• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

WIZARD CANCELS WIZARDWORLD BOSTON

25 posts in this topic

http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?s=c8957389245c52dfce628c7967d72e34&threadid=57965

WIZARD CANCELS WIZARDWORLD BOSTON

Coming as a somewhat expected announcement, Wizard Conventions has officially cancelled its Boston show for 2006. The show had already been scheduled and listed on Wizard’s convention plans for October 6th – 8th.

At the WizardWorld Boston minisite, the company’s official announcement reads:

After speaking to our exhibitors and partners, all of whom shared our concerns about the outside costs of doing business at this time, Wizard World Boston has been cancelled. This is an industry decision, and we want to do what’s best for the industry.

We are thankful to the 8,800 fans that attended last year’s event and hope to return to Boston in the near future. We’re now focused on making sure that our other scheduled 2006 events in L.A., Philly, Chicago and Texas are the best Wizard World shows ever.

At 8,800 fans, the debut show was one of Wizard’s lowest attended of 2005 – Chicago saw a reported 56,000; and Philadelphia a reported 27,000. The company did not release figures for Dallas 2005 (which saw a reported 12,000 fans in 2004). The removal of Boston takes Wizard back to its 2004 schedule of four shows (LA, Philadelphia, Chicago, and Dallas). Though not an official Wizard Conventions show, the company formed a marketing relationship with Reed Exhibitions earlier this year, giving Wizard a sponsorship of the upcoming New York Comic Con.

It should also be noted that the official cancellation of WizardWorld Boston is the company’s second “cancellation” of a convention for 2006. During last years’ San Diego Comic Con, Wizard was telling retailers and potential exhibitors of a planned Atlanta show, which was to be held at Atlanta’s Cobb Galleria on the last weekend of June, the same weekend as Heroes Convention in Charlotte, NC, roughly 300 miles to the east.

Though Wizard denied that anything was planned and that talk of an Atlanta show was “rumor and speculation,” officials at the Cobb confirmed for Newsarama that Wizard was slated for a show that weekend, and the schedule of shows, which included Atlanta, were being distributed by Wizard Conventions staffers, in an attempt to land exhibitors.

Many creators and fans rallied to Heroes Con’s side, and later, Wizard’s Gareb Shamus confirmed that there would be no Atlanta show for the company in 2006.

Though 2006’s conventions are just beginning (Wonder Con is next weekend), at through the course of last year’s season, many observers, in speaking with Newsarama on grounds of confidentiality, said that the overall convention schedule was reaching a breaking point, and that something (considering the schedule with increased fuel costs and other factors), sooner or later would have to give, and an adjustment would be coming.

In speaking with the website www.comicbookconventions.com, Wizard Conventions' Martha Donato said that the company has no plans at this time to fill the vacancy on its schedule, though they are always looking for "new cities and new opportunities for our exhibitors."

Wow. We just can't hang on to a major con. To tell the truth, I was a little disappointed in WW Boston anyway. I ended up spending a couple hundred dollars less than my budget because I just couldn't find any more decent deals on the stuff I wanted. I also had to hurry up and shop because I was getting hungry and not inclined to wait in hour-long lines for the junk food they were serving...

893censored-thumb.gif

What he said! Christo_pull_hair.gif

I hope they move forward with plans for an Atlanta show in '07, and the October timeframe they had used for Boston would be about perfect!

I agree Mike. It was a submarine tactic they used to try and muscle Heroe's out. However, if they scheduled an Atlanta show that was not in competition with Heroe's, then I would gladly support it.

I figure that I could convince Anna to go down with me, she can go shopping whilst I geek it up at the show yay.gif

I hope they move forward with plans for an Atlanta show in '07, and the October timeframe they had used for Boston would be about perfect!

I agree Mike. It was a submarine tactic they used to try and muscle Heroe's out. However, if they scheduled an Atlanta show that was not in competition with Heroe's, then I would gladly support it.

I figure that I could convince Anna to go down with me, she can go shopping whilst I geek it up at the show yay.gif

frustrated.gif

Cheap azz, unsupporting Bostonian comic fans frustrated.giffrustrated.gif

At this point, the only trip I will end up making is a trip to visit Metropolis this year, since there are no "Cons" in my area. I was considering the Boston one, if they had it. Guess, this drops it off the list.

At this point, the only trip I will end up making is a trip to visit Metropolis this year, since there are no "Cons" in my area. I was considering the Boston one, if they had it. Guess, this drops it off the list.

CHICAGO.

CHICAGO.

Might be time to visit my brother 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

CHICAGO.

Might be time to visit my brother 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Chicago rules! headbang.gif Too much to see in one day.

I know myself that by October I was completely "conned out" (and still had two more to go after that). I thought Wizard World Boston was pretty good for a first year show in a new market. People were nice, guests were in good spirits, attendance was strong for a Saturday.

But:

Yankees vs. Red Sox games were competing with the show on Friday and Saturday. What can you do? Sometimes there are other things, like major sporting events going on that distract. We would be hurt if there was a Leafs playoff game going on one afternoon of our weekend. And I'd hate to schedule a show on the same weekend as a big annual sports event like the World Series.

frustrated.gif

Yea people from these parts like to look around and keep thier money for a rainy day.I've talked to people who went to WW Boston and they didn't buy anything.Just went to look around.

frustrated.gif

Yea people from these parts like to look around and keep thier money for a rainy day.I've talked to people who went to WW Boston and they didn't buy anything.Just went to look around.

Having lived here for 8 years, I can understand that. The cost of living is so high, and the economy so lukewarm (at best), that discretionary spending, as on comics, ends up taking the hit.

I know myself that by October I was completely "conned out" (and still had two more to go after that). I thought Wizard World Boston was pretty good for a first year show in a new market. People were nice, guests were in good spirits, attendance was strong for a Saturday.

But:

Yankees vs. Red Sox games were competing with the show on Friday and Saturday. What can you do? Sometimes there are other things, like major sporting events going on that distract. We would be hurt if there was a Leafs playoff game going on one afternoon of our weekend. And I'd hate to schedule a show on the same weekend as a big annual sports event like the World Series.

And the way Leafs are playing Playoffs are not going to be a problem in April

If they keep churning out the krap like they did last at WWTx they will probably just be left with Chicago.

WWTx sucked last year. I would be surprised if half the dealers (which was half of those the year before) showed again.