• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High grade Batman run...comiclink focused auction

90 posts in this topic

Im curious about something, and hope others here know the answer. So far we have seen a few Pedigree Batmans come up for sale, here and there. But no Churches, Allentowns, Penns etc. Im not sure which Pedigrees HAD full runs, but my question is, how big a grain of salt should we take with ANY book lower than 9.0 that is marketed as Highest Graded copy? How about the 7.5s and 8.0s above #50 that are the Best so far? Arent there at least 2 or 3 BETTER copies raw out there?

I passed on a raw VF copy of #15 about 10 years ago and still regret it.it had been downgraded to fine because of foxing and had white pages.the art in that issue is superb.A 9.2 for a grand?Just because of SLIGHT restoration?I don't get it.I have to admit,it would be very hard for me to not break that one out of the slab.That was probably the best buy of the entire auction.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

Im curious about something, and hope others here know the answer. So far we have seen a few Pedigree Batmans come up for sale, here and there. But no Churches, Allentowns, Penns etc. Im not sure which Pedigrees HAD full runs, but my question is, how big a grain of salt should we take with ANY book lower than 9.0 that is marketed as Highest Graded copy? How about the 7.5s and 8.0s above #50 that are the Best so far? Arent there at least 2 or 3 BETTER copies raw out there?

You do realize print runs on superhero books in the 1950's were lower than the '40's? It's not that surprising to me that 7.0s and 8.0s are the highest graded so far. I'm sure somebody has raw high grade copies of issues >#50. Not every collector or dealer has their books graded for one reason or another. I guess we'll see some in the next 5-10 yrs possibly confused-smiley-013.gif

BTW, I had my #100 graded a couple of months ago(came back a 7.0 unrestored) and noticed that there are not many graded higher(8).

What about the # 41?I wish I had bid on that one.That would have been worth $328 plus an additional $50 to have the staples cleaned if they hadn't been already.That's a tough book in grade.What a steal.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

You do realize print runs on superhero books in the 1950's were lower than the '40's? It's not that surprising to me that 7.0s and 8.0s are the highest graded so far. I'm sure somebody has raw high grade copies of issues >#50. Not every collector or dealer has their books graded for one reason or another. I guess we'll see some in the next 5-10 yrs possibly confused-smiley-013.gif

BTW, I had my #100 graded a couple of months ago(came back a 7.0 unrestored) and noticed that there are not many graded higher(8).

any copies like that are bonus copies in my mind. Im asking about "known" Pedigree runs which have not been graded yet, but ate out there... Just seeking info, not speculating on how many others there may or not be.... see what I mean? : )

Allentown was such a small collection that I wouldn't look to that as a significant source of potential higher grades. Based on a list that I've seen, there weren't that many issues, and only a few were noted to be NM or better.

Church is a different matter, and I think we can all guess where most of the early part of the run is.

Allentown was such a small collection that I wouldn't look to that as a significant source of potential higher grades. Based on a list that I've seen, there weren't that many issues, and only a few were noted to be NM or better.

Church is a different matter, and I think we can all guess where most of the early part of the run is.

Number of runs of Batman 1 - 50 in a pedigree of high quality. 1.

I took down some prices from the last time many of these Batmans went at auction, when many didnt meet reserves-- and were now in this auction. Guess what? Prices were much lower on 90% of them. A few 9.4s hit higher prices, but that was it. Looks like the high bids that didnt meet the over-optimistic reserves last time were as good as it was gonna get on these books...

Discuss...

Nice thing about being lazy and participating on a board: someone will do the work for you. thumbsup2.gif

You really think it's that low? This is one of the most popular GA titles of all, certainly the easiest to find back issues of today, and only Edgar of the major OOs accumulated a complete HG run? What happened to Tom Reilly, Lamont Larson, or the good folks in Denver, Chicago, Pennsylvania, etc.? There are no significant runs of Batman in those collections?

You really think it's that low? This is one of the most popular GA titles of all, certainly the easiest to find back issues of today, and only Edgar of the major OOs accumulated a complete HG run? What happened to Tom Reilly, Lamont Larson, or the good folks in Denver, Chicago, Pennsylvania, etc.? There are no significant runs of Batman in those collections?

None of those pedigrees, save possibly the Penn encompass that time period. It's not a hard question to answer, if you add the "high-quality" qualifier, and the Penn's don't have the consistency of some of the other pedigrees. That said, if you look at the census and past sales on Heritage, Comiclink, dealers, etc. you'll find that there are quite a few high grade pedigree and non-pedigree copies of Batman, just that they won't all be from the same collection. You'll also notice a suspicious lack of uber-high grade copies as you look at the issues between 70 - 120 (or so).

None of those pedigrees, save possibly the Penn encompass that time period. It's not a hard question to answer, if you add the "high-quality" qualifier, and the Penn's don't have the consistency of some of the other pedigrees. That said, if you look at the census and past sales on Heritage, Comiclink, dealers, etc. you'll find that there are quite a few high grade pedigree and non-pedigree copies of Batman, just that they won't all be from the same collection. You'll also notice a suspicious lack of uber-high grade copies as you look at the issues between 70 - 120 (or so).

Reilly was Batman 1-28 in VF/NM or better per Beerbohm.

I know of the Church Run. And there are Penns of generally high quality I ve seen.. Dont know the extent of the others Pedigrees, but I do recall the Twilights were very strong in Batman and Detective. There have been a lot of 9.2s and 9.4 Ive seen graded.

As for 70 thru 120 being tough, wouldnt that be in the Bethlehem and White Mountain province?? Where and what grades are they?

Larson stopped collecting in late '41. Tom Reilly's parents stopped buying his books when he passed away in '45. Batman 1-50 runs from 1940 to the tail end of '48.

I know of the Church Run. And there are Penns of generally high quality I ve seen.. Dont know the extent of the others Pedigrees, but I do recall the Twilights were very strong in Batman and Detective. There have been a lot of 9.2s and 9.4 Ive seen graded.

As for 70 thru 120 being tough, wouldnt that be in the Bethlehem and White Mountain province?? Where and what grades are they?

There are some very nice Penns. There are some very average Penns. Not sure whether they include the entire data range encompassed by 1 - 50. RE: Twilights may be structurally nice but I'm not impressed by what I've seen so far, nor have I heard reports of white pages/high-color reflectivity cover inks.

WM has very superheros from the 50s. It's a real eclectic mix of titles during that time period, with a lot of Sci Fi and horror. At least as far as what has been publicly offered.

Bethlehem should be complete 70 - 120, but quality will most likely be very inconsistent. Most, imho, will probably not be pedigree quality.

that was always the knock on Twilights. Many guys thought they were a little too 'dark'...but they sure look nice, and have ben grading out well. If the Bethlehems are as consistently nice as the other runs Ive seen, they should be in the 7.5 to 9.0 range. Not too shabby for this period... But I dont think we

l know the final tally for Bats bewteen 70 and 120 lets say for quite a while... still not much incentive to get them slabbed as yet. Just always seems funy to get excited about HGC when its a 7.0....

Bethlehems can be very tired looking comics from that time period, with tanned edges and cream pages. Many will be nice, but many of them won't be. I have pretty good understanding on the condition of a thousand+ Bethlehems from a variety of publishers, including many runs, and not just the "leftovers".