• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DD #7 CGC 9.4 white Western Penn on the 'Link

84 posts in this topic

That book was a 9.0 and was the original DD 7 sold by PCE.

Tom

I bought that book raw from PCE and sent it to CGC myself. Its original CGC grade was a 9.2.

I traded it away a few years ago. It looks like somebody tried for an upgrade as it has a new label and cert number.

Hi GT: I believe Doug had told me that the DD 7 that PCE sold was graded a 9.0. confused-smiley-013.gif

If you owned it and had it slabbed you should know.

My apologies to the thread for the misinformation.

Best, Tom

I bought that book raw from PCE and sent it to CGC myself. Its original CGC grade was a 9.2.

I traded it away a few years ago. It looks like somebody tried for an upgrade as it has a new label and cert number.

Well who wouldn't, with a 9.4 selling for potentially $18K. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmakepoint.gif

Not sure if this has been mentioned already but a gorgeous Pacific Coast DD#7 CGC 9.2 with white pages is now on sale on Pedigree for $4,000. Kind of makes the premium for the 9.4's look beyond ridiculous.

That book was a 9.0 and was the original DD 7 sold by PCE.

Tom

It does look like a 9.2 and sure is purdy with those white pages.

27_laughing.gif Well done, Ben, I knew you could do it if you just had the proper motivation. thumbsup2.gif I wasn't happy with the scans of the books before, so if I have time this weekend I will rescan them and post them here.

Okay, Ben, here are the Western Penn B&B 34, 35 and 36. I'll put up the Showcases later.

BB34.jpg

BB35.jpg

BB36.jpg

A lot of those early books spent a good part of their early existence outside on loading docks,street corners,and newsstands.Those books were all on the stands in the winter months and I've often wondered if a combination of varying qualities of newsprint and exposure to the elements may have something to do with it.FF13 Iis a comic that I've noticed to be difficult to find with nice pages and it was also a winter book.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

p.s.I remember reading somewhere that extreme changes in temperature hasten the breakdown process.

893whatthe.gifcloud9.gif

3 consecutive books, all from the same collection, all have diff pg quality. Weird.

The books were purchased at different news stands. These three books have always been together as a trio since the Collection was discovered, so it's not because of storage conditions.

Off course if they were resubbed maybe they would all have white pages. grin.gif

Tom

893whatthe.gifcloud9.gif

3 consecutive books, all from the same collection, all have diff pg quality. Weird.

The books were purchased at different news stands. These three books have always been together as a trio since the Collection was discovered, so it's not because of storage conditions.

Off course if they were resubbed maybe they would all have white pages. grin.gif

Tom

i pointed out recently that i have consecutive runs of many titles where the page quality goes from OW to OW/W to White on books purchased only a month apart, from the same store and stored exactly the same for 40+ years.

i believe that FFB's opinion of the paper's initial quality differing from month to month and even within the same issue makes sense to me...........

my White paged FF #'s 5 and 6 make no sense to me as i read those books a lot, yet the page quality is better then most of the other 30 issues, including the later ones (30-34) where my enthusiasm was waning................

and Tim; hail.gif

And as promised, here are the Western Penn Showcase #35 and #36. I don't own the #34. As nice as the WP B&Bs were, these 2 books are truly exceptional. Keith, I can maybe see why you returned the B&Bs and the Showcase 34 if you wanted perfection, because there are a few clearly visible defects (which are probably even more apparent when raw), but for the life of me I can't figure out what put you off about these two Showcases.

showcase35.jpg

showcase36.jpg

And as promised, here are the Western Penn Showcase #35 and #36. I don't own the #34. As nice as the WP B&Bs were, these 2 books are truly exceptional. Keith, I can maybe see why you returned the B&Bs and the Showcase 34 if you wanted perfection, because there are a few clearly visible defects (which are probably even more apparent when raw), but for the life of me I can't figure out what put you off about these two Showcases.

Tim: Why don't you post a scan of your Showcase 34. It would be nice to see a copy that can be compared to the Western Penn copy.

Tom

Tim: Why don't you post a scan of your Showcase 34. It would be nice to see a copy that can be compared to the Western Penn copy.

Tom

gossip.gif He did.

10 Cent Comics