• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High grade Batman run...comiclink focused auction

90 posts in this topic

I am 100% positive several of the Batman's have been pressed. Look at the 50 at the top and bottom spine, also if memory serves me one of the 53s is also pressed.

Yes, this ongoing situation facilitated by CGC makes it virtually impossible to bid on any slabbed books with all of this uncertainty in the marketplace. I can also understand the dealers' unwillingness to declare up front whether their books have been pressed or not.

After all, for the 10% of the marketplace who is aware of this situation and will step in and bid if the dealers do disclose upfront; they are probably afraid they'll lose the 90% of the market who is not aware of this situation and will suddenly have their eyes opened by this upfront disclosure. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Have you called Josh and asked him if particular books have been pressed? I have no idea if he'd tell you or not, but it's worth a phone call.

Yes, this would be very interesting to know since I believe we have never heard anything from Josh with respect to this issue of pressing.

Since his site does always does have some of the nicest books around, I have always assumed that there must be undisclosed pressing on some of his books. Since I am not sure which ones could have been improved to their FULL POTENTIAL with CGC's blessing, I simply stay away from his site since I hate to make uninformed purchasing decisions.

Yes, somebody should ask him and post his response here for everybody else. You never know, depending upon his answer, he could end up gaining quite a few more customers. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hey if a book can be improved without restoration then I am all for it! CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration. I think the Batman #50 is a beautiful book and I hope it can be had for a very reasonable price!

Hey if a book can be improved without restoration then I am all for it! CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration. I think the Batman #50 is a beautiful book and I hope it can be had for a very reasonable price!

gossip.gif Regardless of CGC's position, a book CAN'T be "improved" without some form of restoration. That's kind of the problem we've been having these days.

CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration and I can go along with that. If pressing bothers you stay away from books that you suspect of being pressed. The Batman #50 CGC 9.4 is doing pretty good in this auction, so I guess there are others who feel the same way I do.

CGC doesn't consider pressing to be restoration and I can go along with that. If pressing bothers you stay away from books that you suspect of being pressed.

Fair enough, and if you are bidding on something here I wish you luck, sincerely. I wasn't trashing the books...all of them are stunning and I'd be elated to take any of them home whether they were pressed or not (and I won't be, at the prices they're going to finish at). I only wish, as I think many of us do here, for there to be full disclosure of any work done to a book, from CGC and from any seller.

The book in question is advertised as the "highest graded", which is great...but if I were buying it, I would certainly want to know whether it's been a 9.4 for all its life, or whether it just "got that way" in the last few months...

The Batman #50 CGC 9.4 is doing pretty good in this auction, so I guess there are others who feel the same way I do.

...except that there's no disclosure of any work done here, so... confused-smiley-013.gif

My concern is that the spine looks bolwn out at the top and bottom, so maybe the rest is weakened.

I'd be surprised. CGC doesn't consider pressing to be resto, but they DO downgrade if pressing results in damage to the book.

Look at the top and bottom spine, not a bindery chip, and the corner bow out. Also, I had a Green Hornet 1 with the entire spine cracked through so you could see the underlying paper and yet still an 8.5? (which is why I sold it). I would have to have the book in hand to decide if something had been done to it.

I see what may be a tiny, perhaps 1/16th of an inch spine split at the top spine, and a minor scuff on the bottom of the spine. I have no idea if the book's been pressed or not, but those are certainly defects that I've seen in books that were not pressed.