• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High grade Batman run...comiclink focused auction

90 posts in this topic

Seemed like very healthy prices when you consider it was auction on Comiclink. Those looked like Heritage level prices on a number of the books.

I took down some prices from the last time many of these Batmans went at auction, when many didnt meet reserves-- and were now in this auction. Guess what? Prices were much lower on 90% of them. A few 9.4s hit higher prices, but that was it. Looks like the high bids that didnt meet the over-optimistic reserves last time were as good as it was gonna get on these books...

Discuss...

I also thought many prices were quite a bit lower than the previous sell. The Batman 68 sold for ~$1600 last time, this time $950. Several went this way. The Batman 66 7.5 was listed at $550 but only sold for $475 in the auction. The ones that went real high were the 9.4 and a few tough issues in 9.0 (57 and 65). I also wonder who on the boards picked up stuff.

I took down some prices from the last time many of these Batmans went at auction, when many didnt meet reserves-- and were now in this auction. Guess what? Prices were much lower on 90% of them. A few 9.4s hit higher prices, but that was it. Looks like the high bids that didnt meet the over-optimistic reserves last time were as good as it was gonna get on these books...

Discuss...

It's not surprising, given the number of Batman runs that have been put on the market in the last couple of years between Heritage and Comiclink. If I were a GA collector, Batman and All Star are probably the titles that I would put lower on my list of priorities just because the odds are good that any given issue will be available at some point in the near future, so no need to overpay when issues appear.

Discuss...

It's not surprising, given the number of Batman runs that have been put on the market in the last couple of years between Heritage and Comiclink. If I were a GA collector, Batman and All Star are probably the titles that I would put lower on my list of priorities just because the odds are good that any given issue will be available at some point in the near future, so no need to overpay when issues appear.

Makes sense. I was actually looking at starting a Batman run recently- when I looked to check on availability of issues 7-20 or so, I saw that literally a dozen copies of each book were available for purchase at any time. Numbers like that usually start to see a desirability gulf between high and low grades- making sales on anything but the highest books and good condition books a somewhat soft.

The #11 5.5 went for a fairly cheap ($1300).

Although, it did have some slight shadowing around the edges that seems to plague early Batmans.

If I had a little extra cash, I would have paid $1,300 for that book. Someone got a pretty good deal.

I think the restored #15 went for around $1,000.

I was pretty upset about the 9.4's. they all went high. I am figuring either Bullet or Mark bought them. I really wanted the 58 as that one and the 16 were my main focus. I figured 5000.00 on each of the 9.4s. All of the good ones like the 48,55,58 broke 6000.00. I bid 6000 on the 58 and still lost.

Although Batmans are incredibly common, certain issue just seem to be very hard to find in what I consider reasonable condition. Take issue 10 as an example. On any day, you can find 5+ copies around. For me, this was the hardest book to find and the last one I needed to finish the run. The reason is almost every copy I have seen has a dust shadow on the right edge or the white area is tanning. Look at how high the 8.5 went. If you are willing to take these defects, then it is an easy book, but if you aren't, real hard. The 56, 9.4 on CLINK hard the BEST registration I have EVER seen on this book. For some reason most of the nice copies have poor registration. Same story on #73. To date, I haven't seen a copy with good registration (I have 3 copies myself, all with poor registration). So, although having a copy is easy, for me, part of the quest is page quality, interior and exterior cover quality, and registration.

The two books I didn't get that I really wanted were the Batman 31 and 32. The 32 is pretty tough because a lot of high grade copies are miscut (look at the one Mark had that just sold through Heritage). The one on CLINK was nice and square and either it wasn't pressed or they did a good job on it. Even at 2k I think the person that bought it did pretty good.

As for the Detective run on Heritage, HANDS OFF!!! sumo.gif

Just kidding, I am waiting impatiently to see how they look. There are several I need and since I am only trying for clean 6.0 and better, there is a lot to pick from.

The #11 5.5 went for a fairly cheap ($1300).

Although, it did have some slight shadowing around the edges that seems to plague early Batmans.

If I had a little extra cash, I would have paid $1,300 for that book. Someone got a pretty good deal.

I think the restored #15 went for around $1,000.

I wish the #15 hadn't fallen off my radar. I would have gone higher than 1K. Heck, it only had a cleaned cover.

The two books I didn't get that I really wanted were the Batman 31 and 32. The 32 is pretty tough because a lot of high grade copies are miscut (look at the one Mark had that just sold through Heritage). The one on CLINK was nice and square and either it wasn't pressed or they did a good job on it. Even at 2k I think the person that bought it did pretty good.

thumbsup2.gif