• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Greatest Copper Age Character

134 posts in this topic

John Constantine (1985) even though the idiotic debate has seen Bronze seemingly extent into 1983-4 something I will fight until the end (can't 893censored-thumb.gif the baby boomers are dictating my choldhood comics era Christo_pull_hair.gif timeline) its safe I think to say that 1985 is Copper.

He has carried a solo title for 200+ issues now. I can think of a lot of supposedly B list, or potential A list characters who cannot say the same thing. Movie, check like it or not - I was mixed.

He has been the core stability of an entirely new publishing arc in comics the Vertigo line and has outlasted even his spawning titles of Swamp Thing for longevity and been one of the mainstays of the DC Universe for the last 20 years.

Please feel free to debate second place - case closed. sumo.gif

John Constantine (1985)...has carried a solo title for 200+ issues now. I can think of a lot of supposedly B list, or potential A list characters who cannot say the same thing. Movie, check like it or not - I was mixed.

He has been the core stability of an entirely new publishing arc in comics the Vertigo line and has outlasted even his spawning titles of Swamp Thing for longevity and been one of the mainstays of the DC Universe for the last 20 years.

given these arguments...i guess you have Cerebus as your number one Bronze Age character then, eh? i mean, if you're really using the conditions as stated, it's not even close

John Constantine (1985)...has carried a solo title for 200+ issues now. I can think of a lot of supposedly B list, or potential A list characters who cannot say the same thing. Movie, check like it or not - I was mixed.

given these arguments...i guess you have Cerebus as your number one Bronze Age character then, eh? i mean, if you're really using the conditions as stated, it's not even close

I don't remeber seeing a Cerebus movie... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

No punisher, wolvie and Conan would all still score very high given my criteria.

bah. as if Sim would let them make one.

okay, so...all the criteria mentioned above, save the movie one must lead one to the conclusion that Cerebus was the best BA character.

carried a solo title for 300 issues, revolutionised (which i guess satisfies the core stability requirement) an entire genre - the self-publishers (not to mention black and white non-underground books), was one of the mainstays in the Independent genre for over 20 years.

mostly tongue in cheek here guys. don't come out of a bag on me or nothing. just think that Constantine ain't the answer to the question in this here thread, is all

I am a big fan of ole JC. One of the things he has going for him, is that his title helped establish a mature readers imprint. But in reality, if you want to define Copper Age, you are probably looking at TMNT. Movie's aside, they changed the industry as a whole. The independents would probably not have lasted were it not for TMNT popularity. The Age's seem to be defined by what changes or influences the industry. Action #1 changed Funny Books into comic books. Showcase #4, brought superheroes back to forefront of stories. GL/GA #76(at least for DC) brought real world social issues to story telling. So, if it isn't TMNT, then you would have to look at Watchmen or DKR Batman, because of the Hyper-reality story telling they represented. Since Watchmen post dates DKR and Batman was pretty much pre-existing then you are left with TMNT. Those were some good books by the way!! grin.gif

okay, so...all the criteria mentioned above, save the movie one must lead one to the conclusion that Cerebus was the best BA character.

carried a solo title for 300 issues, revolutionised (which i guess satisfies the core stability requirement) an entire genre - the self-publishers (not to mention black and white non-underground books), was one of the mainstays in the Independent genre for over 20 years.

mostly tongue in cheek here guys. don't come out of a bag on me or nothing. just think that Constantine ain't the answer to the question in this here thread, is all

I agree with your signature line poke2.gif

I agree with your signature line poke2.gif

frustrated.gif

you and everyone else, apparently