• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comments on this Action Comics #7

36 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I was wondering a couple things on the below copy of Action Comics #7 (which i do NOT own).

A few years ago I saw it listed several times on ebay (seller "vtcomics" I believe) and comiclink but I don't remember it selling. Anyone know who currently owns it or where it is?

Also, do you think it's graded correctly since there are two binder holes that run through the book? I was thinking if re-graded it may get a Qualified label or at least be mentioned on the label.

803033005o.jpg

I'd say over-graded. Can't see going better than FR on a hole-punched copy. I guess being an Action #7 has it's benifits. If the copy was otherwise very, very sharp, I guess I could see a qualified grade, but I'm generally pretty anti-qualified.

I took a quick look in the Grading Guide and I see no mention of hole-punches. Am I missing it? Seems like this is a common enough problem in SA/GA books that they might want to address it in a later edition.

I think it was graded accurately.. I mean it's a nice book, just with a major defect with the hole punches... I hope someday we can move beyond the "Qualified" grade,.. just take all defects into consideration and give the book an "overall" grade...

thinking about buying this # 7 Brian ???insane.gif

Grading gets real subjective down in the lower grades, but I'd definitely give this a Good. Basically, any comic that is complete, non-brittle, and not disgusting is in Good territory in my book. The punch holes, while obtrustive, do not make it disgusting. I've seen much much worse labelled a Good.

Grading gets real subjective down in the lower grades, but I'd definitely give this a Good. Basically, any comic that is complete, non-brittle, and not disgusting is in Good territory in my book. The punch holes, while obtrustive, do not make it disgusting. I've seen much much worse labelled a Good.

I agree. That's why I pointed this one out as a nice example of a 2.0 that I'd be happy to own.

I'd be happy to own it, but not at the GD price. I guess that's really what it comes down to.

That said, in my mind hole punches are the sort of "massive trauma" only allowable in FR. I would feel the same way if a comparable amount of material was missing from the outer corners of the entire thickness of the copy.

well put

That said, in my mind hole punches are the sort of "massive trauma" only allowable in FR.

Damage would have to affect the integrity of the book for me to consider it "massive trauma". Hole punches are unsightly, and may even affect the story, but will not cause the book to fall apart.

I was thinking if re-graded it may get a Qualified label or at least be mentioned on the label.

CGC is far less likely to assign qualified grades than they were in the old-label days. In fact, many old-label qualified grades can be re-subbed for blue labels(and a lower grade, of course).

I think at these lower grades, actual grade evaluations are meaningless. Collectors who are interested in lower grade books want the book, not the number.

If I saw this book at the overstreet Good price, I'd buy it without thinking twice.

At the Overstreet Good price of $2857?

Er, yeah...me too... blush.gif

This book goes for well over guide, no?

Absolutely, I know the CGC 4.0 with rusted staples on Bill Hughes site has a sold sticker on it at $13,500. I remember Metro had a 3.5 copy with an asking price of around $8,000 a few years ago.

Interestingly, looking at the CGC census, the 2nd highest graded Action #7 right now is a 4.5 893whatthe.gif