• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DC Whitman Reprints 1970s-1980s

18 posts in this topic

First time poster (though long time lurker) so be gentle. Can anyone direct me to anyplace that may list rarity of Whitman reprints of 70s-80s DC Comics? Has there ever been any confirmed tallies on these books. Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to a long and rewarding chat life with you guys. Eddie

First time poster (though long time lurker) so be gentle. Can anyone direct me to anyplace that may list rarity of Whitman reprints of 70s-80s DC Comics? Has there ever been any confirmed tallies on these books. Any help would be appreciated and I look forward to a long and rewarding chat life with you guys. Eddie

stooges.gifstooges.gif

Seriously though, you don't wanna collect those Whitmans. At least not until I finish my set. devil.gif

Still got about 60 to go.... soon as I get them, I'll let you know what I think are the scarcest! grin.gif

So a question to you DC/Whitman collectors. In the below scan, would you open the pre-bag and grade the books (they should be pretty good shape I would think) or keep them as is? Thanx. Eddie

1103178-wwwhitmanbagged3.jpg

Bah, they're worthless in that bag. Can't read them in there! May as well sell it to me! devil.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Actually I'd keep them in the bag whether you sell it to me or not. Much more interesting collectible that way. thumbsup2.gif

Got any more still bagged?

The only other Whitman bagged I have are Marvel's. I do have still bagged DC's but they are not Whitmans. I do have several Whitman's that are "unbagged". smile.gif I have a gorgeous DC Presents 3 that I know is not worth anything per say but I am gonna have it graded because it is so nice. Eddie

The only other Whitman bagged I have are Marvel's. I do have still bagged DC's but they are not Whitmans. I do have several Whitman's that are "unbagged". smile.gif I have a gorgeous DC Presents 3 that I know is not worth anything per say but I am gonna have it graded because it is so nice. Eddie

Recalling that you asked about which Whitmans were rare vs scarce, I'd have to say that the first few issues of DCCP are among the most common of the Whitman variants available in HG. But I haven't seen any/many slabbed copies though, so you might pick up top census! 893crossfingers-thumb.gifyay.gif

Is the explaination of the different whitman logos a generalization when it come to the rarity of the books. I just bought a stack of books yesterday and found the following whitman variants. Green Lantern 116, SGT Rock 329, Warlord 22, Wonderwoman 255, Superboy 252, and a Superfriends(forgot number). Looking them up in OVERSTREET (Yes, I know they make mistakes) Warlock is "scarce" and they don't list the Green Lantern 116. Any idea of values of GL asuming vf-?

I used to think Warlord 22 was really scarce until around 5 copies showed up in the last two months. But, they may still be rare in relation to some other Whitman's.

The Rock 329 falls into the rarer than the rest category too.

As for the GL--it is just not in OS. I do not think it is rare.

I used to think Warlord 22 was really scarce until around 5 copies showed up in the last two months. But, they may still be rare in relation to some other Whitman's.

The Rock 329 falls into the rarer than the rest category too.

As for the GL--it is just not in OS. I do not think it is rare.

Agreed, Warlord #22 isn't among the scarcest and in fact is fairly easy to find. It was just one that wasn't on current Whitman collectors' radars right away.