• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Cover????

65 posts in this topic

I say this with all sincerity - as much as I appreciate the skill and talent of John Romita - no Romita cover is better than any Steranko cover.

i can think of at least a half-dozen Romita covers that are better than the cover to Strange Tales 167.

of course, i think ST 167 is probably the single most overrated cover in comic book history, so i do have a wee bias

ASM 50 is a classic cover mainly because its monochromatic and simple. It reads like a movie poster, and has a powerful effect right away, no clutter etc. But to my eye, Romitas drawing is simple and unexciting. Its like a sketch to me, unfinished and needs a better penciller and inker to reach the layouts full potential. I prefer the XMEN 50. Similar monochrome approach (always a nice artsy touch and helps avoid color clutter) but, the XMEN has a bit too much going on to be clean enough.

Essentially, to me, ASM and XMEN50 have cleaner layouts and color palettes, but ultimately fail to live up their layout's potential. But the Adams Deadman cover crackles with excitement! My eyes continuosly moves all around the image, finding new exciting touches in every corner. THATS a cover!

ASM 50 is a classic cover mainly because its monochromatic and simple. It reads like a movie poster, and has a powerful effect right away, no clutter etc. But to my eye, Romitas drawing is simple and unexciting. Its like a sketch to me, unfinished and needs a better penciller and inker to reach the layouts full potential. I prefer the XMEN 50. Similar monochrome approach (always a nice artsy touch and helps avoid color clutter) but, the XMEN has a bit too much going on to be clean enough.

Essentially, to me, ASM and XMEN50 have cleaner layouts and color palettes, but ultimately fail to live up their layout's potential. But the Adams Deadman cover crackles with excitement! My eyes continuosly moves all around the image, finding new exciting touches in every corner. THATS a cover!

Adams is the better artist of the 3. He has the dramatics, the design, and the artistic ability. As good as Romita and Steranko are, there's nothing lacking in Adam's art like there there is in their's.

gossip.gif I hadn't thought of that particular book as the best but I definitely like it.

As far as Adams goes,two of my faves would have to be X-men 59 and Detective 400.It wouldn't surprise me to see the original art to the 400 break the hundred grand barrier.That Strange Adventures 216 is another masterpiece.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

I say this with all sincerity - as much as I appreciate the skill and talent of John Romita - no Romita cover is better than any Steranko cover.

You said it perfectly. Romita is quite possibly the most overrated Silver Age artist. If he hadn't worked on Spider-Man, and only did work on Daredevil or some second or third tier character, I highly doubt he'd have the recognition he has today.

And Steranko was able to build his reputation by working mainly on a third tier character, Nick Fury, and a handful (2 X-Men issues, 3 Cap issues, a horror story and a romance story) of other work for Marvel. If Steranko had illustrated Spider-Man for twenty issues instead of Nick Fury, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

As far as Adams goes,two of my faves would have to be X-men 59 and Detective 400.It wouldn't surprise me to see the original art to the 400 break the hundred grand barrier.That Strange Adventures 216 is another masterpiece.GOD BLESS...

hail.gif

1086238-X-men059.jpg

1086238-X-men059.jpg.962c393ae64ac4aaaaf6f0bae7a53860.jpg

hail.gif

1086238-X-men059.jpg

another great Adams cover. Just imagine this one being colored today - - the LAST MAN at that angle would be hovering above the art, like a computer readout... probably the effect Adams had in mind.

hey, when's Neal coming back???