• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Latest Scandal! Comic Book Dealer Disbarred As Lawyer!!!!

1,034 posts in this topic

If it's illegal, then it's wrong. Not illegal, then don't judge.

Actually I'm saying the exact opposite.

You said, "If what someone did is prosecutable, then it was wrong. If it can't be proven in court, then leave the guy alone." How is that the opposite of: "If it's illegal, then it's wrong. Not illegal, than don't judge."???

get help with your reading comprehension. full quote

I've noticed that, and no insult is intended, as many of the discussions on the boards have become more lawyer-centric, the merits of peoples actions are evaluated purely from a legalistic or prosecutable perspective. If what someone did is prosecutable, then it was wrong. If it can't be proven in court, then leave the guy alone.

he's not talking about his own personal philosophy here.

and i resent your bringing politics into it in the first place

This hobby of ours is under attack. There is no oversight. I know of quite a few scandals or despicable actions by major dealers that few know about and it makes me sick b/c it is done without the knowledge of most collectors and it just continues to occur without remorse or hesitation. Unless we, the community, act to say "enough is enough", and raise the bar on the ethical standards we want to see permeate through the hobby, there will be no changes.

Mark, I realize that you probably cannot name names or reveal sources of information, but are you able to tell us what these other scandals and despicable actions are by the undisclosed major dealers? We may not know who the dealer is, but it may help some of us know what to look for or avoid.

Maybe I just mis-interpeted your original post a little, sorry.

All I'm saying is the guy did wrong yes, he didnt physically hurt anyone. We dont know the situation why he did what he did, wether it was for personal gain or family expenses, but most everyone is trying to crucify this guy why? because he was a lawyer so therefore he should know better? or because he has a great inventory.

If this guy scammed or screwed anyone here in the past? Bottom line is, the guy is human, some humans make mistakes and same make serious mistakes, the only perfect humans I have ever seen are in the nursery.

Actually I'm saying the exact opposite. And this has nothing to do with politics.

My mistake, I misread your post. I skimmed it, and thought you were condoning the leagalistic point of view. I also shouldn't have used the term liberal. I feel very strongly about equating legal with moral, and thought that's where you were going. My bad. foreheadslap.gif

Now, if I choose to buy from you Mark (just as an example), would you like it if I put your past actions of years ago under examination?

Depends on which ones of course. Which ones? gossip.gif

Shad has it right. For one thing there is a difference between buying and consigning. Look, as far as I am concerned, trust is everything in doing business as an attorney. And there is no reason why that should be any different in any other business. I treat people in comic world just as I do in the legal world.

I am sitting next to at this very moment a minumum of $60,000 worth of More Fun Comics. A collector loaned them to me to examine and grade to facilitate a deal between us. He has no collateral of mine. And while I did provide him with a legal contract that ensures he is protected from any loss, he hasn't signed it or returned it to me despite the passage of two weeks. Why? Because he trusts me. He knows me from other people. He knows me from prior transactions (he had previously consigned about $10,000 worth of books to me which are also in my possession).

I have a strong feeling that the trust would not be there if the circumstances were such that I had just been disbarred from the practice of law from converting client funds entrusted to me (which would have also been addressed in a legal document called a retainer letter).

Yet, under those circumstances, my actions were totally unrelated to comics. I didn't murder anyone. I have always been friendly with him. Had him over my house. Been to his.

Should the level of trust remain the same? Sure as hell wouldn't for me!!!

As for buying, the pressing and resubbing was enough to significantly deter me from that anyway.

Holy carp, what a thread, ya leave for a few days and come back to see landmines all over the place.

The reactions to what Doug did islike like finding out a good friend did something wrong, not to you directly, but still did something wrong.

So as a friend do you cast him out, or forgive him for his sins?

Sure it is not that simple, but in principle it is exactly what I have read here so far. Those that are not friends with him have an easy decision....he was caught, and guilty, where there is smoke there is fire....nuff said.

Those with close ties to him are forced to wrestle with both moral, and legal issues before they can really decide what or how to deal with the situation.(let alone actually talking with him , and hearing what he has to say.)

This issue is new, and red hot right now. So it is probably not the best time to run with anyones words too far, by tomorrow alot of folks might feel totally differently about this..or not.

Ze-

Earn it Doug. I look forward to seeing what path you choose, and I will stand by you in support if you choose the right path.

Brad, you are clearly Doug's friend, and a good one. I know where you stand on the above. Use your influence where it will acheive the greatest good.

That's my modus operandi. Why do you think I'm still here banging on the drum to try to get CGC to tighten up their game? You'll have more influence by using a little compassion and not making people feel like pariahs.

Hence my post on the subject of disclosure. I'm not going to simply open my arms to Doug and say, awww, it's ok, you did bad, but now you good. I like your comics.

He has to earn it, and this is a perfect way. And it is in perfect sync with your feelings on both topics. thumbsup2.gif

This hobby of ours is under attack. There is no oversight. I know of quite a few scandals or despicable actions by major dealers that few know about and it makes me sick b/c it is done without the knowledge of most collectors and it just continues to occur without remorse or hesitation. Unless we, the community, act to say "enough is enough", and raise the bar on the ethical standards we want to see permeate through the hobby, there will be no changes.

Mark, I realize that you probably cannot name names or reveal sources of information, but are you able to tell us what these other scandals and despicable actions are by the undisclosed major dealers? We may not know who the dealer is, but it may help some of us know what to look for or avoid.

Some of it involved litigation and I didn't agree with the tactics. Others are rumors that I cannot yet prove, but come from people I trust or appear consistent with my own dealings (particularly concerning pressing and resubbing). Quite frankly, the dealers regarding whom I speak are mentioned all the time on the boards so it is not like the concern would be something new in that sense.

As an example (and sorry Russ), there are quite a lot of you who deal with ComicSupply even though a lot of his early business practices were, shall I say, "questionable"? I won't rehash all of that, but in the end there was general acceptance, and Russ has won accolades for his excellent customer service.

I couldn't understand why more people didn't make more of an issue about the early practices, especially when they affected some boardmembers I particularly respected. In the end, you have to give someone a chance. I do believe that people can change their behaviors, once they get the message. I never heard of a boycott of ComicSupply. In the end Russ was the one who rebuilt public confidence in his services.

If you want to, judge Doug as tough as you want over the last year and half since his new business launch. The little old lady who had her funds mingled didn't have a board to beetch about it on, so I would say that if you haven't heard any serious complaints about Doug's business practices on these boards, then you can assume he's doing his best to do it right.

Are you going to boycott FD because he got nailed for some shilling? I wouldn't. FD has provided good service and continues too.

I'm not offering any excuse for Doug's actions as a lawyer. I didn't know him then. I judge him by his actions over the last two years. So far, they are exemplary. He knows how I feel about pressing and he will tell me whenever I ask about a book. I hope to convince him not to continue the practice but I'm not deep-sixing a friendship because of that.

Brad

I think its a good time for Doug to intitute a one time only "Mea Culpa - - All Is Forgiven" Sale of 50% off all Vault books!! I know I would forgive him??? How about all of you? 27_laughing.gif

That might do it. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif

As an example (and sorry Russ), there are quite a lot of you who deal with ComicSupply even though a lot of his early business practices were, shall I say, "questionable"? I won't rehash all of that, but in the end there was general acceptance, and Russ has won accolades for his excellent customer service.

I couldn't understand why more people didn't make more of an issue about the early practices, especially when they affected some boardmembers I particularly respected. In the end, you have to give someone a chance. I do believe that people can change their behaviors, once they get the message. I never heard of a boycott of ComicSupply. In the end Russ was the one who rebuilt public confidence in his services.

If you want to, judge Doug as tough as you want over the last year and half since his new business launch. The little old lady who had her funds mingled didn't have a board to beetch about it on, so I would say that if you haven't heard any serious complaints about Doug's business practices on these boards, then you can assume he's doing his best to do it right.

Are you going to boycott FD because he got nailed for some shilling? I wouldn't. FD has provided good service and continues too.

I'm not offering any excuse for Doug's actions as a lawyer. I didn't know him then. I judge him by his actions over the last two years. So far, they are exemplary. He knows how I feel about pressing and he will tell me whenever I ask about a book. I hope to convince him not to continue the practice but I'm not deep-sixing a friendship because of that.

Brad

Hate the sin and love the sinner. Sounds good. There's still consequences for people's actions.

Just so I understand this correctly:

Was Doug buying "the best copies in existence" with money from client accounts? I mean....was he already starting to put together one of the best collections in the world during the time of his fraudulent actions?

If you proved to me that Doug was acting unethically or illegally with regard to his comic business I would drop him like a hot potato. I have seen not a hint of that kind of behavior.

He freely admits to pressing comic books and fails to disclose them as such despite the fact that he's well aware that most collectors would pay less for a pressed book than an unpressed one in the same grade. That strikes me as unethical.

Maybe I just mis-interpeted your original post a little, sorry.

All I'm saying is the guy did wrong yes, he didnt physically hurt anyone. We dont know the situation why he did what he did, wether it was for personal gain or family expenses, but most everyone is trying to crucify this guy why? because he was a lawyer so therefore he should know better? or because he has a great inventory.

If this guy scammed or screwed anyone here in the past? Bottom line is, the guy is human, some humans make mistakes and same make serious mistakes, the only perfect humans I have ever seen are in the nursery.

What he did is a crime, not a mistake.

I'm still stunned that Pedigree Comics was formed most likely because of his pending disbarment.......as for buying from Doug in the future,it's a tough call.I'm a believer of giving people a 2nd chance,but on the other hand,how many times do you crawl into the lions den? Right now I'm dealing with an executor who stole half my mothers jewelry from her estate.She swooped into my mom's life when she heard she was sick,made her change the will,and make her the executor.I never liked the woman from day 1,but she was a good executor for the first 10 years.Then she ran into legal and finacial problems,and next thing I know,I can't reach her,she changes her number 3 times, & avoids all attempts by me and the estate laywer to contact her about the jewelry.After 9 months of this nonsense,I finally got the jewelry.(when I threatened litigation,of course).Sure enough,she cherry picked all my mothers best jewelry(all the gold and diamonds,only the best for her... foreheadslap.gif)and left all the cr@p for me.I'm in the proccess of taking her to civil court,but it really sickens me to think that people like her actually exist.. sign-rantpost.gif....sorry bout the rant,but this story just hit close to home and I had to vent.... shy.gif