• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Golden Age Prices – What’s The Future?

76 posts in this topic

"I recently saw a dealer who had a Superman #14, with the top half of the front cover ripped off, and was asking $300.00"

I sold a superman 11 in Fair, maybe Fair/Good (book was complete with some chips, but lots of extra staples and some tape on the spine, page quality not so great) for $100 on ebay within the last 12 months. I have a bunch of CGC'd 1940s Batmans and Detectives up, which I've sold a few of, but the action is slow at or a little over guide. They're there for the buying. Dealers may ask for sky high prices, but there's no reason to pay them. (Yeah, I know, Supes 14 is more in demand, but you get the idea...)

If you have $1K a month to spend on GA material, you can pick yourself up a couple of interesting mid-grade books, in slabs. The uber-key and/or rare early issues are sky high, sure, but there's a lot of stuff out there for $100 - $500 selling at guide, or a little less (or a lot less sometimes).

As for "who can afford this stuff"... well, if you work in the right areas of finance, $250K is a bottom rung salary. There are kids in their late 20's pushing seven figures. They can retire in their mid-30s. Sure, we're not talking vast numbers of people, and few are likely to be collectors, but you'd be surprised at how many people are pulling in this much. There's got to be someone out there buying all these 1200 square foot apartments in Manhattan for over $1 million, and similar digs in Miami, San Fran, L.A., etc. Unfortunately, I ain't one of them!

in perusing completed GA CGC auctions from the last month, seems like you can get a plenty of nice slabbed material at affordable prices if you're not out there chasing detective 29 and what not. i counted a ton of mid-grade slabbed 1940s super hero books for $50-$250. i guess it all depends on what you're looking for.

does anyone have a scan of any other Nova Scotia book for comparison ??

Here is one:

1090023-MoreFun57%28NS%29%282%29.jpg

I love these early Spectre More Fun covers (yea, I know, what a shock!). Here is the Church copy of this book. I paid $21,000 I believe. I can tell you that these books are certainly not losing their value.

MoreFun57MH.jpg

tongue.gif With the Nova Scotia copy taken, I guess that was the best you could do.

gossip.gif WOW!

hmmm, not much attention paid to background details like windows on that cover. you sure sal buscema didn't do that cover circa 1995 or so? not many windows for $21K. :-)

Artistic licence.... 27_laughing.gif

And what's up with the Spectre's left foot?

hmmm, not much attention paid to background details like windows on that cover. you sure sal buscema didn't do that cover circa 1995 or so? not many windows for $21K. :-)

He forgot he wasn't solid and his toes got lodged in the sidewalk...

Looks like he stepped in a bottle.

Come on now guys, let's not make fun of Mr. Spectre, he has a club foot.

Not to mention a case of webbed fingers, notice that 2nd and 3rd finger on each hand are together.

Anyone else notice that with his cape around his head he looks like little green riding hood??? insane.gif

Page quality is the overall most important factor for me when choosing a book and when I have a choice. I read my books and I want my books to last. I'd rather have a vg with white pages than a f/vf with tan pages. I don't buy my books with the intention of a quick flip or for the purpose of slabbing.

Most of my GA is COWP, which is fine with me. Do have this one, however

flash483ew.jpg