on.

Aaaargh again I am compelled to summary.

1. Red you've made some great posts in your time here, sadly this is not one of them.

2. Look I will say it again and again. Doug knew it was an Ewert book. In fact he discussed it with Brulato, was emailed and told about it what 2-3 times. I don't care if he produces the dead sea scrolls - the timeline means nothing here, the key is HE WAS AWARE. The issue relvoves around whether you believe he forgot about the information he was given. IF you believe that, then Doug is GUILTY IMO of failing to exercise due diligence on this book and nothing more.

If on the other hand you do not believe that he forgot, then HE IS GUILTY OF SEEKING TO LAUNDER THE BOOK.

Either way IMO he dropped the ball on this one.

3. And while I think his raking over the coals is somewhat justified. He is also NOT alone. Look when Ewertgate broke I can guarantee you the first instinct that hit people was that of SELF PRESERVATION. Jason Ewert had hundreds of thousands of dollars in comic books pass through his hands - the analogy of hot potatoes has NEVER been more appropriate. Let me ask you all these questions.

- Do you seriously think all the books have been caught by CGC?

- Do you seriously think that people were not resubbing BEFORE Steve finally confirmed that there was an issue with the VIA account?

- Do you seriously think that VIA was the only account Ewert subbed books through, an account that would link him and his partners directly??

- Do you seriously believe the Date range of 8 months that CGC has indicated they feel this was occuring? Jason was actively selling HG books for 2 years makepoint.gif

And jbud, you've basically proven my point. Everyone has already made their own personal call on this. I will continue to give Doug my very occasional business, and if that irks anyone, too bad. If he messes with me, I'll drop him like a stone.

If I wrote off every dealer that wasn't above suspicion, I can't think of any dealer that would make the cut. If there was evidence of a pattern of misbehavior I'd approach this differently. That's just the way I feel. This will be my last post in this thread. I will enjoy seeing it sink like a stone in the thread standings.

Now excuse me, I have to get back to torching PGX! People are actually interested in that thread!

Have a good evening gentlemen. thumbsup2.gif

Oh, one last word. Actually two. For Shad......

"anger management" flowerred.gif

Top of the page,folks. Thanks to all the haters out there.

Hate to tell you but you're looking like the biggest hater of them all. You insistance on pushing your agenda is looking like nothing less than a personal vendetta fueled only by anger and stubborness.

Let me ask you this?

Please...continue on.

Aaaargh again I am compelled to summary.

1. Red you've made some great posts in your time here, sadly this is not one of them.

2. Look I will say it again and again. Doug knew it was an Ewert book. In fact he discussed it with Brulato, was emailed and told about it what 2-3 times. I don't care if he produces the dead sea scrolls - the timeline means nothing here, the key is HE WAS AWARE. The issue relvoves around whether you believe he forgot about the information he was given. IF you believe that, then Doug is GUILTY IMO of failing to exercise due diligence on this book and nothing more.

If on the other hand you do not believe that he forgot, then HE IS GUILTY OF SEEKING TO LAUNDER THE BOOK.

Either way IMO he dropped the ball on this one.

3. And while I think his raking over the coals is somewhat justified. He is also NOT alone. Look when Ewertgate broke I can guarantee you the first instinct that hit people was that of SELF PRESERVATION. Jason Ewert had hundreds of thousands of dollars in comic books pass through his hands - the analogy of hot potatoes has NEVER been more appropriate. Let me ask you all these questions.

- Do you seriously think all the books have been caught by CGC?

- Do you seriously think that people were not resubbing BEFORE Steve finally confirmed that there was an issue with the VIA account?

- Do you seriously think that VIA was the only account Ewert subbed books through, an account that would link him and his partners directly??

- Do you seriously believe the Date range of 8 months that CGC has indicated they feel this was occuring? Jason was actively selling HG books for 2 years makepoint.gif

jbud73, great post.

I agree with you on most of this. I have absolutely no doubt that there are freshly decreed Ewert trim free books floating in shiny blue holders.

I also believe the CGC date line for Ewert trimmed books about as much as I believe masterbation will make you go blind. To trim a book worth the money he was dealing with immediately is ridiculus. The timeline has to extend beyond what CGC states, things just don't work out. I also think the missed trimmed stuff was likely going on before Chris left CGC so people getting woodies over his return are premature. I also have serious doubt that Ewert has disappeared from the hobby. There are plenty of crooks out there that will help him submit to CGC, CGC can't detect the trimming unless they are told the book has been trimmed (if I am wrong here, how did this book make it through twice!), and selling on Ebay is completely through the shadows.

This is where I have to agree with Hook, if I quite dealing with every crooked comic dealer, I would not have anyone to buy from. This hobby has so many crooked people in it that I have almost quite collecting more times than I can count because I get so disgusted with it. Will this change? of course not. Any honest dealer become tainted because they get tired of selling books to dealers only to see the books reach their full potential.

As far as Doug is concerned, in my mind he is a crook, plan and simple. If he wasn't, would he have lost his ability to practise law? And given how he screwed people in the worst position to be cheated that he knew, I would say he would be willing to take advantage of me given the opportunity. Will I deal with him? It really depends, but I would definitely have to think real long and hard. As far as the trimmed book, I don't know the truth and I seriously doubt I ever will. Knowing the truth still does not change his other actions.

Alan,

That's where you don't get it. I only had one express dropped off on Sept. 12. As I told Brent (he had emailed me and I got back to him last nite), the other books I brought with me were moderns, economies and I believe one walk through.

The JIM 92 would have been put on its own submission form (by whoever filled it out from customer service) as it was the only express I had in my box at that time. If there were other expresses, they would have been put on that form as well and graded along with the JIM 92 (and would have had the same beginning cert #s).

Also, I did not call them after Scott's email to me. I called them before that (most likely on October 3rd as I wanted to give them 3 weeks before my scheduled trip of October 24th). If I called them on the 6th, the submission form would have probably been dated the 9th or so. Trust me, if you saw my Amex statement from a page after one of the ones I faxed to Brad, you'd see a whopping bulk payment to CGC (they charged me in the middle of the month that month (September)) in the thousands. They similarly charged me around the middle of the month of October for a bulk payment. Currently, it's in the very beginning or very end of the month(s).

Alan, I hope that helps. I know you are trying to make sense of this and I am here to answer any questions you have. Just try to put any notions of deceit, etc. out of your mind as that was simply not the case.

Doug

Alan,

That's where you don't get it. I only had one express dropped off on Sept. 12. As I told Brent (he had emailed me and I got back to him last nite), the other books I brought with me were moderns, economies and I believe one walk through.

The JIM 92 would have been put on its own submission form (by whoever filled it out from customer service) as it was the only express I had in my box at that time. If there were other expresses, they would have been put on that form as well and graded along with the JIM 92 (and would have had the same beginning cert #s).

Also, I did not call them after Scott's email to me. I called them before that (most likely on October 3rd as I wanted to give them 3 weeks before my scheduled trip of October 24th). If I called them on the 6th, the submission form would have probably been dated the 9th or so. Trust me, if you saw my Amex statement from a page after one of the ones I faxed to Brad, you'd see a whopping bulk payment to CGC (they charged me in the middle of the month that month (September)) in the thousands. They similarly charged me around the middle of the month of October for a bulk payment. Currently, it's in the very beginning or very end of the month(s).

Alan, I hope that helps. I know you are trying to make sense of this and I am here to answer any questions you have. Just try to put any notions of deceit, etc. out of your mind as that was simply not the case.

Doug

Ladies and gentlemen this is what we call in Politics a Non-denial / Denial - executed to perfection. I for one must applaud and see the inherit beauty of it 893applaud-thumb.gif Bravo!

Alan,

Doug

Ladies and gentlemen this is what we call in Politics a Non-denial / Denial - executed to perfection. I for one must applaud and see the inherit beauty of it 893applaud-thumb.gif Bravo!

Hey Doug,

Is this your final,final version of events?

Now you called to have it resubbed before the email?

Was this before or after you had to talk it over with the books owner,as it was on consignment?

And just how did you show the book to Brulato when it was at CGC when you were informed of the trimming?

Six weeks and thats the best you could come up with? screwy.gif

And jbud, you've basically proven my point. Everyone has already made their own personal call on this. I will continue to give Doug my very occasional business, and if that irks anyone, too bad. If he messes with me, I'll drop him like a stone.

If I wrote off every dealer that wasn't above suspicion, I can't think of any dealer that would make the cut. If there was evidence of a pattern of misbehavior I'd approach this differently. That's just the way I feel. This will be my last post in this thread. I will enjoy seeing it sink like a stone in the thread standings.

Now excuse me, I have to get back to torching PGX! People are actually interested in that thread!

Have a good evening gentlemen. thumbsup2.gif

Oh, one last word. Actually two. For Shad......

"anger management" flowerred.gif

Actually Red I don't want to drag you in on this one, but my decision was not personal. I looked at what Brent and FFB (Scott) had presented as valid information, this has not been disputed by Doug. I then read his account of dealing with the book and speaking to Brulato about it. Finally I pieced together that all he did while the book was in his possession is resub it. However, throughout this entire resub process he never made Steve or CGC aware of the strong assertions (That Brent Knew it to be an Ewert book) made by the person he bought it off of, even though it was public knowledge CGC was looking to recheck for trimming.

When I take these factors into account and divulge myself of personal opinion over Doug (many people I respect have had a lot of praise for him) the only conclusion I can come up with is that he was extremely negligent with this book. I would have left it at that, however his explanatory posts and "I have no knowledge of that event Senator" teflon tactics and rhetoric make me think worse of the situation. Though he shows promise as a public official, I now wouldn't go near him with a nickel.

Hey Doug,

Is this your final,final version of events?

Now you called to have it resubbed before the email?

Was this before or after you had to talk it over with the books owner,as it was on consignment?

And just how did you show the book to Brulato when it was at CGC when you were informed of the trimming?

Six weeks and thats the best you could come up with? screwy.gif

For the love of pete..once and for all can we reach a verdict here! I've grown weary trying to keep up with this . I dont have the time, nor the good memory to go back and retrace the path it took to get us to this point.

Shad you seem to be playing prosecutor(on the boards, not TV), ask Doug very simple, very specific questions that can be answered in a yes or no format.

No long timelines here. Just the sticking points. Whatever it is that makes you think his story wont float. No kittyfooting around here. Say it now or leave it alone.

Doug, if you would please answer whatever questions Shad asks. I thought you had already. How bout 1 last time, then it will not be brought up again.

Or you can both ignore my request, eitherway works for me. Because the only dog I have doesnt fight, she growls alot, but not much for fighting.

Ze-

Just for the record-Doug has not answered a single question I've asked since mid-January,and the one time he did answer back then was mostly the "you know me better than to think I'd do something like that,sort of thing",dispite overwhelming evidence that he did exactly what he was semi-denying doing.

For those of you who seem to think that all comic dealers are scum and thieves-I'm sorry that has been your experiance in this hobby,but its far from true.

There are quite a few dealers in our hobby that are beyond reproach.Pehaps some don't have the most pleasing personality,or the best websites,but there is zero reason for anyone to deal with someone they suspect is not on the up and up.There are plenty of threads on these and other boards that will direct you to some.

Just for the record-Doug has not answered a single question I've asked since mid-January,and the one time he did answer back then was mostly the "you know me better than to think I'd do something like that,sort of thing",dispite overwhelming evidence that he did exactly what he was semi-denying doing.

For those of you who seem to think that all comic dealers are scum and thieves-I'm sorry that has been your experiance in this hobby,but its far from true.

There are quite a few dealers in our hobby that are beyond reproach.Pehaps some don't have the most pleasing personality,or the best websites,but there is zero reason for anyone to deal with someone they suspect is not on the up and up.There are plenty of threads on these and other boards that will direct you to some.

Hrmmmmm... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I dont see any simple questions.

No more questions your honor.

Verdict, buy books from Doug if it doesn't bother you, or dont if it does.

Can we let it go now? Is it over?

Ze-

When I take these factors into account and divulge myself of personal opinion over Doug (many people I respect have had a lot of praise for him) the only conclusion I can come up with is that he was extremely negligent with this book. I would have left it at that, however his explanatory posts and "I have no knowledge of that event Senator" teflon tactics and rhetoric make me think worse of the situation. Though he shows promise as a public official, I now wouldn't go near him with a nickel.

You are a tw-at aren't you. On the one hand readily admit peoples opinions you value have conceded favourable opinions of Doug, yet you yourself on the basis of your maligned logic have concluded him a fraudster of the highest order. Your the only one sticking with 'your' logic, and your grabbing at threads here, and not remotely considering any other plausibilities. You attempt simply to prove your line of resoning, rather then negating other possibilities. Quite the righteous ego trip, and listen to your friends. All I can say, is the hobby is better off without your narrow mindedness being interjected.

[You are a tw-at aren't you. On the one hand readily admit peoples opinions you value have conceded favourable opinions of Doug, yet you yourself on the basis of your maligned logic have concluded him a fraudster of the highest order. Your the only one sticking with 'your' logic, and your grabbing at threads here, and not remotely considering any other plausibilities. You attempt simply to prove your line of resoning, rather then negating other possibilities. Quite the righteous ego trip, and listen to your friends. All I can say, is the hobby is better off without your narrow mindedness being interjected.

Actually...I happen to agree with Shad and JBud. I've moved away from this thread because it's clear, in my opinion, that Doug resubbed the JIM with the knowledge it was an Ewert trim. Doug hasn't explained anything to really refute that and has only provided supporting info that far from makes his case and frankly looks like a misdirect...

Don't mistake silence as support for Doug or buying his story. It's completely opposite in my case and looks clear for my vantage point, and this includes his stance on pressing, he's playing the scum dealer game with all the other usual subjects...

Jim