• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RESTORED COMICS..WHATS ALL THE HYPE ABOUT??

112 posts in this topic

I think it's BS because if you're not looking to sell restored books for profit (hence your "collector comments" previously) why do you even care? I am a collector and I appreciate comics for what they are, and could give a rat's what anyone else thinks.

So if you think restored comics are undervalued and not getting a fair shake, then buy them up and trust in your instincts. Just don't expect anyone else to suddenly become "resto converts" just as I don't expect Strange Tales 169 to suddenly become a $500 book.

Just don't expect anyone else to suddenly become "resto converts

Gotta love that new in phrase "resto" - it is da bomb! the jiggy! The mirian! *I* am conviced by it!

But seriously - a cleaned comic or a pressed or a clean/press or a spine roll removal I have no prob with. I can get it cheaper and, as the years go by, I will be glad I bought them when they were cheap!

Cars aren't made of paper..try washing your comic book...it gets damaged.. The analogy just doesn't work. Anytime you're talking about a comic collectible, it's valuable due to demand, scarcity and age..if you restore the book you're removing one of those elements. Why do you think new comics aren't valuable? They aren't scarce, and they're NEW.

As for ablue, I'm just done with you..your posts are nothing but propaganda for restoration and your entire intentions seem to be "disrespect anyone who disagrees".

If people want to buy a restored comic they will, obviously a lot of people don't..if you wanna play slight-of-words tricks with the term restoration then whatever, but as it stands right now...people DON'T buy restored comics simply because they don't WANT them. I don't buy DC comics, are you going to start telling me it doesn't make sense for me to not buy DC comics?

Brian

Brian will learn someday.

I'm done with him.

He thinks it's propaganda if someone voices a concern in the hobby yet he thinks he knows it all to put down someone when that certain someone has years more

expierience than him.

I am trying to lead people in a direction to have an open mind not a greedy closed one only with dollar signs attached.

If you did not get everything so easy you would appreciate things more.

A true collector will love a book restored or not.

even SLIGHT RESTORED>

Yes, that may be true. Like I said, I should have bought the Adventure 40 in Chicago. It was a great buy.

But, the MARKET decides what the book is worth, and right now, the old invisible hand is deciding that restored books are worth a fraction of what unrestored books are worth. I don't really understand your argument.

Are you saying that people should pay higher prices for restored books simply because they should? Or are you saying restoration shouldn't matter when valuing something? And if that's the case, are you saying that the market is wrong? If you're saying that, you need a refresher course in basic economic theory. I'm a firm believer in the efficient market theory - eventually there will be an equilibrium price for everything, and, it appears, the equilibrium price for restored books is 10-20% of unrestored.

If people want to buy a restored comic they will, obviously a lot of people don't..if you wanna play slight-of-words tricks with the term restoration then whatever, but as it stands right now...people DON'T buy restored comics simply because they don't WANT them.

OK. I will try to put this as simple as possible. I am not making a case for people to buy restored books. As I said, "I can get it cheaper and, as the years go by, I will be glad I bought them when they were cheap!"

What I am saying is that there ARE degrees of restoration that should be formally recognized. That a cleaning is not the same as a tear seal or inpainting. The CGC restoration label is an automatic kiss of death because, even when *I* see it, I start envisioning a book with page replacements, large areas of inpainting, bleaching etc etc.

I see no problem with having two different colored labels: one for books that have been cleaned and/or pressed (including spine roll removal) but no more and another color label for all other restoration. And if it has been cleaned/pressed with color touch - it goes into the "for all other restoration" class.

An aside: CGC should stop using the word "includes" in their restoration description. It implies there may be more that has not been mentioned. If they are giving full disclosure the case, they should say "restoration consists of".

I agree here. Restoration should NOT include cleaning/pressing (conservation) of a book - you aren't adding anything to a book in this case. Anything further than this should be considered restoration. However, I will say that when cleaning the book should NOT be taken apart - to me that would fall on the resto side.

True collectors do buy restored comics, but we're a cheap lot and won't pay anywhere near speculator rates for a true, 100% original, unmolested copy.

If you like restored books, then wallow in the depressed prices and buy all you can afford. If you're sitting on a hoard of uber-expensive resto , then I really feel for you, since you're gonna take a huge bath.

Have enough slightly restored bks to bring a TEAR to your eye when u realize the current mkt says they r worth 75% off condition guide. Gulp. Lots of gr8 slight/moderate resto bargains for collectors lookin' to fill in silver /gold runs now

Well, guess I'm not a true collector as I own no restored, conserved or whatever term you want to use for restoration books.. As for different degrees of restoration..what's the point? If you're restoring something it's restoration. Giving them nice different names for it will do nothing but confuse some people, is this what we're attempting to do? Confuse people into buying partially restored books? I've never remembered a time when restored books have gone for what the non-restored version goes for. I'm sure you can pull some rare book out and say it does but I'd guess that if that book was available unrestored it would go for more. Whether it's conserved, restored or whatever.. people don't want the book. It's not because they don't know what's going on..it's because they don't want it. You can claim collector ignorance all you want, but it's the way the market goes and has gone for quite some time.

Brian

I get the impression that CGC uses the word "includes" when talking about the restoration exactly because that's all they have detected. There may be more that they've missed and they're covering their butts in case more "resto" is detected at some other time. What they list is what they can prove.

O.K. Brian - you don't like restored books and never will. I get it. wink.gif

I don't think cleaning and pressing constitutes restoration. I'm not restoring anything. I'm removing dirt and that's about it. I'm not adding anything to the book that wasn't there when it was made originally.

I could give a hoot if the restored market gets better, worse or whatever. I don't buy restored books for re-sale so the point is moot to me.

FYI Matt Nelson currently does 'conservation' on books to include cleaning/pressing. He indicates that CGC does not consider his conservation work to be restoration...you may have some cleaned and/or pressed books in your CGC collection and not even know it! wink.gif

I'm not trying to be contentious with you here and understand your stance. Believe it or not before I found these forums and fell under the evil spell of FF I felt the exact same way about restored books. grin.gif

It seems Brian knows it all.

Lets do whatever he says he seems to be the expert here.

For a student he sure knows alot, all of us well......we don't matter because he seems to know everything.

Oh by the way Brian I guess the only way to get at me is to lessen my star rating.

I don't go by how many stars I get I tell the truth and don't belittle people who have comments to make like you do which is a sign of immaturity and a closed mind. I am sure the majority of people agree with my views on conservation more than you think....

And if you don't agree well so what?? that's your thought. It does not go for everyone.

We don't all look at comics through a marketing prospect some of us love comics

and try to guide people by discussing topics like these.

it is mostly the new kids that jump the bandwagon and have all the answers to this

hobby but do not respect the collectors who might know a little more.

I get the impression that CGC uses the word "includes" when talking about the restoration exactly because that's all they have detected. There may be more that they've missed and they're covering their butts in case more "resto" is detected at some other time.

Yes, that is what is feels like. I just asked in the ASK CGC folder. It is a small but intriquiing point, I think.

Wait until the rumors of a Brother Voodoo movie start circulating. Starring Denzel, with Winona Ryder as the suprise villain!! Slab that thing now!!

During the 1st several Sotheby's auctions b4 Cgc, cleaned & pressed comics sold just as well as totally unrestored virgin/raw gold/silver. No dreaded purple label back then. Cgc moved the goal posts by DICTATING that cleaned & pressed conservation work is now pro resto & purple label.