• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

V for Vendetta....what'd you think?

71 posts in this topic

I thought it was so-so. But I'm a film student so I'm a bit biased. I really liked the V character and his first monolog using all the V words was really cool.

I thought it was so-so. But I'm a film student so I'm a bit biased. I really liked the V character and his first monolog using all the V words was really cool.

That was my least favorite part of the movie. The only thing that saved that scene from being irretrievably creepy and weird was the way Natalie Portman reacted to him by telling him he was a lunatic.

That was my least favorite part of the movie. The only thing that saved that scene from being irretrievably creepy and weird was the way Natalie Portman reacted to him by telling him he was a lunatic.

Agree... I thought that part was silly too. But I loved his speech when he took over the tv station... "People should not fear their govenment; the government should fear its people." Great line.

Rule #1... read the comic BEFORE you see the movie. No wonder you thought it was mediocre...... you didn't have anything vested. But if you gave it a B-, then it should definately be worth seeing. Thanks for the review.

My Rule #1. When seeing any adapted movie, see the movie first. The novel is usually better, so the enjoyment of the movie will be greater. You don't pick apart every little change. Then read the novel to flesh out the backstories and characters and get a better appreciation of the material. Especially true of any Moore adaptions.

The movie was amazing. It had me thinking American revolution.

There were two scenes in the movie where my heart nearly beat out of my chest. The scene with Portman on the deck as it was raining. And the scene with the dominos while the Inspector theorized about how it would all end.

I give it a HUGE thumbs up.

Pat

Rule #1... read the comic BEFORE you see the movie. No wonder you thought it was mediocre...... you didn't have anything vested. But if you gave it a B-, then it should definately be worth seeing. Thanks for the review.

My Rule #1. When seeing any adapted movie, see the movie first. The novel is usually better, so the enjoyment of the movie will be greater. You don't pick apart every little change. Then read the novel to flesh out the backstories and characters and get a better appreciation of the material. Especially true of any Moore adaptions.

I agree 100%. I always enjoy the movie more if I haven't already read the book. I am one of those few people, however, who does not judge a movie by how much I liked the book. I recognize that no two-hour movie is ever going to live up to a book that takes three days to read, so I just accept the movie for what it is.

I thought the movie was great. I went with 4 friends (2 guys, 2 girls) and afterwards we sat around and discussed it for about 45 minutes (and even pulled out an old Entertainment Weekly and looked up more information about the filming). I loved it and am looking forward to extras when it comes out on DVD.

loved it.

the V aliteration monologue was excellent.

John Hurt's role was deliciously ironic.

When I first saw that it was over 2hrs, i thought it was going to be a butt numbing flick like Kong or the sw prequels, but the time just flew by. It pulled me right in and never let me go.

I was quite shocked that something this good came from the Wacrapski brothers.

Agree... I thought that part was silly too. But I loved his speech when he took over the tv station... "People should not fear their govenment; the government should fear its people." Great line.

Indeed! Thomas Jefferson said it first, though - "When the people fear the government, that's tyranny. When the government fears the people, that's liberty." I will definitely be seeing this movie. It has the potential to be a hugely important film in getting people thinking and talking.

don't overrate the movie's significance. everyone who I know who wasn't a comic fan or knew a comic fan and saw it said this: It was an enjoyable, over the top movie.

Let's not think it's going to have some sort of societal significance -- because folks, it's not going to.

Indeed! Thomas Jefferson said it first, though - "When the people fear the government, that's tyranny. When the government fears the people, that's liberty." I will definitely be seeing this movie. It has the potential to be a hugely important film in getting people thinking and talking.

Let's not think it's going to have some sort of societal significance -- because folks, it's not going to.

Do I think people are going to see this movie, put on a mask, and blow up the White House?

No.

Do I think this film might get under some people's skin, make them think about our world, and along with a hundred other things, affect how they vote in 2008?

Maybe.

Do I think people are going to see this movie, put on a mask, and blow up the White House?

No.

Do I think this film might get under some people's skin, make them think about our world, and along with a hundred other things, affect how they vote in 2008?

Maybe.

Who is going to "buck the system" in 2008, anyway? It's going to be one "side" or the other, both of whom happen to be working for their own best interests, not those of the American people.

Who is going to "buck the system" in 2008, anyway? It's going to be one "side" or the other, both of whom happen to be working for their own best interests, not those of the American people.

True. That's the same point I made to a friend after the movie. People are complacent until things get so bad that they are stirred into action. That happened in a minor way in 1992, and possibly again in 2008. A regime change, but nothing too radical. Things are going too well for most of American for there to be much of a revolution.

True. That's the same point I made to a friend after the movie. People are complacent until things get so bad that they are stirred into action. That happened in a minor way in 1992, and possibly again in 2008. A regime change, but nothing too radical. Things are going too well for most of American for there to be much of a revolution.

Agreed. The current situation in the U.S. isn't as extreme as the situation presented in Engand in the movie. We don't need a revolution, just a nudge back in the right direction.