• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DD #7 CGC 9.4 white Western Penn on the 'Link

84 posts in this topic

Is this the same Tom I returned near mint runs of Showcase 34-36 and B&B 34-36 back in the late 80's or early 90's? Still ranks up in my top ten dumbest moves. 893applaud-thumb.gif

keith :

hi.gif

Tom

Ouch!!! those books in NM are both rare and valuable.............the best of my lot of those six came back an 8.0................. frown.gif

the WPA copy sold on ebay in 2002 or 2003 for about $5500 from memory

That's true, but 9.2's are selling in the $3500-4000 range now 893whatthe.gif

Is this the same Tom I returned near mint runs of Showcase 34-36 and B&B 34-36 back in the late 80's or early 90's? Still ranks up in my top ten dumbest moves.

keith

Keith, what were you thinking?! That these books weren't sharp enough? screwy.gif

Anyways, rest assured that other than the Showcase 34, all of the books you mentioned have found a happy home. wink.gif

Hi Tom!!This was back in time where we still used the term "Mint". The B&B 34 had a few stress lines as did one of the other books, hell, I can't remember which one. It was a deal for all 6 books and Tom took them back. I wish he hadn't that's for sure. I was a ridiculously picky buyer at the time. They were all very nice. Don't know how they graded. I expected them to be perfect which is crazy. In retrospect, the only "perfect" SA DC's I ever landed were the Hawkman Western Pa run. I don't know how they've graded over teh years but they were stunning and much nicer than the DD7. As an aside, Pedigree just sold a DD 7 9.2 with white pages in the $3300 range. It's got a transfer stain also. The Western Pa didn't as I remember

keth

Hi Tom!!This was back in time where we still used the term "Mint". The B&B 34 had a few stress lines as did one of the other books, hell, I can't remember which one. It was a deal for all 6 books and Tom took them back. I wish he hadn't that's for sure. I was a ridiculously picky buyer at the time. They were all very nice. Don't know how they graded. I expected them to be perfect which is crazy. In retrospect, the only "perfect" SA DC's I ever landed were the Hawkman Western Pa run. I don't know how they've graded over teh years but they were stunning and much nicer than the DD7. As an aside, Pedigree just sold a DD 7 9.2 with white pages in the $3300 range. It's got a transfer stain also. The Western Pa didn't as I remember

keth

Hi Keith: I still have the letters that we exchanged over that transaction, after all I am a collector. Tim Hui TTH2 now owns the B&B 34-36 and Showcase 35 & 36. He didn't manage to pick up the 34.

He has posted scans of the books a few times in the 10 Cent thread.

Tom

PS: You should have seen the Flash run! Unless you are talking about the W PA Hawkman 1-10 that was on the market lately, you had the reading copies of the OO. acclaim.gif

Is this the same Tom I returned near mint runs of Showcase 34-36 and B&B 34-36 back in the late 80's or early 90's? Still ranks up in my top ten dumbest moves.

keith

Keith, what were you thinking?! That these books weren't sharp enough? screwy.gif

Anyways, rest assured that other than the Showcase 34, all of the books you mentioned have found a happy home. wink.gif

Hi Tom!!This was back in time where we still used the term "Mint". The B&B 34 had a few stress lines as did one of the other books, hell, I can't remember which one. It was a deal for all 6 books and Tom took them back. I wish he hadn't that's for sure. I was a ridiculously picky buyer at the time. They were all very nice. Don't know how they graded. I expected them to be perfect which is crazy. In retrospect, the only "perfect" SA DC's I ever landed were the Hawkman Western Pa run. I don't know how they've graded over teh years but they were stunning and much nicer than the DD7.

Keith, the grades on these books came out very well:

B&B 34... CGC 9.4

B&B 35... CGC 9.4

B&B 36... CGC 9.4

Showcase 34... CGC 9.4

Showcase 35... CGC 9.6

Showcase 36... CGC 9.6

Your memory of the Western Penn Hawkman run is very good. The slabbed copies I've seen probably average 9.6.

Hi Keith: I still have the letters that we exchanged over that transaction, after all I am a collector.

Any chance we could get the letters reproduced here? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Tim Hui TTH2 now owns the B&B 34-36 and Showcase 35 & 36. He didn't manage to pick up the 34.

From the scans, the WP Showcase 34 was actually not as nice as my copy, which is why I never went hard for it. By the way, Tom, I heard the WP copy just sold for $12K or so on Comiclink.

PS: You should have seen the Flash run!

Yes, it's very nice! grin.gif

who has the Flash run? are they raw or slabbed?

I slabbed the Flash 123-166 run a few years ago. Truly amazing books. I have a

few raw books left, I don't know if they are going to be entombed.

TTH2 I believe owns some of the run but passed on many of the less than 9.4 criteria that he has for his collection. It's been awhile since the run has been together.

It was a thing of beauty seeing all those consecutively numbered high grade comics all in one place. Probably won't happen again! sorry.gif

Tom

Your memory of the Western Penn Hawkman run is very good. The slabbed copies I've seen probably average 9.6.

There were duplicates of 1-10 in the Hawkman run from the W PA collection. The books that Tim is referring to were the best of the group.

Keith's books were the reading copies and sold in the late 80's early 90's. The OO bought duplicates of many books, #1's some as many as 10 copies.

The cover reflectivity and colors, especially the blue, on B&B 34 is the best I have seen. It's a sight to see out of the plastic, but I don't think Tim will crack it! cool.gif

Tom

PS: 1989 Sold For Prices to JKC Christo_pull_hair.gif

Showcase 34,35,36 300,95,95

B&B 34,35,36 375, 100, 100

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but a gorgeous Pacific Coast DD#7 CGC 9.2 with white pages is now on sale on Pedigree for $4,000. Kind of makes the premium for the 9.4's look beyond ridiculous.

That book was a 9.0 and was the original DD 7 sold by PCE.

Tom

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but a gorgeous Pacific Coast DD#7 CGC 9.2 with white pages is now on sale on Pedigree for $4,000. Kind of makes the premium for the 9.4's look beyond ridiculous.

Tom

I bought that book raw from PCE and sent it to CGC myself. Its original CGC grade was a 9.2.

I traded it away a few years ago. It looks like somebody tried for an upgrade as it has a new label and cert number.

Tom

I bought that book raw from PCE and sent it to CGC myself. Its original CGC grade was a 9.2.

I traded it away a few years ago. It looks like somebody tried for an upgrade as it has a new label and cert number.

popcorn.gif