• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

Im pretty shocked about DOUG. I heard for quite awhile now that he was always running behind payments, building the house, buying comics etc. But this comingling of funds?? Tha's always been the last resort of the shyster loser lawyer who has painted themselves into a corner financially. Seems comics collecting IS just for the rich, or those with (ahem) access to funds!

Seems to have been a pattern that had been pretty extensive from the ruling...22 clients? Was this just Doug or the rest of his NY law firm too?

I think he and his dad were the partners of the firm.

Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe ??

you know him pretty well, right? this is pretty unbelievable, in an inevitable kind of way...

We've done quite a few deals on high grade books, mostly for Journeys when I was collecting them. I've been to his place when he lived in NY. A guy with a pleasant personality who always treated me well. Doesn't excuse this. And at a really tough time for the hobby when we're already dealing with so much 893censored-thumb.gif.

confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

I'm trying to not be duplicitous. I always knew Doug had money problems, but I assumed he had the hobby's best interests at heart since he was such a fanboy. It was fun talking with him about comics and seeing the books that he had acquired over the course of 10+ years.

Most anyone that's done business with Doug will walk away with that warm fuzzy feeling in their stomach, whether the deal was great for them or not. 27_laughing.gif

have you done biz with him over the years?

I'm trying to not be duplicitous. I always knew Doug had money problems, but I assumed he had the hobby's best interests at heart since he was such a fanboy. It was fun talking with him about comics and seeing the books that he had acquired over the course of 10+ years.

Most anyone that's done business with Doug will walk away with that warm fuzzy feeling in their stomach, whether the deal was great for them or not. 27_laughing.gif

I have not done a ton of business with him but I have bought about $5k worth of books over the past year and half. He has never been anything but friendly, professional, and helpful. That held true even when I did not purchase. The charges against him are serious but there is always more to story. None of us know the full story and there are always possible circumstances that lead to events that may force someone into a corner. On what little I could glean from the article, he was not recalcitrant to charges and he does appear sincerely conciliatory to the Disciplinary Committee. It is my hope that some of us reserve judgement and contain predjudice especially since we have not heard from Doug or the rest of the story.

I have not done a ton of business with him but I have bought about $5k worth of books over the past year and half. He has never been anything but friendly, professional, and helpful. That held true even when I did not purchase. The charges against him are serious but there is always more to story. None of us know the full story and there are always possible circumstances that lead to events that may force someone into a corner. On what little I could glean from the article, he was not recalcitrant to charges and he does appear sincerely conciliatory to the Disciplinary Committee. It is my hope that some of us reserve judgement and contain predjudice especially since we have not heard from Doug or the rest of the story.

I concur with this entire post.

Brad

It's hard to contain prejudice because of the disbarment. Ethics are a really important thing to me and more than ever to the industry.

Brad

And I'm not one to jump on the bashing bandwagon because I've generally had good dealings with Doug over the years. Recently, we've had our differences, which I don't plan to air publicly.

I just wish we had more dealers that collectors could trust. The numbers seem to dwindle by the day. mad.gif

Brad

As do I...

I've done a ton of business with Doug in the last 2 years and handle his advertising as well. I consider him a friend. He's always been extremely honest, forthcoming and direct in my experience. I've never discovered that he lied to me or BS'd me (stretched the truth) even a little bit... unlike many others I consider(ed) friends within the hobby. IMHO, he's almost been "too" open about anything you discuss with him. I'm calling him tomorrow.

Right now I feel... confused.gif

Brad

As do I...

I've done a ton of business with Doug in the last 2 years and handle his advertising as well. I consider him a friend. He's always been extremely honest, forthcoming and direct in my experience. I've never discovered that he lied to me or BS'd me (stretched the truth) even a little bit... unlike many others I consider(ed) friends within the hobby. IMHO, he's almost been "too" open about anything you discuss with him. I'm calling him tomorrow.

Bruce I feel the same way as Doug has been probably my favorite dealer to work with by a country mile and a breath of fresh air to the industry. This is sad news. frown.gif

Brad

As do I...

Bruce I feel the same way as Doug has been probably my favorite dealer to work with by a country mile and a breath of fresh air to the industry. This is sad news. frown.gif

I respect all four of your guys' opinions above. I too have done much business with Doug through Pedigree and always found the experience to be a positive one. This is why I asked Mark earlier in the thread about could this have been something that a lawyer may mistakingly done or be some sort of an oversight. I think that's what we would like to believe. Apparently, though, as Mark laid out, this is not done "accidently" and lawyers are taught to never commingle funds with clients.

I believe if there was more to the story, or in other words, some sort of justification for his part, he would not have been disbarred and would have contested the charges. I just don't see what there is left to hold judgement for in this matter. He's already been found liable apparently, thus his disbarment.

The question is: How does his character as a lawyer effect his character as a comics seller? Can we really seperate the two.

It reminds me of an event I had happen to me. My best friend was living with my family and I. It was Christmas and I was sick. Two other "friends" came over to all go out that night, but I never left my room due to being ill. Well, while one of the guys distracted my best friend the other slipped out a jewelry case of my sisters worth about $10,000. When the detectives finally traced it back to the guys through pawn tickets, my best friend continued to be friends with the main culprit. His rationale was that the "friend" had never stolen or done anything to him.

So, I ask all of you, if Doug stole from his clients (which is still stealing even if he pays it back eventually), do you still hold his character in good standing because he has never stolen or done anything bad to you?

These are just some of my thoughts on the matter and dishonesty is abhorrent to me. I would be open to hear anything Doug would have to comment on this, but with 48 sustained charges that were not contested, I'm not sure what he could really say to justify it.

Say it ain't so Doug.. confused.gif

Brad

As do I...

I also echo these comments! After recovering from the shock of reading this and as a former lawyer myself (the retirement was entirely voluntary, BTW!), I can say that my experiences of dealing with Doug have been the easiest and most pleasant in my 30+ years of collecting. I communicate with Doug most days not just about business and collecting but about a variety of things we share a passion for and Doug is someone who I regard as one of my very good friends.

Whatever Doug may have done in his previous life (which of course can never be condoned), he will remain someone who I will continue to consider my very good friend, who I will continue to do business with just the same and who I will continue to regard as being open and honest when it comes to all matters comics!

Please...... no more 'scandals'!