• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why so expensive??

26 posts in this topic

Linky

Never heard of these books...what makes them so rare??

It's like a bootleg copy of comic stories that never got published because DC cancelled a bunch of series at the same instance.

"Thirty-five copies were produced in the Warner Duplicating department

thirty-four went to the creative folks involved and the copyright office. The last copy went to Price Guide publisher Bob Overstreet to show the world it actually happened."

I thought they usually sold for more. Aren't there 1st and 2nd printings of these? Not sure what the differences are. I know Ian Levine has a 2nd generation set.

I just got a kick out of reading the questions. So who wrote this one? 27_laughing.gif

"Q: Hello. I saw your answer to a question on this auction and you said I was wondering who this person was/is and what the dates they worked for Heritage were? Is this person still on staff with you? Did he ever work for you and Heritage at the same time? I ask because of the CGC/Heritage controversy - Jim Halperin owns 25% of CGC, no? And your company seems to have an inordinate amount of slabs - I mean, you have the most slabs I've ever seen one dealer have. Did you submit them through Heritage? Did you get a bulk submission rate from CGC? Have you ever pressed or paid to have pressed, any comics? You guys seem to be able to grade - why waste so much money getting crappy Moderns slabbed when they won't sell at jacked up prices? Thanks in advance, Stu

Jan-12-06

A: We have the most CGC comics because we bought them and had them slabbed. The comic cavalcade is the real deal. Take care. "

I stand corrected. It was first gen, but part of a legal 2nd set.

"Paul Sassienie bought me a set at San Diego in 2002. It looks like a first generation set. It was sold to him as one of 35 originals. Not the first ten or whatever with a plain cover, but the next 35 that were legal. Either way, it looks real and it's only photocopy paper anyway. It matches the DC black and white previews in paper size and texture."

Um.... this auction is for the plain cover ones = illegal? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I stand corrected. It was first gen, but part of a legal 2nd set.

"Paul Sassienie bought me a set at San Diego in 2002. It looks like a first generation set. It was sold to him as one of 35 originals. Not the first ten or whatever with a plain cover, but the next 35 that were legal. Either way, it looks real and it's only photocopy paper anyway. It matches the DC black and white previews in paper size and texture."

Um.... this auction is for the plain cover ones = illegal? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That is just one meandering statement by Ian. so there are "45" copies going around? Maybe the 35 "legal" ones had a plain cover too? I'm wondering why pay so much for photocopy paper when you can make your own copies of these suckhass titles that were about to be cancelled anyway. Probably nothing in there of note or value to the reader and the risk of getting a faux reprint is much higher than the capability to distinguish it from the real thing.

I just got a kick out of reading the questions. So who wrote this one? 27_laughing.gif

"Q: Hello. I saw your answer to a question on this auction and you said I was wondering who this person was/is and what the dates they worked for Heritage were? Is this person still on staff with you? Did he ever work for you and Heritage at the same time? I ask because of the CGC/Heritage controversy - Jim Halperin owns 25% of CGC, no? And your company seems to have an inordinate amount of slabs - I mean, you have the most slabs I've ever seen one dealer have. Did you submit them through Heritage? Did you get a bulk submission rate from CGC? Have you ever pressed or paid to have pressed, any comics? You guys seem to be able to grade - why waste so much money getting crappy Moderns slabbed when they won't sell at jacked up prices? Thanks in advance, Stu

Jan-12-06

A: We have the most CGC comics because we bought them and had them slabbed. The comic cavalcade is the real deal. Take care. "

I don't know who Stu is, but he is very uninformed I guess. They are referring to Fred McSurley who used to work for Heritage and then went to work for Warehouse Auction Center doing acquisitions. Fred travelled to most comic conventions and scoured every dealer looking for books to get slabbed and sell for WAC. Fred has since left WAC and is now selling on Ebay for himself.

Cancelled Comic Cavalcade contains single-sided, photocopied covers and pages for several titles that DC cancelled in what is commonly referred to as “the DC Implosion” in the 1970s. The two volume sets were produced for copyright purposes and distributed on a limited basis. Photocopying and selling them is no different than any other form of intellectual property theft.

Photocopying and selling them is no different than any other form of intellectual property theft.

I see your point Tom. However, the problem would lie in distinguishing "official" photocopies that DC had printed vs. photocopies made from these copies? I'm not condoning their sale, but if I were a big fan/collector/completionist of these cancelled titles, I'd be looking for a friend who could "share" his copy with me.