• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

I know I'm probably repeating myself like many others are because I guess I'm still in shock so maybe this is therapy for me. I didn't know Doug as a lawyer, only as a comic dealer and I have had nothing but good things to say about him. I don't condone what has occurred but I also have no desire in participating in bashing a man when he is down, Doug will have to deal with this stigma for years to comes. I just want to wish him the best and hope he can one day put this behind him. frown.gif

The irony is that the more people try to minimize what he did or trivialize it by comparing it to stealing an apple from a grocery store, the worse it's going to get for Doug. Just watch. His staunchest allies are unwittingly cutting his throat.

As I said before, I think Doug is a nice guy, and as reprehensible as I find his professional conduct as described in that disciplinary opinion, I'd like to see him work hard to try to redeem himself -- not just in the hobby, but overall because whatever drove him to this goes far beyond comics in my uneducated opinion. But the more I read these BS defenses of his behavior, the madder I get. I just hope that when/if Doug comes to give his side, I don't have to read some mealy-mouthed garbage about accounting errors, innocent misunderstandings, or stealing frigging apples from grocery stores.

We actually agree here completely.

One person compared it to stealing apples. Another person compared it to murder. Uh, maybe it's somewhere in the middle? makepoint.gif

I know I'm probably repeating myself like many others are because I guess I'm still in shock so maybe this is therapy for me. I didn't know Doug as a lawyer, only as a comic dealer and I have had nothing but good things to say about him. I don't condone what has occurred but I also have no desire in participating in bashing a man when he is down, Doug will have to deal with this stigma for years to comes. I just want to wish him the best and hope he can one day put this behind him. frown.gif

The irony is that the more people try to minimize what he did or trivialize it by comparing it to stealing an apple from a grocery store, the worse it's going to get for Doug. Just watch. His staunchest allies are unwittingly cutting his throat.

As I said before, I think Doug is a nice guy, and as reprehensible as I find his professional conduct as described in that disciplinary opinion, I'd like to see him work hard to try to redeem himself -- not just in the hobby, but overall because whatever drove him to this goes far beyond comics in my uneducated opinion. But the more I read these BS defenses of his behavior, the madder I get. I just hope that when/if Doug comes to give his side, I don't have to read some mealy-mouthed garbage about accounting errors, innocent misunderstandings, or stealing frigging apples from grocery stores.

Give me a list of the posters who are defending his behavior. You're the one slinging the BS. Again, no one is minimizing what he did. I think there are far more people painting him as the second coming of Charles Manson. Did he insult the fraternity of lawyers? For sure. Are you ethically outraged? For sure.

I'm personally disgusted that Doug is going on trial here for a second time. Of course all the people that were affected by his actions deserve our sympathy. I am comfortable in believing that the court made sure Doug paid the price for his actions, and that things were set as right as were possible with his former clients. I believe in the system and I think after a few days of spinning on a top over this, and Doug's personal reputation is thoroughly trashed we should think about the appropriateness of running him up a flag on a comic book chat board.

He's out of the lawyer club. He did the crime, he's doing the time. I'm satisfied with that, and I'll stand by my friend. And the next time we're sharing a beer, I'll grill his azz. Privately.

Brad

You steal my apple and I'll steal your life-savings.

since we are both equally wrong,we'll call it even.I'll even repay your money over time,and you can keep the apple. So you'll come out ahead in the end.

Whats next? Are we going to hear that Doug did the woman a favor by not giving her HER money when it was due?

That the kids didn't really need that chid support?

Someone retouches a cover and people go ballistic,but is okay to steal from woman and children as long as you give good customer service. Is that about the size of it?

In case no one's noticed, Duchak has given full refunds as well, yet that hasn't helped his cause.

Its baffling the actions some choose to defend.

hail.gif

You guys are dolts sometimes. Where did anyone defend those actions? Or say they were proper? You're twisting things. How people can see things in only black or white amazes me.

The way some people are defending him, makes it sound like "poor Doug" as if he is the victim in all of this. That kind of irritated me. I've had no intention of comming on here and Doug bashing or bashing anyone who is his friend or even that still wants to do business with him.

I'm not trying to argue with your feelings on the matter, but where is the gray area here?

My position is only against the few posters who candidly describe his actions as he only "borrowed" the money. I don't think Doug is in the same league as a murderer, nor is he as innocent as an apple thief, but he is a grown man with culpablility in his actions and they should be seen for what they are or were.

I just feel like FFB said, that the more I hear people defend him like this:

Two professions, two different time periods. You cannot mix the two, unless you have reason to. Did he steal from an old lady? More like gave her grief. She was repaid.

Once again, making it sound like "what's the big deal? He only borrowed the money and she got paid back". I've previously stated how I feel about that, so I won't restate here again.

It just draws me out to say something, and with Doug being the object of the discussion, he's the one who gets kicked back and forth.

Pedigree had become my #1 source for comics and even as recent as two days ago, I was pumping them to others in threads on these boards. I've always had good dealings with Doug there and I find that this whole scandel really sucks to put it bluntly. I wish it weren't true. I'm going to need some time to sort through more of my feelings about if I'd ever consider doing business with him again.

Sorry for the rant, but it's how I'm feeling right now.

In case no one's noticed, Duchak has given full refunds as well, yet that hasn't helped his cause.

The big difference is that Dupcak continues to rip people off. Big difference. But I'm sure that distinction escaped you. Or you chose to ignore it. There is no evidence, zero, that Doug is messing around with his comic book clients.

Doug had become my #1 source for comics and even as recent as two days ago, I was pumping them to others in threads on these boards. I've always had good dealings with Doug there and I find that this whole scandel really sucks to put it bluntly. I wish it weren't true. I'm going to need some time to sort through more of my feelings about if I'd ever consider doing business with him again.

Sorry for the rant, but it's how I'm feeling right now.

No need to apologize.

Your gripe is with that particular poster. I'm not making that kind of argument. I'm not saying Doug is a victim. Most of the posters supporting him are not saying that.

Who said "what's the big deal?" Not me. It's far from insignificant. I'm just telling you that after weighing everything....adding everything up.....I will continue to do comic book business with Doug.

He's gone further than most dealers have in his willingness to discuss it openly with people who inquire. He's discussed his proclivity to press books right here on the boards, in public. He doesn't advertise that with his listings.....yet. He's done more than most dealers I know.

Red,

How do you feel about him helping one of his clients avoid paying child support?

Was he representing the client ot not?

Actually he would be required to help one of his clients avoid paying child support.

Since when are lawyers required to aid clients in breaking the law?

screwy.gif

I'm just telling you that after weighing everything....adding everything up.....I will continue to do comic book business with Doug.

So, if Wal-Mart were found to be using child labor for their t-shirts, but carried auto parts made by well-compensated adults (auto parts that were being subsidized - perhaps - by the sale of t-shirts), you'd have no problem with buying their auto parts?

I think this is where people are just going to differ on how they react to this.

As I said in the poll thread, I simply can't afford to partake of anything on the PedigreeComics.com site. So, this really is a moot point for me.

It doesn't stop me from chiming in, however... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

You steal my apple and I'll steal your life-savings.

since we are both equally wrong,we'll call it even.I'll even repay your money over time,and you can keep the apple. So you'll come out ahead in the end.

Whats next? Are we going to hear that Doug did the woman a favor by not giving her HER money when it was due?

That the kids didn't really need that chid support?

Someone retouches a cover and people go ballistic,but is okay to steal from woman and children as long as you give good customer service. Is that about the size of it?

hail.gif

You guys are dolts sometimes. Where did anyone defend those actions? Or say they were proper? You're twisting things. How people can see things in only black or white amazes me.

817130001o.jpg

flowerred.gif

You never answered my question from yesterday. You mentioned that Doug acted respectful towards your daughter, and it seemed to impress you. How do you feel about Doug helping a client avoid paying child support?

I'd be interested in hearing more of the details. In the document, it's listed as an allegation, with no details. I would consider it wrong if it were true.

One other thing I would be curious knowing....from all you lawyers out there....

I have to assume from your positions in this thread that you would never take on a client who had a previous record of wrongdoing.

I mean, from an ethical standpoint, you would only do business with folks who had never done anything wrong in the past, right?

You never answered my question from yesterday. You mentioned that Doug acted respectful towards your daughter, and it seemed to impress you. How do you feel about Doug helping a client avoid paying child support?

I'd be interested in hearing more of the details. In the document, it's listed as an allegation, with no details. I would consider it wrong if it were true.

Red Hook, you're still talking as if the hearing hasn't taken place yet. All 48 charges were initially listed as "alleged", then they were all sustained through the hearing. This means they were ALL found to be true.

CBG used to have a seal of approval system,that was fairly reliable.I think it was based around unresolved customer complaints.They actually banned a long time dealer although I don't remember who it was.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

yeah and fantazia collectibles had a CBG seal approval. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

fantazia.jpg

And now this thread has reached it's logical conclusion. Daniel Dupcak. foreheadslap.gif

Red Hook, you're still talking as if the hearing hasn't taken place yet. All 48 charges were initially listed as "alleged", then they were all sustained through the hearing. This means they were ALL found to be true.

Like I said before.....my misread. It's wrong.

CBG used to have a seal of approval system,that was fairly reliable.I think it was based around unresolved customer complaints.They actually banned a long time dealer although I don't remember who it was.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) thumbsup2.gif

yeah and fantazia collectibles had a CBG seal approval. foreheadslap.gifscrewy.gif

fantazia.jpg

And now this thread has reached it's logical conclusion. Daniel Dupcak. foreheadslap.gif

They sold a dealer they had held onto for 3 years. Isn't that against the law 893whatthe.gif

One other thing I would be curious knowing....from all you lawyers out there....

I have to assume from your positions in this thread that you would never take on a client who had a previous record of wrongdoing.

I mean, from an ethical standpoint, you would only do business with folks who had never done anything wrong in the past, right?

Brad: Interesting concept, I can't wait to read the responses for that question.

I have had some dealings with Doug in the past and found him to be quite passionate about this hobby and the pursuit of high grade marvel comics. I had some very nice conversations with him, mostly Doug doing all the talking, and genuinely found him quite personable.

I read in this thread that Doug was not a very good lawyer. I think there are many of us that would rather be doing something else than our chosen profession and Doug found his in the comicbook marketplace. Unfortunately he chose the wrong resourses to obtain almost cult status in the industry.

I agree with many that I don't like the cleaning, pressing and resubbing game nor the coziness with CGC.

It's not a matter of wether I will buy from Pedigree or not, as I have chosen not to participate in the buying of comics for some time now.

I understand how serious the charges against Doug the Attorney are, the disbarrment is his punishment. Is it a character flaw that will carry over to the business that I think he truly loves, the mistress that he gave up his practice for, only time will tell.

I hope that he will rebound from this lashing on the boards, and prove that he is everything that he appears to be to those that have instilled their confidence in him.

Best, Tom