• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Conversation with Doug Schmell
1 1

72 posts in this topic

i wrote illegal, i meant criminal. illegal is broader than criminal in that i suppose it would encompass violations of the law that would only subject you to civil liability.

sitting on funds (other than the two year case), assuming you pay them back, generally doesn't get you tossed in jail given that the relationship is contractual in nature. is it criminal for your landlord to refuse to give you back your deposit?

It seems like the bias comes from jealousy. It's presumed that Doug had a healthy flow of ill-managed cash and said cash was used to buy some truly great books.

Now Doug is sorry, those clients have been made whole and those books are worth millions. Legally, he's in he clear. Morally, he skated by.

Perhaps it's the strange feeling that Doug indirectly benefited this year from past crimes?

(shrug)

But I will choose to believe him, to trust him again, even in light of everything that has happened.

:golfclap:

Forgive and forget eh?

More like, let him cast the first stone ...

I would have no problem buying a book from him but would never allow him to handle my estate or my family's.

That's just it ! Doug doesn't handle other people's money anymore. He runs a comic book auction site. End of story.

One could argue that he's still handling other people's money. And other people's comics.

He's handled both for me over the last couple years...never an issue.

But I will choose to believe him, to trust him again, even in light of everything that has happened.

:golfclap:

Forgive and forget eh?

More like, let him cast the first stone ...

I don't want to get into an argument with you because he sells books that you like, but that argument is ridiculous on it's face.

That's just it ! Doug doesn't handle other people's money anymore. He runs a comic book auction site. End of story.

You do understand doug operates a consignment site, no? Not sure how you can say he doesn't handle other peoples money?

Not everyone has been so lucky, and I'm talking about within the last few months

:popcorn:

It happened to a friend, so I'm not at liberty to divulge the details. Suffice it say that a leopard doesn't change its spots

Not everyone has been so lucky, and I'm talking about within the last few months

:popcorn:

It happened to a friend, so I'm not at liberty to divulge the details. Suffice it say that a leopard doesn't change its spots

I'm shocked to think that a criminal might re-offend.