• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ewert Customer Contact Task for Litigation/Re-Certification Options… Volunteers?

217 posts in this topic

Well, I've got several of the books. I was just notified of the issue recently via email through the ebay system. I do have a concern. I purchased some books from Jason "off ebay" - they were not sold (reserve too high, etc.), and I purchased them from him directly. Well, since "the list" that I have found on the boards is 100% completed ebay auctions, these books are not on "the list", even though the label #s are right in with other label #s, and I did purchase them from Jason. I just spoke with someone at CGC who told me if the books are not on "the list" (even if you bought them from Jason), and if you send them in and they are inspected and not trimmed, they WILL BE charging the $11 re-holder fee. The person I spoke with told me "the list" was compiled from several sources, though the only list I find on these boards is 100% completed ebay auctions. Am I not finding the right "official list"??

Does anyone agree with this policy?? Am I in the wrong to think that they should re-examine ALL Ewert books for free, whether or not they were sold via a completed ebay auction sale??

I've got 10 books in that situation. If I send them in and they are not trimmed, that's $110.00, plus tax (I live in FL), plus S/H/I etc.

I agree, that is ridiculous. It should be easy for CGC to check your serial numbers to confirm that your slabs contain JE-submitted books...I can't understand why you would be charged extra for any reason. If that is CGC's official policy on this and not just a misunderstanding on the part of whoever you talked to, it makes no sense at all.

I agree, that is ridiculous. It should be easy for CGC to check your serial numbers to confirm that your slabs contain JE-submitted books...I can't understand why you would be charged extra for any reason. If that is CGC's official policy on this and not just a misunderstanding on the part of whoever you talked to, it makes no sense at all.

I agree. And it's going to turn this whole thing into one big cluster[@#$!%].

I have completed my assigned contacts with the exception of "weweir." This username does not exist on ebay.

yeahok.giflink

The good news it is me. I forget what I bought from him in that timeframe though. Nothing big I am sure.

Well, I have both a PM and a v-mail into Harshen Patel, VP of Operations and the guy in charge of this issue, and I expect to hear from him tomorrow. I will let you know what he says. I'm hoping it is a misunderstanding on the employee's part - I'm sure of what I heard, because I asked right back if my understanding was true, and he confirmed that it was, but then put me on hold and tried to get me in touch with Mr. Patel. At that point he wasn't available, and I left him a vmail. I also left him a PM thru these boards. I will follow up and let you know what he says. Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding on the part of who I spoke with.

Hello Everybody,

I've started my list tonight. Way too much going on over the weekend to really get after it. Did everybody have to enter in that security code that keeps displaying after you enter in the text and click send?

Bruce,

id "nrasmus" come up 13 close matches but no exact match found. confused-smiley-013.gif

If there is a better way to do this I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Michael

Could that be 'rasmus2'? If so...I'm pretty sure that's Rich_Henn on these boards.

I think your copy is just fine Dav. As long as they know to call CGC or ask questions in the thread specifically created for them, that should suffice thumbsup2.gif

Bruce...I received one very friendly thank-you response that asked about "what steps to take next". So it may be a good idea to post an up-front, very clear, step-by-step action plan for those who go to the link we emailed.

Here is the reply I sent him, so check it. I made it up, it's probably how I would proceed. If you have something specific we should send please post it.

"Hi. I appreciate your remarks. Thank you very much. My opinion on what to do next is:

a) contact CGC directly with all your purchase info and request the free re-certification. Their number is on the back of the CGC label.

b) relax a bit until the re-certification is done. Odds are your book is fine. To my knowlege four books have been confirmed trimmed to date.

c) if CGC does declare it trimmed go to the link I sent previously. There are three attorneys listed who request your purchase info for possible litigation against Ewert. Pick one and email them for advice. All three email addresses are posted.

That's my suggestion. That link I sent will take you to the CGC boards where you can learn more and make informed choices.

If you have any other questions please ask. It's no problem.

Thanks again and good luck,"

I'll try and call to get more information.

I'm not sure if they are referring to my "9 months of Ewert Data" or Sterlings list that contains many other located books off the invoices via a serial check.

Either way, if the "time period of concern" has been extended to a year or more due to the JIM 92… I'll have to post a longer list "IF" CGC is denying to recertify books (for free) between 9 - 12+ months simply because they are not on what seems to be a incomplete list now. We'll sort it out, I'm sure its a misunderstanding,

Well, I have both a PM and a v-mail into Harshen Patel, VP of Operations and the guy in charge of this issue, and I expect to hear from him tomorrow. I will let you know what he says. I'm hoping it is a misunderstanding on the employee's part - I'm sure of what I heard, because I asked right back if my understanding was true, and he confirmed that it was, but then put me on hold and tried to get me in touch with Mr. Patel. At that point he wasn't available, and I left him a vmail. I also left him a PM thru these boards. I will follow up and let you know what he says. Hopefully it was just a misunderstanding on the part of who I spoke with.

I'll try and call to get more information.

I'm not sure if they are referring to my "9 months of Ewert Data" or Sterlings list that contains many other located books off the invoices via a serial check.

Either way, if the "time period of concern" has been extended to a year or more due to the JIM 92… I'll have to post a longer list "IF" CGC is denying to recertify books (for free) between 9 - 12+ months simply because they are not on what seems to be a incomplete list now. We'll sort it out, I'm sure its a misunderstanding,

I was going by a "9 Months of Ewert Data" list, but that list appears to have been only from ebay as a main source, as all items listed have ebay auction #s. Additionally, the list "fizzles out" from Green Lantern thru House of Secrets on having CGC Serial numbers - I have what I'm sure is the House of Mystery #200 from that list. As noted, I have purchased 10 books from Jason that didn't go through a completed ebay auction, which is why I'm having this issue. If there's another list, please give me a link and I will check my books against that. Thanks for the reply.

Bruce; i have been "closed" out of the internet every time i try to send any kind of message through the ebay contact process. i've been trying just to send a simple contact note to our captains_of_industry (as he's on my list) and i get as far as the new security screen which requires you to insert the 6 digit "masked" code before proceeding.

i never even get to punch in the first digit before i'm told there is a problem and the internet connection has to shut down.

anyone know what that's all about?? : thumbsup2.gifif i can't get it resolved, you may have to reassign my group......... sorry.gif

Harry.....I'll do them for you even though you called me a shiite. wink.gif

Mush; thanks so much...........i get knocked off the net when i go to certain sites and try to perform searches, etc. but it was 100% on the ebay contact a member site.............so now i'll take back what i said and you can sell my books with my blessings................................

Let me give you an example of my concern with the charge for re-slabbing issue. The following three books are from the "9 Months of Ewert Data" list that I can find on the CGC chat board:

02-Jun-05 … 6535593688 … Captain America … 200 … 9.8 … … … $213.50 … 008055006

29-Mar-05 … 6520901087 … Captain America … 200 … 9.8 … … … $102.50 … 0080550005

06-Jul-05 … 6543156422 … Captain America … 200 … 9.6 … … … $26.00 … 0080550011

This is the book I bought directly from Jason Ewert, but not on the official "list":

04-Dec-12 ... NO EBAY ##... Captain America ... 200... 9.8... ... ... $107.00... 0080550013

(The date and $$ amount are from my personal records)

Look at the CGC serial numbers - mine is right there with the other CA #200s on "the list". And I bought mine from Jason. But if I send mine in for re-holdering and it's not trimmed, they will charge me $11. Does this seem fair?

Does anyone out there want me to NOT send this book in because of the $11 fee, then put it on ebay in a year or two? Or comiclink? Or anywhere?

Look at the CGC serial numbers - mine is right there with the other CA #200s on "the list". And I bought mine from Jason. But if I send mine in for re-holdering and it's not trimmed, they will charge me $11. Does this seem fair?

Does anyone out there want me to NOT send this book in because of the $11 fee, then put it on ebay in a year or two? Or comiclink? Or anywhere?

No charge for an Ewert Review. Just shipping.

"As we stated in Sept of last year, CGC will review any CGC-certified book purchased from Jason Ewert (eBay id: ejanter) between September 2004 and September 2005. Other than shipping, there will be no charge for this review.

Please contact CGC Customer Service for submission instructions at submissions@cgccomics.com or 1-877-NM.COMICS.

Harshen Patel

V.P. of Operations"

No charge for an Ewert Review. Just shipping.

"As we stated in Sept of last year, CGC will review any CGC-certified book purchased from Jason Ewert (eBay id: ejanter) between September 2004 and September 2005. Other than shipping, there will be no charge for this review.

Please contact CGC Customer Service for submission instructions at submissions@cgccomics.com or 1-877-NM.COMICS.

Harshen Patel

V.P. of Operations"

That solves that - thanks for the reply. I'll ship them in today. Thanks again.

I just spoke with Mr. Patel, VP of Operations, at CGC. They will examine and re-holder and assign new CGC label #s to all books, at no charge. They do charge for return shipping. So, I'm going to be out both the cost to ship to them, and return shipping they will charge me. I'm not happy about having to pay for this, but I'm not going to complain too much, as I do want these books re-examined and handled properly. The time, trouble, aggravation and cost of having to do this is not making me a happy-camper. Plus, I have a couple of silver-age 9.8s in with them, which could cause another entire set of problems - I'm really hoping my fears are not realized on those two...

I understand your pain... but let's keep in mind that Jason Ewert is responsible for the costs we will incur re-certifing his suspect books. He willingly defrauded an undetermined amount of people. CGC is doing their part to rectify their shortcomings in the matter and unfortunately we have to bear the costs of the shipping.

The way I see it, having been scammed out of $2500+ on Ebay 4 years ago… it could be far worse. At least their will be reimbursement if anything is wrong and action is being taken to investigate the potential of other tainted books to protect collectors going forward. As many know, that is far from the case in many, many instances where the innocent buyer is defrauded and loses everything.

Just out of curiosity, is anyone going after this guy legally? Given his intent, and the use of interstate mails, it seems that mail fraud and other charges could be brought against him. CGC being "in the middle" does tend to add a wrinkle to the situation. Or is CGC handling this between Ewert and his part-time partner out of the courts?

While he's not listing items on ebay now, he currently has an active ebay account and could sell items tomorrow if he desired. Has ebay been informed of this situation? He's still a power seller, and one of the criteria for this is: Uphold the eBay community values, including honesty, timeliness and mutual respect. I'd say this criteria has been thrown in the toilet.

Anyway, as long as I get my books back from CGC and it's handled properly, there's only so much for me to do.

bumpit.gif

Finally finished my contact list this morning (thanks to ebay's one-message-a-day diet, it took quite a while to get through). The lone reply I got was from a guy who said he was angrier with CGC for missing the trimming then with the trimming perpetrator.... confused-smiley-013.gif Anyway, here's hoping we are spreading the word about Ewert and doing a little bit of good. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Thanks again to all that helped.

Here's the latest effort to inform others that are likely oblivious via the GPA Newsletter.

For those of you not receiving the GPA Newsletter, I suggest you sign up.

Not only will you find information and commentary (example: see below link) on subjects no one else (can or will touch) in the US for political and/or legal reasons, but there are some interesting articles contained within also.

Ewert Update: Join the Litigation vs. Jason Ewert. Easy to use "Click to Download" form to fill out and forward to either of the 3 lawyers