• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Valiant - how much did it do for the comic industry (good or bad)?

120 posts in this topic

I'd adjust the statement a bit...

"The smart investor has been buying all of the Valiant keys they can at prices as near to cover price as possible."

Anytime there's renewed interest in any company, you can always double or triple the cover price for key issues. Whether you'll make 2, 20, 200, or 2000 times cover is yet to be seen,

but buying for $2 and selling for $4 is never a bad thing.

If you're buying for $2 and hoping for $40, it might be a long wait.

(...has anyone calculated the current market price of 1980s independent keys vs. their original cover prices?) 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Valiant keys are only about 1 in 50 Valiant books... so don't bother with the other 49 common issues. grin.gif

Most collectors and dealers can say "Yes" when you ask if they have Valiant.

However, most have to say "No" when you ask about Valiant keys.

(...and if they do have them, they usually price them like it's 1993.)

27_laughing.gif Lets see my Unity reds 9.8 sold each for $200 each . My chaos gold's sold for $$$$$ My harbinger 9.8 $ XXX.00. The Harbinger 1 paid for my trip to Hawaii.

They will be worth lots more in a few more years.............. The key is to buy when no one else is buying. It is really that simple..............but some people will never get it........

JC do you have a day job or is this it....................... makepoint.gif Meet me in San Diego so I can buy you a drink and we can go for a walk with me and my friends.

The Valiant art is incredible......................................................

They will be worth lots more in a few more years.............. The key is to buy when no one else is buying. It is really that simple..............but some people will never get it........

Some people never get that your above statements are at odds with each other.

On one hand, you're saying these are "great investments" that "will be worth more in a few years" and on the other you're talking about buying them cheap and flipping them to CGC specu-buyers NOW.

Which is it? Buy and flip where they ain't, or buy and wait for the insane price increases?

Most collectors and dealers can say "Yes" when you ask if they have Valiant.

However, most have to say "No" when you ask about Valiant keys.

(...and if they do have them, they usually price them like it's 1993.)

I rebought most of the Valiant keys out of a quarter box in 2001... grin.gif

Where is this rebirth/reinterest in Valiants supposed to come from? The characters haven't appeared in years and there's no indication anyone is willing to republish them. Especially considering the multiple failed reboots at the end in an attempt to resusitate the line.

Collectors apparently aren't clamoring for their return in any quantity that'll make a publisher jump... confused-smiley-013.gif

I consider pre-Unity Valiant to be a perfect storm in many ways. Right for the time and conditions. I'm not sure a publisher could duplicate that success again with these characters...

Jim

I think Valiant did the comic industry some good as the Valiant books got me back into comics in 1992 after nearly a 20-year hiatus. Too bad Valiant imploded but I'm still collecting--mainly Silver-age now. I still have the Valiants though--they were great reads.

I think it's interesting that when you look at all books submitted to CGC (for all times),

the top 10 publishers have at least 15 years of books in print,

some have over 50 years, but right in the Top 10, you see Valiant,

with only 8 years represented (and 99% are from a six-year window),

listed ahead of classic publishers like Warren and Timely.

http://www.gregholland.com/cgc/customcounts.asp?t=p

Valiant may not be "the greatest ever" by any means,

but even being mentioned among the tops in the industry

is a huge accomplishment for any company

that rose and fell as fast as they did.

New ownership for the Valiant characters will mean a "re-birth" in one form or another fairly soon.

(This time, without the non-comic-focused senior (mis)management of Acclaim.)

It's very unlikely that future Valiant books will have the same impact that Valiant's "Golden Age" had...

but history teaches that any publisher's "Golden Age" books are

usually the best ones to have, especially if you were able to buy 'em cheap. grin.gif

27_laughing.gif Lets see my Unity reds 9.8 sold each for $200 each . My chaos gold's sold for $$$$$ My harbinger 9.8 $ XXX.00. The Harbinger 1 paid for my trip to Hawaii.

JC do you have a day job or is this it....................... makepoint.gif Meet me in San Diego so I can buy you a drink and we can go for a walk with me and my friends.

The Valiant art is incredible......................................................

I think you're confusing the notion of a large collector's market with the notion of a small group of diehards that are willing to pay through the nose for books that only have value to them.

I can say with the utmost of certainty that the latter is the reason for the high prices, not the former.

New ownership for the Valiant characters will mean a "re-birth" in one form or another fairly soon.

Keep up the faith... yeahok.gif You wouldn't by chance have any other evidence to back up your "fairly soon" timeframe?

And aren't these for all the Valiant characters with the exception of the GK/Western properties (Magnus, Solar, etc)? With them out of the mix, the appeal of a new Valiant rebirth is further hampered...

Jim

They are both JC. Good current investments and comics in the future that will continue to hold their value...........As far as flipping books. What is wrong with making a profit. Did I miss something somewhere................ makepoint.gif

They are both JC. Good current investments and comics in the future that will continue to hold their value

I sincerely doubt any speculator is looking to buy comics that will "continue to hold their value". screwy.gif

Hey valiantman, i think you had a list of the keys on your site somewhere. Could i get a link please.

"Most Wanted" issues... in terms of secondary market value:

(by category, regular issues separated from incentives, signature books, etc.)

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/mostwanted.asp

The pre-Unity issues (earliest Valiant books):

http://www.valiantcomics.com/valiant/issuelist.asp

Keep up the faith... yeahok.gif You wouldn't by chance have any other evidence to back up your "fairly soon" timeframe?

And aren't these for all the Valiant characters with the exception of the GK/Western properties (Magnus, Solar, etc)? With them out of the mix, the appeal of a new Valiant rebirth is further hampered...

Jim

"The new owners of the VALIANT characters assure the fans that preparations are being made to relaunch across multiple multimedia platforms." - Jeff Gomez, talking on the VALIANT panel discussion at Big Apple Con, March 31-April 2, 2006

Jim

"The new owners of the VALIANT characters assure the fans that preparations are being made to relaunch across multiple multimedia platforms." - Jeff Gomez, talking on the VALIANT panel discussion at Big Apple Con, March 31-April 2, 2006

yeahok.gif I'll believe it when I see it...and again, do they own the the rights to the stalwarts of the Valiant line or are we likely to see more Ninjack and Visitor? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

At this point there's as much chance of seeing a rebirth of the Atlas/Seaboard characters than the second-tier Valiant roster...

Jim