• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D.C.’s 52 Pages

495 posts in this topic

Anyone know why DC decided to go up to 48/52 pages? And was it ever announced beforehand? Here in the UK the 52-pagers just turned up one month. But they were excellent reading.

Costs were increasing for paper etc, and DC wanted to raise prices again. But they were scared to so soon after the 15 cent raise. So they decided to add a lot of pages to make it an "unbelievably good deal" for the extra dime. Theres also a parallel story that Marvel agreed to also go up to 25 cents, but that Marvel chief Martin Goodman folled DC by reverting to 20 cents after only one issue. DC had converted editorial and was committed to the higher price for over a year... during which their sales fell and they lost the lead to Marvel for good.

Im telling it from memory, so details may be wrong on the Marvel angle..

...that's one of my favorite JLA's too,...but It's not a 52 pager,...it's a 64 page 25 cent Giant that sold when regular covers were 15 cents,...I have two primo copies I'm going to submit to CGC,... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif...the Aquaman and Unexpected book were also 64 pagers,...48/52 page DC's weren't giants,...they were the normal selling price for DCs for 11 months back in 1971-1972,...

my goal for the next year and a half is to collect all the D.C.<br>

52 and 48 page Bronze Age books between i think 1971 and 1972.<br>

something about these books i just dig.<br>

first have you ever picked one of them up? it feels like your holding<br>

a golden age book. <br>

they’re not like the square bound 100 page D.C.’s or the Marvel 52 page<br>

square bounds. although i like them too.<br>

these have the rounded spins. i’m not sure what it’s called. anyways<br>

you know what i’m talking about.

I totally know what you're talking about. I have a handful of the Batman, Detective, GA/GL (Adams) & House of Mystery/Secrets books from this era, and they're among my favorite BA books. I love the "heft" of them as you say, and something about the rounded white spines make the books look particularly sharp in the higher grades. Great idea for a thread!

my goal for the next year and a half is to collect all the D.C.<br>

52 and 48 page Bronze Age books between i think 1971 and 1972.<br>

something about these books i just dig.<br>

first have you ever picked one of them up? it feels like your holding<br>

a golden age book. <br>

they’re not like the square bound 100 page D.C.’s or the Marvel 52 page<br>

square bounds. although i like them too.<br>

these have the rounded spins. i’m not sure what it’s called. anyways<br>

you know what i’m talking about.

I totally know what you're talking about. I have a handful of the Batman, Detective, GA/GL (Adams) & House of Mystery/Secrets books from this era, and they're among my favorite BA books. I love the "heft" of them as you say, and something about the rounded white spines make the books look particularly sharp in the higher grades. Great idea for a thread!

thanks man!