• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Comic Book Artists

82 posts in this topic

Hmmm, that's not what I read, more like he had a guy on his back and a rope... 893naughty-thumb.gif

I never heard the homosexual angle.

I was told (not fact, I can't confirm) he was a victim of "Sexual Asphyxiation". Essentially, he was "rumored" to have accidentally hung himself while masturbating.

Participants of this technique are "supposed to" enjoy a heightened orgasm when cutting off "some" off the oxygen to the brain, so the jugular is tied off somewhat. If its done too aggressively (tightly)... consciousness can be lost and then you'll die from loss of oxygen to the brain.

Reference the movie "Rising Sun" and an episode of six feet under last season.

BUT... aside from this, he should be remembered for his excellent work... not an embarrising and fatal mistake...if the rumors are true.

Frank Frazetta, once again I love this guy too but I wish he did more actual comic work instead of just covers.

Al Williamson, Al's work was absolutely gorgeous in Weird Fantasy. True classics.

Jim Lee, I must profess a strong admiration of this guy's work. At times he's guilty of over stylization common to modern artists but when he's at the top of his game his work is awesome. Uncanny X-men #268. 'nuff said. Some people don't like his new batman stuff but I do.

SA/Bronze

NEAL ADAMS

JOHN BUSCEMA(surpirsed he isn't on more lists....his AVENGERS and SILVER SURFER work are top-tieR)

JOHN ROMTIA SR

JIM STERANKO

Modern

MICHAEL TURNER

JIM LEE

MARK SILVESTRI

Jazzy Johnny Romita - The man who made Spidey what he is today, and icons of Gwen and MJ.

Here, here!!

That's my opinion as well in regards to Spidey. I was arguing this in the Polls forum that it was Romita who has a heavier influence over Ditko in terms of how Spide and his cast are done today.

I was arguing this in the Polls forum that it was Romita who has a heavier influence over Ditko in terms of how Spide and his cast are done today.

Nah.....Romita may have had a bigger influence on the 70's and to a lesser extent 80's Spidey artists, but the newer breed like McFarlane, Bagley and Romita Jr. all take their cues from Ditko.

No joke, considerring the Ultimate Spidey is a rehash of old Lee/Ditko stories. 893blahblah.gif

And regardless of what the artists say, Ditko certainly got the ball rolling, but Romita's art gave the book a jazzier look and far more accessibility. Basically, this led to ASM being Marvel's best-seller and the Spidey being their bread-and-butter through the 70's and 80's.

Not taking anything away from Ditko in the least.

Ditko certainly got the ball rolling, but Romita's art gave the book a jazzier look and far more accessibility.

I certainly agree that Romita's art was far more 'accessible' to the masses as he gave Spidey a much more heroic look.

I personally feel that Ditko's art was much truer to the concept of the akward, everyman hero that Spider-Man was always meant to be.

I'm gonna stay with what I know

Gotcha. The GA is still included so here we go:

From EC: Well - the bullpen, Wood, Ingalls, Craig etc.

Colan - probably my all around favorite

Hollingsworth

Baker

Ayers

Schomburg

Palais

Just a few for starters

Well, most of my all-time faves have already been pointed out (N. Adams, Steranko, Romita Sr., Sienkiewicz, '70s/'80s Byrne, '70s BWS, to name a few). A few names that haven't been brought up yet include Jose Gonzalez and Gonzalo Mayo, who did some stunning work for Warren (primarily Vampirella) in the '70s, as well as Ross Andru (oh, if only JR JR could draw ASM half as well as he could...)

My favorite current artists are Greg Land (Sojourn), Jim Lee (Batman) and Alex Maleev (Daredevil).

Gene

John Byrne

George Perez

Carmine Infantino

Jim Balent

Jill Thompson

Sal Buscema

Todd McFarlane

Barry Kitson

Dale Keown

Jack Kirby

Mark Bagley

John Romita Jr.

Kevin Maguire

Gary Frank

Mike Deodato

All I could 893scratchchin-thumb.gif of right now in no particular order.

WAY too many names omitted on this list - howzabout Will Eisner? His work on the Spirit was revolutionary. Robert Crumb anyone? We did get a Wally Wood vote but he was a key influence on many artists. Moebius -- holy cow! His work in the 70's was the best by any artist at the time but not far behind Barry Windsor Smith. Harvey Kurtzman, like Eisner also changed the standard 9 panel format into something much bigger. I think we're all spoiled with the great art produced by some of the artists today but I honestly don't think there is anyone out there now who's not using some of these guys techniques and styles. 893blahblah.gif

Well, everybody hit on all my fav's, except one.....

Eduardo Risso (yes, another 100 Bullets plug!) His art sometimes borders on the, for lack of better term, grotesque (check out some of his corpse-ridden pages to see what I mean). He is incredibly precise w/ his art and an extreme perfectionist (ever seen him sketch at a con? He takes forever!). I have two pages from Bullets and every panel is so perfect - no white out, inks are all of the same consistency.

His style suits the story perfect (much like Maleev's fits DD perfectly).

Chris

Seems like a lot of collectors have overlooked Gil Kane b/c he was 1 of the pillars of the comic book industry for so many decades for both National/DC, Marvel & independents. Seems like he drew 1/2 of the 1974-75 cloud9.gif Marvel bronze covers.

WAY too many names omitted on this list - howzabout Will Eisner?

Reading Comprehension 101:

"I'm gonna stay with what I know when making my "Personal Favorites" list (Silver/Bronze/Modern) so no jabs for not including Simon or Eisner."