• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sfilosa starts to cash out.

218 posts in this topic

I believe that if anyone had provided material evidence on the forums that Ewert was doing more than cleaning/pressing books, it would NOT have been ignored.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Seriously, thanks for the laugh.

Do you honestly believe that someone just *found* that trimmed book and everything rolled from there? No way, it was a long-term process of getting people's minds around the whole idea, and while the initial proof was greeted with hoot of derision, it did created a foundation to finally catch the guy.

You say "truth is the strongest armor" and I answer that "Rome wasn't built in a day".

You gonna take credit for Ewert now? How about accepting egg on your face for the Great Crash of 2004

And I didn't take any abuse for that prediction? What 893censored-thumb.gif planet are you from? There were multiple threads started (probably 10+ by banner alone) about me being wrong.

You seem to be of the bizarre school of "Take Yer Licks When You're Wrong, But Shut Up When You're Right". screwy.gif

I'm truly surprised to read this. I don't know if you're talking about statements made in the BA, Copper or Modern forums, which I don't usually go into, but I honestly can't recall any HG collector in the General, GA or SA forums denigrating someone's lower grade book or criticizing people for collecting lower grade books. And just in case you're talking about my comments about spitting on 9.2s, please realize it was a joke, usually between me and FFB.

You are correct. Its mostly copper and modern collectors who frown upon 9.2s and below because they are essentially worthless unless they are key books.

Do you honestly believe that someone just *found* that trimmed book and everything rolled from there? No way, it was a long-term process of getting people's minds around the whole idea, and while the initial proof was greeted with hoot of derision, it did created a foundation to finally catch the guy.

So, was Abrahms (who was most likely Daniel Dupcak) an active part of this inner circle of people who were gathering information and evidence on Ewert? Or was he inspired for some reason to investigate on his own?

Keep in mind, it was in response to a, shall we kindly say, challenging post from Joe Collector that Mr. Brulato brought forth the heavy insults.

Yeah, and I guess we know who was right in all the JC vs. Ewert battles. acclaim.gifacclaim.gif

Of course, no one will never forget all the fools that sided with Ewert. Losers all. 27_laughing.gif

So what, exactly, does all your prattling about Jason Ewert have to do with the prior posts discussing your dustup with Tom Brulato, and the discussion on this thread about whether high grade collectors ever came on these boards to rag on lower grade collectors?

Or is this just a chance for you to try out a little look-at-me chest-thumping?

So what, exactly, does all your prattling about Jason Ewert have to do with the prior posts discussing your dustup with Tom Brulato, and the discussion on this thread about whether high grade collectors ever came on these boards to rag on lower grade collectors?

What thread would that be? This one's about how "Sfilosa starts to cash out" his SA books on Pedigree.

In that context, my comments are as on-topic as those you've listed.

Yes, we're getting off topic here. This is a good thread, let's keep it that way.

27_laughing.gif This thread's been all over the map since Day 1. Check out all the "speculative housing bubble economics" conversations that went on mid-way.

But I agree, let's talk more about the mad money he's making from the sale. I never intended it to off-topic, but *someone* just had to drag my name into it. 893naughty-thumb.gif

I believe that if anyone had provided material evidence on the forums that Ewert was doing more than cleaning/pressing books, it would NOT have been ignored.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Seriously, thanks for the laugh.

You say "truth is the strongest armor" and I answer that "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I don't think anyone is implying that people knew the extent of Ewerts methods to the degree of calling a spade a spade before the story surfaced. However, the writing was on the wall, and you can read back to a thread about the OS guide and Brad's legendary thread on how a book improve's to hear some of the doubts being raised by Ewert's can't miss grade successes.

I'll also say that after a few times being called out as some heretic or conspiracy nut, it did reduce the inclination for me to come on these boards as well as a few others message boards I frequented where I was talking about unusual activity. Most of it seemed to fall too often on a disinterested audience.

Thanks for chiming in, Joseph. I can certainly understand your position. While the writing may have been on the wall as you say, JC's "I told you so" seemed imply that clear evidence of manipulation beyond pressing and cleaning was being circulated prior to the Abrams posts about the trimmed books.

You gonna take credit for Ewert now? How about accepting egg on your face for the Great Crash of 2004

And I didn't take any abuse for that prediction? What 893censored-thumb.gif planet are you from? There were multiple threads started (probably 10+ by banner alone) about me being wrong.

You seem to be of the bizarre school of "Take Yer Licks When You're Wrong, But Shut Up When You're Right". screwy.gif

no. But you are definitely from the "Look At Me" school. I dont recall anyone asking who posted what about Ewert. Dont you feel any inclination to NOT toot your own horn all the time? Why do you feel compelled to say stuff like this? Even IF you are right once in a while, you defeat your own purposes by making such claims and I told you sos.

As for the lumps you took over TGC'04, they were just the same lumps you ALWAYS get here in response to your posts. I dont recall ONE post FROM you where you admitted even in a sheepish friendly way "ooops. messup on the whole crash prediction thing. Sorry!"

Thanks for re-posting that thread Comicwiz, great read that I highly recommend. Certainly captures what seems to be going on in the hobby now. After talking to several people at Wondercon, I am more convinced that the high grade slab market is full of books that have had their full potential released. This had been made possible in large part to the grading standards CGC has adopted (in my opinion). Certain dealers are well known to be big pressing kings. I looks forward to reading a future book by a restorator/conservator entilted "My life on the inside, confessions of a comicbook restorator" by "you fill in the blank". Should make for some interesting reading.

27_laughing.gif This thread's been all over the map since Day 1. Check out all the "speculative housing bubble economics" conversations that went on mid-way.

I take full credit for that one. hi.gif

It was only semi-off topic because Filosa is in the real estate biz! tongue.gif

It was only semi-off topic because Filosa is in the real estate biz!

Yes I am. thumbsup2.gif

Of course I wish I was in the position I'm in now (CFO) ten years ago before the Condo boom. I would have had access to many opportunities that will not present themselves for many years to come.

Of course it's like saying you wish you worked for Microsoft in the early 80's, and got all the stock options they gave out. The real question is would you have been working for them when their was no assurity that they would be in business a few years later. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ewert didn't go around picking up books everyone else had access to and magically pressing/trimming them all to 9.6's and 9.8's, he started with the cream of the crop, and unfortunately he creamed them a little more before selling them... frown.gif

Not true, and I know for a fact that he picked up some calm-mix/bettyswalls books and transformed VF (with ink and slight edge damage) into HG CGC 9.4-9.6 slabs with bone-white back covers. Amazing.

You know that too, as I believe I forwarded you the info. I know I did tell Bruce. gossip.gif

Of course he may have also used ebay as a source, but I know for a fact that Tom and Jason would get first crack at virgin collections found by large dealers, and would fly to see them and cherry pick the gems.

I recall the incident with the Spidey 129 from calm-mix (wasn't it a rocketeer flip?), but no one (you included) ever mentioning trimming, solvent cleaning, etc.,. confused-smiley-013.gif

...Ewert did buy several ASM 129's from me about 2 years ago,...I had about 20 distributer copies with various degrees of printer's ink and bundle strap marks,...however I did not purchase them from Calm-Mix//Betty Balls...I subbed the best ones myself and he purchased I think 4 copies from me that probably wouldn't have graded better than an 8.5/9.0 if submitted as-was,...he paid me $300.00 per copy,...they were excellent pressing candidates that would easily have been made into 9.4-9.8,... he contacted me through the boards under some name like comicnerdwithnomoney...or something stupid like that,...I do remember telling Banner this a while back maybe he saved the PM, but it was at least a full year before the poop hit the fan ,...