• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Vital Message From Captain America

12 posts in this topic

Came across this PSA in a 1944 copy of Terry-Toons:

cap_psa.jpg

Got me thinking just how many WW2 era Timely's got bundled up and sent of to the paper drives at the urging of Cap himself! Oh, the horror... But, I suppose it was a good cause. Yet another reason to hate war.

Thought others might like to see it.

Very cool post.

I remember going on paper drives back in the late 50's or maybe early sixties. I don't remember much from back then as I was only about 5, and that was a few years prior to my starting to read comics.

A great piece of history. GA books are wrapped in that era of mystique and mirrored a time where brave men fought in hand to hand combat in what will probably be the greatest and last world war history will ever know or see. I guess that's why I cherish my GA books because they are a window to a completely different world and time and I feel lucky to own a copy that survived the paper drives of the day.

I recently saw a coverless All Winners #4 on EBay and the caption on the first page made some reference to "Slimly Japs". Throw in the cover for the Human Torch #12 melting a guys arm off and you really get a sense for how great the tensions were back then and how far we have come today.

OT - I still hate those lane side kicks like Bucky. Was so glad to hear an interview from Stan Lee who talked about the begining of the Silver Age and how he really wanted to get away from the goof ball side kicks.

893applaud-thumb.gif