• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC needs to modify its slabs Please comment opinions!

120 posts in this topic

actually, the concept of a lock that only CGC has the combination to is an interesting one, if unwieldy and impractible at the moment. the sheer expense of developing, testing and engineering something like this would push grading prices into the stratosphere.

a pair of contact points connected to a transmitter would be another futuristic, pie-in-the-sky concept. once the points separate, either from damage or de-slabbing, the transmitter would send a signal to a central computer alerting of the change to the slab.

confused-smiley-013.gif

ultimately, however, i can't help but think that a workaround would be quickly developed to any solution proposed and we would be right back here rather quickly.

it's the marketplace that established the need for the crack and resub game, and until the marketplace realises what exactly is going on - and most importantly, decides that this game is a bad thing, this sort of thing will just continue, despite anything you or i or CGC might do

Thanks for your input Sal. Their is no question that something can be made, that is tamper proof. I realize, the price of slabs would go up, but at this point, who cares. This could be just an addition service, that CGC can offer. Not everyone has to purchase these books. They can do it the regular way. Crack-up and jack-up For me, I would purchase the tamper-proof line.

yeah, but isn't that closing the barn door after the horses are out? at this point, there's still so much we don't know about the amount of work done on books sitting in Blue slabs today. adopting a "slab-forever" policy for certain books wouldn't fix the problems already in the wild...

ultimately, i wonder if history isn't going to look back at the policies CGC instituted - and more regrettably, didn't institute, like a scan database - and bemoan the potential that was left on the table for a truly safer hobby

I can't believe they didn't do a scan database. That would have solved a lot of problems. We all need to come up with a list of sugestions for changes in CGC and try to get them to do it.

I can't believe they didn't do a scan database. That would have solved a lot of problems. We all need to come up with a list of sugestions for changes in CGC and try to get them to do it.

They didn't do it because of the cost. That's per Steve.

Maybe if we as a collecting community thought it was worth $80 for a standard submission instead of $49? confused-smiley-013.gif

They didn't do it because of the cost. That's per Steve.

Maybe if we as a collecting community thought it was worth $80 for a standard submission instead of $49? confused-smiley-013.gif

i'd be interested to know how much they projected the cost per book, especially if they kept all but the Key Moderns out of the equation

Their is no question, that submission costs will rise. People are going to be cracking and jacking slabs which are worth big bucks, Not the inexpencive comics. If we can protect these big bucks books, who cares, if we have to pay $40 more for it. The OSPG will correct BV accordingly.

Is what I would like from board members, is a list of concerns they have with CGC standards, and ways to improve. (Especially the tamper proof container, and More senior graders looking at the books thoroughly, checking for restoration.

What do you think we have been doing on these boards for the last three and a half years?? foreheadslap.gif

What do you think we have been doing on these boards for the last three and a half years?? foreheadslap.gif

Not enough. I wish that we could all come up with a list, that we agree is acceptable to submit to CGC demanding changes. I will personally visit CGC, with a long list of the board members in favor of these changes. Everything that has been done here, (that you speak of) has not been organized. If someone is willing to volunteer to help me provide links in a post about this matter, we can get the ball rolling, before its too late.

Not enough. I wish that we could all come up with a list, that we agree is acceptable to submit to CGC demanding changes. I will personally visit CGC, with a long list of the board members in favor of these changes. Everything that has been done here, (that you speak of) has not been organized. If someone is willing to volunteer to help me provide links in a post about this matter, we can get the ball rolling, before its too late.

If you get a petition and send it in, I'm sure Steve would be happy to look at it. Then you could get his honest opinion as to why something hasn't already happened or won't be done in the near future. And I'm sure 99% of the reason is cost. Maybe there's a few things they could tweak to make their product a lot better without adding a lot of cost. Steve would certainly be all ears then.

If you get a petition and send it in, I'm sure Steve would be happy to look at it. Then you could get his honest opinion as to why something hasn't already happened or won't be done in the near future. And I'm sure 99% of the reason is cost. Maybe there's a few things they could tweak to make their product a lot better without adding a lot of cost. Steve would certainly be all ears then.

I am more willing to start a post in the very near future. I would ask board members to post in the thread, if they are in favor of changes, that us board members need to work out, before the petitions. I would also need a volunteer in case of links that need to be added to the post. (My computer skills only take me so far) Any volunteers? Lets get the ball rolling.

Donna, I am not sure where to begin.

Making changes or tweaking the existing slab/innerwell are all fine and dandy.

I am ALL for the slab evolving as time and especially MONEY dictates.

But what you suggest is just not possible. You do know that CGC wants us to send in our slabs to have them re holdered to replace the micro chamber paper.So sealing a book forever will do it more harm then good.

And any slab design no matter how impervious to outside tampering is in the end a plastic case of some kind. And plastic aint hard break into.

If someone wants to crack a book and potentialize it..they are gonna do it, no matter what type of case it comes in.

I for one would not want a case that is built to "not" be opened. It only increases the odds that the book WILL be damaged upon cracking it out.

The current case design is really quite easy to open, and removing the comic inside without doing ANY harm to the book is just a matter of the right tools, and taking your time.

Making a Fort Knox holder for our books is not the answer to our current dilemmas.

This has been discussed many many times before. And as Steve B. has said many, many times..if somebody brings them a better holder design..they would use it.

They ran with the design that have.. and ordered a butload of them.

I am all for making a list of improvements and sending them to Steve and Co.

But it just is not as simple as it sounds when you consider all the different shapes and sizes of every era comic , and try and make a single prototype holder to accomodate them all. If you create/employ 10 different types of holders to suit your needs you are not going to make any money for a very long time while you recoup your initial R&D investment.

They ran with the design that they have.. and ordered a butload of them.

Tweaking them along the way. It HAS evolved, not to my overall liking..but improvements HAVE been made.

Believe me, I have spent more then a few minutes trying to think of a new slab design that would work better.

As of now..

I am at...zero

Ze-

Donna, I am not sure where to begin.

Making changes or tweaking the existing slab/innerwell are all fine and dandy.

I am ALL for the slab evolving as time and especially MONEY dictates.

But what you suggest is just not possible. You do know that CGC wants us to send in our slabs to have them re holdered to replace the micro chamber paper.So sealing a book forever will do it more harm then good.

And any slab design no matter how impervious to outside tampering is in the end a plastic case of some kind. And plastic aint hard break into.

If someone wants to crack a book and potentialize it..they are gonna do it, no matter what type of case it comes in.

I for one would not want a case that is built to "not" be opened. It only increases the odds that the book WILL be damaged upon cracking it out.

The current case design is really quite easy to open, and removing the comic inside without doing ANY harm to the book is just a matter of the right tools, and taking your time.

Making a Fort Knox holder for our books is not the answer to our current dilemmas.

This has been discussed many many times before. And as Steve B. has said many, many times..if somebody brings them a better holder design..they would use it.

They ran with the design that have.. and ordered a butload of them.

I am all for making a list of improvements and sending them to Steve and Co.

But it just is not as simple as it sounds when you consider all the different shapes and sizes of every era comic , and try and make a single prototype holder to accomodate them all. If you create/employ 10 different types of holders to suit your needs you are not going to make any money for a very long time while you recoup your initial R&D investment.

They ran with the design that they have.. and ordered a butload of them.

Tweaking them along the way. It HAS evolved, not to my overall liking..but improvements HAVE been made.

Believe me, I have spent more then a few minutes trying to think of a new slab design that would work better.

As of now..

I am at...zero

Ze-

The permanent slabs could only be an option. Regular slabs could also be offered. A case can be made tamper proof. Try taking apart a fishing reel.