• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How to get rid of shills permanently

141 posts in this topic

This problem is getting ridiculous.

We need to have the mods do ID verification (when signing up, give them your name and phone number and they call you to verify your ID) on every new account. Sure, there are still shills who have already been created, but at least this will stop the current "kill-one-and-three-more-spring-up-in-his-place" phenomenon.

Seriously, let's do this. Calling to verify IDs will take a little extra time, but not as much time as it must take to research and ban shills as they go out of control.

We need to have the mods do ID verification (when signing up, give them your name and phone number and they call you to verify your ID) on every new account.

That's not going to happen, nor should it have to. The mods just need to be a little more pro-active. The shills are pretty easy to spot. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Overall, I just can't believe how many games people play on here day in, and day out.

This problem is getting ridiculous.

Sure, the shills are one thing. insufficiently_thoughtful_persons that cannot state their case enough with one screen name but need to back it up with additional screen names supporting the other, and so on... or whatever reasons these guys have for creating shills. I thought we were all adults here. This has become some kind of playground and it has really turned me off. I don't use other message boards that often, so I'm not sure if this kind of behavior is widespread, or if it just here. In any case, my one bit of advice to the "shills" is to grow up, sign on with one screen name, state your opinions no matter how politically correct, but do it in a reasonable manner that is not insulting or malicious. It really bothers me to see the juvenile behavior that I see displayed here day in and day out by not only the shills, but some regulars as well. If I'm wrong and all this is A-O-K since we are just talking funny books then fine, but by my eyes it has made this forum a place where the adults talking are constantly interupted by a bunch of kids. Maybe Arch should create a kids table area where the shills, as well as the overly aggressive and flamers can hang out together and not interupt the rest of us. crazy.gif

I don't think the whole phoning thing would work to be honest. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif How many new members is this going to put off? A mod can't be there 24/7 for all the people signing up and i doubt anyone is going to wait until the next day to wait for a phone call.

Something does have to be done but i don't think that is the way 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think the whole phoning thing would work to be honest. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif How many new members is this going to put off? A mod can't be there 24/7 for all the people signing up and i doubt anyone is going to wait until the next day to wait for a phone call.

Something does have to be done but i don't think that is the way 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Anyone who is so impatient that they can't await ID verification is probably not someone who would make a great addition to the boards anyway. confused-smiley-013.gif

Another way is through credit card ID verification. Some companies do this. They charge a nominal amount (like 50 cents or a dollar or something) to the credit card of the customer to verify the ID. They could even charge it back immediately once the transaction goes through so that the site is still free. Something is needed though, because the shill problem is getting out of hand.