• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Holy Terrible Super Bowl Officiating!

367 posts in this topic

Wow, I am a fan of neither team, but it's pretty obvious someone wants the Steelers to win. Terrible call after terrible call against the Seahawks - it's becoming embarassing to watch this game.

Sorry, I had to vent!

Wow, I am a fan of neither team, but it's pretty obvious someone wants the Steelers to win. Terrible call after terrible call against the Seahawks - it's becoming embarassing to watch this game.

Sorry, I had to vent!

Let's count:

- Darryl Jackson's TD: Called for a phantom push-off, Seattle settled for a FG. Steve Young and Michael Irvin both said it was a TD.

- Darryl Jackson's catch at the end of the half. His right foot was in, his left hit the pylon and looked like a Touchdown. It was within 2:00 minutes of the half, it SHOULD have at least been reviewed. Gary Horton, long-time NFL analyst and scout on ESPN.com, agreed and pointed this out during the live chat.

- Sean Locklear gets called for a hold on a play where Jerremy Stevens catches the ball on the 2-yd line. Even Madden, who NEVER disputes the officiating, said he didn't see a hold. Instead of first and goal on the 2, the Hawks get penalized, then sacked, then intercepted. Total game changer.

Total and complete B.S.

Not to mention that absolutely ludicrous "low block" penalty on the Seattle QB when he tackled a player. Sure it got reversed (costing Seattle their challenge), but you have to ask why it even got called?

Sorry, I had to vent!

Let's count:

- Darryl Jackson's TD: Called for a phantom push-off, Seattle settled for a FG. Steve Young and Michael Irvin both said it was a TD.

- Darryl Jackson's catch at the end of the half. His right foot was in, his left hit the pylon and looked like a Touchdown. It was within 2:00 minutes of the half, it SHOULD have at least been reviewed. Gary Horton, long-time NFL analyst and scout on ESPN.com, agreed and pointed this out during the live chat.

- Sean Locklear gets called for a hold on a play where Jerremy Stevens catches the ball on the 2-yd line. Even Madden, who NEVER disputes the officiating, said he didn't see a hold. Instead of first and goal on the 2, the Hawks get penalized, then sacked, then intercepted. Total game changer.

Total and complete B.S.

I agree with you on the 1st and the 3rd, but the 2nd...Jackson's right foot was clearly out. Regardless, the media was clearly pro-Steelers before the game and the officiating crew was heavily pro-Steelers.

Sorry, I had to vent!

Let's count:

Total and complete B.S.

I agree with you on the 1st and the 3rd, but the 2nd...Jackson's right foot was clearly out. Regardless, the media was clearly pro-Steelers before the game and the officiating crew was heavily pro-Steelers.

The funny thing is I forgot all about the phantom Big Ben TD in the 2nd quarter. Sure looked to me like he was stopped.

As for # 2, I could've sworn his foot hit the pylon before he stepped on the chalk. The pylon is considered inbounds and part of the endzone...I still maintain it should at least be reviewed. I wasn't the only one who saw it, either.

I beyond frustrated at this point. I really hope Paul Allen takes his billions and sues the NFL. They really deserve it after this turkey.

A complete farce.

Like you, I could care less which team won. The game was totally determined by the officiating and, amazingly, no one in the announcers booth could even bother to comment on this, although they did mention how weak the calls were.

I know I'm getting old-- I kept saying to myself "It never used to seem that officiating played such a role in a Super Bowl".

Sorry, I had to vent!

Let's count:

Total and complete B.S.

The funny thing is I forgot all about the phantom Big Ben TD in the 2nd quarter. Sure looked to me like he was stopped.

As for # 2, I could've sworn his foot hit the pylon before he stepped on the chalk. The pylon is considered inbounds and part of the endzone...I still maintain it should at least be reviewed. I wasn't the only one who saw it, either.

I beyond frustrated at this point. I really hope Paul Allen takes his billions and sues the NFL. They really deserve it after this turkey.

I thought he was clearly out as did Madden. confused-smiley-013.gif But a lot of those other calls were just retarded. I am a huge Eagles fan so I didn't have a vested interest in this game, but as a lover of football, I must say that was a boring and frustrating game to watch.

I'm going to go slightly conspiracy theorist on you guys and say that for years I've noticed that in big games the media darling tends to get the upper hand in the officiating department.

The NFL always says that the notion is preposterous but, at one point, it can't be ignored.

Not to mention that absolutely ludicrous "low block" penalty on the Seattle QB when he tackled a player. Sure it got reversed (costing Seattle their challenge), but you have to ask why it even got called?

I don't believe that low block call was reversed. They called a 15 yard personal foul which was assessed after the interception. Ridiculous call. Are these suppose to be the best officials in the league?? These old men need to change professions; get some people not suffering from senility.

Did anyone catch that one referee who jumped/tackled a Seattle player on the ground?? I don't think I'd ever seen that before.

I don't believe that low block call was reversed. They called a 15 yard personal foul which was assessed after the interception. Ridiculous call. Are these suppose to be the best officials in the league?? These old men need to change professions; get some people not suffering from senility.

Did anyone catch that one referee who jumped/tackled a Seattle player on the ground?? I don't think I'd ever seen that before.

The umpire that went after the "loose ball?" Yeah, what was he trying to do, relive the glory days? The play was blown dead...why go into the pile? You're an officiator, aren't you?

The umpire that went after the "loose ball?" Yeah, what was he trying to do, relive the glory days? The play was blown dead...why go into the pile? You're an officiator, aren't you?

And then after the play he got all in the Seattle player's face trying to show how tough an official he was. What a joke!! I really dont' subscribe to conspiracy but rather to complete incompetence.

I didn't have a rooting interest and for me, the game was called okay. Surprised by the outrage. I can understand Seahawk fans whining, but for others, did you guys have money on the game or something? grin.gif

If you even pretend to be objective, you can't seriously think the game was called fairly.

I didn't have a rooting interest and for me, the game was called okay. Surprised by the outrage. I can understand Seahawk fans whining, but for others, did you guys have money on the game? grin.gif

Nah, but the officiating was pretty poor. That offensive interference call was plain bogus. It's the Super Bowl, the result of the play is a touchdown, and if the end zone umpire isn't 100% sure that it was a push off, then why call it? Jackson barely touched the defender but the umpire felt it necessary to wipe out a touchdown on a VERY questionable call? This isn't something new in football...that's why the motto "let them play" or "let it go in a big game" is all the rage amongst fans and commentators alike.

I kept saying to myself "It never used to seem that officiating played such a role in a Super Bowl".

Well the 1st Half of the St Louis - Pats game was probably the worst officiating I've ever seen, and it was obvious the NFL wanted to keep it close at Halftime, and not let St Louis run away with it against the outmatched Pats. So they basically let the NE defence mug the STL receivers for an entire half.

And I'm a big NE fan, so it must have been pretty bad. sorry.gif

But as a whole game, start to finish, this one takes the cake.