• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ewert Customer Contact Task for Litigation/Re-Certification Options… Volunteers?

217 posts in this topic

Well, I just spoke to Mr. Patel, and they haven't looked at my books I sent them that I had purchased from Ewert, but that's okay, as I noted in my invoices I wouldn't be back in town for another couple of weeks, so I really wasn't surprised when they hadn't. I did find out one other thing, though. Even though Mr. Patel's "sticky" message notes:

"As we stated in Sept of last year, CGC will review any CGC-certified book purchased from Jason Ewert (eBay id: ejanter) between September 2004 and September 2005. Other than shipping, there will be no charge for this review."

Per Mr. Patel, this isn't true, or at least the definition of the word "review" needs to be more clearly defined. They will only crack the slab and re-examine books SUBMITTED by Ewert from Sept. 04 to Sept. 05. So, you could very well have purchased a book from Ewert in, let's say, Nov. 04, but if he submitted it in July 04, they will NOT crack the slab and re-examine it. I wish I had known that before I sent my books in - I could have emailed them my bar code #s or done it over the phone, and not have had to send in as many books as I did. And pay for shipping to/from them.

Yet again, another phone call to CGC, and another change of story. Maybe if anyone gets laid off from or quits working at CGC, they can go to work at the IRS answering phones...

Ha! Keep clinging to the time frame CGC...One of my first CGC submissions was a Spidey #8 purchased from Ewert at Chicago Wizard 98...It was also my first, and only PLOD. Trimmed, apparent 9.2. Don't worry...just an isolated incident I'm sure.

893whatthe.gif

893whatthe.gif

and

893whatthe.gif

again!

Oh, man. Worms. Can. Open.

Better shut up now, though, or we'll all get shot down for the 'negativity'.... sorry.gif

Since the JIM debacle it's clear CGC can't detect the trimming with any accuracy...and if Ewert was trimming this far past, all Ewert slabs are suspect...

Would help if CGC released how they came up with the year timeframe in the first place but in the lack of disclosure on CGC's end...these urban myths will further erode their credibility...

Jim

Better shut up now, though, or we'll all get shot down for the 'negativity'.... sorry.gif

It's not negativity if you're calling the shots as you see them.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Negativity in this case is an opinion...whether you're on the end of the criticism or not...

Jim

It's not negativity if you're calling the shots as you see them.... confused-smiley-013.gif

Negativity in this case is an opinion...whether you're on the end of the criticism or not...

Jim

I disagree. 'Negativity' is anything that isn't happy-clappy, pro-BSDs, pro-CGC, pro-excellent health of the hobby, pro-genial discussion, pro-PCS, pro-new labels, pro-pressing isn't restoration, pro-secrecy, pro-Heritage, pro-'full potential'....

Steve B has requested that we all get back on message with these issues, eschewing heated debate in favour of trust, love and harmony.

Remember....'certification works!' 893naughty-thumb.gif

Since the JIM debacle it's clear CGC can't detect the trimming with any accuracy...and if Ewert was trimming this far past, all Ewert slabs are suspect...

Well, it's apparent from my conversation with Mr. Patel on Friday afternoon, 2/17/06, CGC has no intention of opening slabs and inspecting any Ewert books graded prior to Sept 04, even if the books are sitting on a VP's desk in the CGC offices, as they are RIGHT NOW.

Negativity? Attitudes are negative. Facts are facts.

Peace.

Negativity? Attitudes are negative. Facts are facts.

Peace.

I think maybe I needed a sarcasm graemlin in my post... tongue.gif

No, I got it. Just adding my two cents worth. Or is it up to ten cents now? Or would anyone pay anything for my opnion?

Anyway.

Peace.

It seems like a lot of people are of the opinion that they should go back further than Sept 04 to look at Ewert books. I certainly am, given what I've read about the issue. Has anyone made it clear to them that's our opinion? Is there a specific reason why they won't, other than the time, effort and cost of doing so?

Is there a specific reason why they won't, other than the time, effort and cost of doing so?

There's that and, if you like to speculate a bit, there's also the 'negative effect' the revelation would have on the industry (every book becomes suspect) and CGC (they've been unable to spot trimming since day one).

But I'm sure there's no effort here to minimise and diminish.... yeahok.gif

yeahok.gif

There's your sarcasm graemlin!

Yeah, I tend to pretty much agree with everything you said. I'm curious if they'll open and re-certify the Tales to Astonish #99 in 9.8 I sent them, if indeed it was slabbed before Sept 04 (I don't know if it was or wasn't yet). If you were them, wouldn't you open that one up, even if it was pre-Sept 04, if you had it in your hands??

Anyway, we'll see...

Question?

As to books sent in for recert, if the book is sent in and found to be trimmed or whatever will the infu be on the label that was an Ewert & Co. Co book in addition to the purple label?

If the book is recerted and found to be ok will there be a public area where serial numbers can be verified down the road that although the book was an Ewert & Co. book the book was "officially" recerted and not just washed through normal crack out and resubmit activities?

Since the total number of Ewert & Co. books seems to still be in flux will the legal action be able to provide a complete list of all Ewert & Co. books whether the book is blue or purple label?

Is there any thought of an infamous pedigree website where submitters could post pics and serial numbers of any and all Ewert & Co. books?

One that could provide all revelant data in one place,.

Just some thoughts as I have spent the past week reading through the dozens of pages on this subject.

I have others but have not fully formed those thoughts yet.

Also I would also add my thanks to all the hard work put into this project thus far by the folks here and elsewhere.

p.s. How do I add pictures and quotes to my posts and signature?

Question?

As to books sent in for recert, if the book is sent in and found to be trimmed or whatever will the infu be on the label that was an Ewert & Co. Co book in addition to the purple label?

If the book is recerted and found to be ok will there be a public area where serial numbers can be verified down the road that although the book was an Ewert & Co. book the book was "officially" recerted and not just washed through normal crack out and resubmit activities?

Since the total number of Ewert & Co. books seems to still be in flux will the legal action be able to provide a complete list of all Ewert & Co. books whether the book is blue or purple label?

Is there any thought of an infamous pedigree website where submitters could post pics and serial numbers of any and all Ewert & Co. books?

One that could provide all revelant data in one place,.

Just some thoughts as I have spent the past week reading through the dozens of pages on this subject.

I have others but have not fully formed those thoughts yet.

Also I would also add my thanks to all the hard work put into this project thus far by the folks here and elsewhere.

p.s. How do I add pictures and quotes to my posts and signature?

That's "Questions", not "Question." But anyway,

1. I don't know about what they're doing with any new trimmed books they find. I think someone here would know. But I don't. If any of mine currently in are found to be trimmed, I'll definitely know then, and post.

2. I think there is a thread somewhere where that's going on, but it may have been pushed back. It's on the same database of suspected Ewert books that, unfortunately, ALL have ebay auction #s, though I can tell you for a fact he's sold books without using ebay. So that database is worth only so much.

3. I would think CGC would have to know - don't they keep things called "records"? Couldn't they just pull out the records of all his submissions and create a database from that? Obviously not, as the current database is from ebay, not CGC. I don't think it is legal action against Ewert to fix that problem. It's CGC unwillingness to come clean on the stiuation that has caused this problem.

4. It's funny, I joked (or tried to joke) with Mr. Patel about having the books come back with the label noting it came from the collection of Ewert, like the Cage and Mannarino notes. He laughed, and said that definitely wasn't going to happen. But some other website or other to keep up with this - unlikely. Yeah, it would be nice to summarize all this somewhere - more than one person has suggested making these Ewert threads "sticky" so they stay at the top of p1 of the message board, but that ain't gonna happen. I had to go searching back to p4 or p5 just to re-post to this thread. CGC has no interest in keeping all this info in one place. They're doing what they "have" to do, and no more.

Sad. frown.gif

I sent in 5 books I had bought from Jason to check for trimming. On second look, CGC found that two of the five were trimmed. CGC kept those two trimmed books and returned the others. I don't know what they're doing with the trimmed books.

I sent in 5 books I had bought from Jason to check for trimming. On second look, CGC found that two of the five were trimmed. CGC kept those two trimmed books and returned the others. I don't know what they're doing with the trimmed books.

When I see posts about CGC "kept" or "got back" comics I always think... Huh?!? confused.gif Just curious how that works for a service provider. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Sir, I inspected your car last year didn't I?"

"Yeah, you did."

"Well, I didn't notice those bad wiper blades. It's very embarrassing, makes me look sloppy. You know how word gets around."

"Um, okay."

"Sir, your car is staying here. I'm keeping it."

27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

What time frame were the books purchased and what kind of books were they (Silver, Bronze) ?

What time frame were the books purchased and what kind of books were they (Silver, Bronze) ?

Defenders #10, cert #0709124002, purchased July 2005, graded 4/29/05

Daredevil #152, cert #0703013007, purchased July 2005, graded 5/5/05

Yes, that's a Daredevil #152.

Defenders #10, cert #0709124002, purchased July 2005, graded 4/29/05

Daredevil #152, cert #0703013007, purchased July 2005, graded 5/5/05

Yes, that's a Daredevil #152.

Well, this pretty much confirms my suspicions that no books that passed through his hands were safe. This problem obviously is not just limited to expensive high grade Silver Age... hence the problem may be a lot bigger than anticipated.