• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My Conversation with Doug Schmell
1 1

72 posts in this topic

Why are we bumping old threads? People who read this are going to think it's current and it's definitely not.

Holy cow, so true! I was trying to figure out what attack I was involved with given I'm barely on the boards like I used to be! Half-way down the page I finally realized this thread was 6 years old! doh!

Your ability to cause trouble is timeless. :gossip:

lol true, but I'm older now and its getting more difficult to remember what I did! ;)

I dont event know if anyone will see this in time, but I was looking for some information and hope someone can help me.

I saw in the CGC weekly mailer they pubbed an auction for Pedigree Comics. I looked into it and it seems like a smaller auction site, like my comic shop. I have some interest in some of the books being auctioned tonight, but didnt know about the reputation of this site or operation. I googled the owner/operator Doug Schmell and this thread popped up. It seems he had some trouble in the past but I don't know details.

What I want to know is this site reputable and should I be concerned buying books and sending money. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

On 8/5/2021 at 6:20 PM, 956Ref said:

I dont event know if anyone will see this in time, but I was looking for some information and hope someone can help me.

I saw in the CGC weekly mailer they pubbed an auction for Pedigree Comics. I looked into it and it seems like a smaller auction site, like my comic shop. I have some interest in some of the books being auctioned tonight, but didnt know about the reputation of this site or operation. I googled the owner/operator Doug Schmell and this thread popped up. It seems he had some trouble in the past but I don't know details.

What I want to know is this site reputable and should I be concerned buying books and sending money. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Doug will certainly send you what you paid for usually quite promptly,  I personally stick to a BUY IT NOW format or books with an agreed on price. 

On 8/6/2021 at 1:35 PM, Off Panel said:

I can only speak for myself, but I’ve had a great experience buying from Doug.

I bought multiple books in both the May and June Pedigree auctions and couldn’t be happier with the outcomes.

Ditto, as advertised, good communication, and things are delivered on time, every time with Doug.

On 8/5/2021 at 9:29 PM, shadroch said:

He will deliver what you pay for, but so will a hundred other dealers that didn't rob old ladies to build their business. 

:preach: Sonny, these were in my basement and collected by my husband.

Oh!, those old books, you'd be lucky to get a buck each at a yard sale. I'll handle them for ya! 

On 8/6/2021 at 3:20 AM, 956Ref said:

I bought from him Doug several times. One time though he shipped the 4 slabs i had purchased by squeezing them into a box designed to carry max 3 slabs. As a consequence 1 slab was damaged in transit (error #1). Afterwards he made ME pay for return shipping when the damaged holder was returned for reholdering (error #2). He thus disregarded the fact that the damaged was a consequence of his faulty packaging. Pissed me off pretty bad imho.

Edited by Mr bla bla

The risk of being defrauded on any given transaction on the website is low.

the risk of further enriching an awful awful person is high. 

The internal ethics debate is up to you, nobody has to know.....

I purchased lots of books from Doug before the scandal became public. Seemed like a nice guy and his service was impeccable. Unfortunately I stopped buying from him after his behavior was revealed.