• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D.C.’s 52 Pages

495 posts in this topic

Looks like the WWT 12 was a tremendous purchase. Oh how I wish there were shows close to me.

thanks! it was almost the last box i looked at.

yea this is a good area for shows. baltimore, dc,

northern virginia. i would say at least once a month.

to me thats good. granted the fairly small shows. and

pretty much always the same guy's. but i sure am not

complaning.

yea it's not bade here with the shows. the montly

shows along with the baltimore comic con thats

once a year in september. biggest show i've ever

been to. although i know the big apple and others

probably blow that one away.

yea it's not bade here with the shows. the montly

shows along with the baltimore comic con thats

once a year in september. biggest show i've ever

been to. although i know the big apple and others

probably blow that one away.

I love living in Newfoundland, but man, I miss going to shows. This is a comic wasteland! I used to live in Toronto and there were always a couple excellent shows there each year. And on a couple of occasions, I was able to get to San Diego, which was insane!! I hear the best show for DC backissues is the Mid-Ohio show.

My best buys have always been at shows - especially on offbeat, less mainstream stuff (war, western, and until recently, horror) - some hero-centric dealers used to just price that stuff to sell, and sometimes you could really make out like a bandit.

Trying to get to the Paradise Show in Toronto in April.... should be a good show.

Shep

For instance:

BB99.jpg

Both corners have bindery tears, a little fanning and slight miscut -c insane.gifand it got a 9.4. It is a Rosa(my first and I was way more careful after this purchase). I wonder if that has any bearing on grade? If not, then it would appear cgc doesn't mark down too much for these defects. Damn the small picture auctions.

They didn't mark down for the cat hair in the middle of the scan either.

John, slight OT but just curious if your CGC 9.4 here is an old label or new label? Reason I ask is because I have an old label CGC 9.2 Detective 415, which I've always assumed was downgraded b/c of a bindery tear at the top. The spine looks 9.4/9.6 unread, and corners and edges are easily as sharp as your B&B here. There's a very minute amount of stacking wear in the whites of the back cover only, so maybe they dropped it b/c of that and not the bindery tear? confused-smiley-013.gif

Hey guys,

I've been putting together a list of my doubles to put up for sale, and in the spirit of this thread, I pulled out the 48 and 52 pagers (and a few plus 80 and 100 page giants). Keep in mind these are mostly books that I've upgraded on, so they're all in the FN to VF range. A couple of the horror books are real low grade. Anyway, before I drop the whole list of books over in the marketplace I thought I'd see if anyone over here was interested first. I'll have the final list together tonight... There are about two dozen issues from titles like Weird War Tales, Our Army at War, Star Spangled War, Our Fighting Forces, All Star Western, House of Mystery, and House of Secrets. Again - no CGC-worthy material, but most everything is $10 or under.

If you're interested, PM me and I'll send out lists tonight or early tomorrow.

Thanks

Shep

Are the GI Combat $1 books really that hard to find in high grade? I use to see them all the time at the LCS a year or 2 ago. If I remeber correctly they were vf and up. They are gone now of course so I was just wondering as this thread had me wishing I bought them.

Are the GI Combat $1 books really that hard to find in high grade? I use to see them all the time at the LCS a year or 2 ago. If I remeber correctly they were vf and up. They are gone now of course so I was just wondering as this thread had me wishing I bought them.

There are a lot of VF copies out there... just look at ebay. But nice, store-stock NMs? Rarer than you would think.

I still need about 15 upgrades to complete #201-268 in 9.2 or better (unslabbed) and those are proving very hard. The only good news is that a lot of dealers still waaay undervalue these. I bought about 30 dead-on NMs from a dealer in San Diego two years ago for about $4 a piece. According to him, none had been opened - they had just brought them out of storage for the con.

White pages on these are hard too... few dealers/collectors bothered to store them properly.

Shep

John, slight OT but just curious if your CGC 9.4 here is an old label or new label? Reason I ask is because I have an old label CGC 9.2 Detective 415, which I've always assumed was downgraded b/c of a bindery tear at the top. The spine looks 9.4/9.6 unread, and corners and edges are easily as sharp as your B&B here. There's a very minute amount of stacking wear in the whites of the back cover only, so maybe they dropped it b/c of that and not the bindery tear?

New label. After receiving the book I was wondering WTF? How can this be a 9.4? CGC has always perplexed me. confused-smiley-013.gif

To House of Comics. re: B&B 100. I just added a very readable copy of this book to my collection and found it very amusing. I wondered why Superman or heck, GL (since he was in the story) could not just go and get the doctor that was needed to work on Batman. The story never explicitly stated the doctor was "busy" until Friday, just that he couldn't get there "by plane" until Friday. Heck at the end of the book, GL just ringed him over anyway. grin.gif For those who have not read the book and are wondering what the heck I am talking about, I apologize. Also, has the Deadman story in that book ever been reprinted? Eddie

The only way Swamp Thing #7 could be any better was if it was a 52 pager with GA Batman reprints. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

st_iss_7_fc.jpg

First Wrightson Batman. A classic for the ages.

yea i agree. i would have loved to have seen that book in a full

front cover. like you said in a 52 pager. it really deserves that.