• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Favorite Comic Book Artists

82 posts in this topic

Yes, Risso is great. A worthy inheritor to Steranko's design and storytelling abilities.

Imagine if we had seen anything comparable from Steranko to what appears to be Risso's 100-issue run-in-the-making on Bullets! cloud9.gif

Arch, will we be getting new graemlins every day now? Cool! acclaim.gif <==arch

Z.

Edited by Zonker

Alex Maleev

Kent Williams

Bill Sienkiewicz

Bernie Wrightson

Oh, and I forgot David Mack. I really like his work, except when he's copying the "triangles everywhere" style of Muth, Williams, Sienkiewicz, and Storrey.

When he's doing his own thing, though, it's gorgeous.

And I can't remember the name of the cover artist for the best EC horror stuff--I know it, it's just not coming right now. Who was that?

And I can't remember the name of the cover artist for the best EC horror stuff--I know it, it's just not coming right now. Who was that?

Craig, Feldstein, Kamen, Davis, Williams?

893whatthe.gifA little light bulb just went off in my head as I just remembered one artist that I really enjoyed "back in the day"...David Wenzel....he didn't do all that much comic book work but what he did do I really enjoyed....so I guess he could be considered one of my favorites... wink.gif

In addition to those mentioned previously, are you perhaps thinking of 'Ghastly' insane.gif Graham Ingles?

The silverage and goldenage artists who contributed decades to the comic business are probably the real Top Ten candidates but since I did not grow up with them my favorites are (in alphabetical order)

Kaare Andrews

Frank Cho

John van Fleet

Alex Maleev

Joshua Middleton

Mike Mignola

Phil Noto

Jeff Smith

Bill Watterson

Skottie Young

Imagine if we had seen anything comparable from Steranko to what appears to be Risso's 100-issue run-in-the-making on Bullets!

Oh man! How great would that have been! (Awesome that you mentioned my all-time fav artist as well).

And for Hawk:

You must be talking about either Johnny Craig or Jack Davis! Their work for EC was just outstanding. Jack Davis drew some of the scariest covers and best maniacs ever.

Chris

Oh, and while I'm on the Bullets kick, "big-ups" shocked.gif to Dave Johnson's awesome covers. Always a treat! smile.gif Really adept at any style. His covers range from realistic to "pop" to abstract. An incredibly talented painter.

Chris

All eras:

1. CARL BARKS

Golden Age

1. Schomburg

2. Matt Baker

3. Jack Kamen

4. REED GRANDALL - way underrated , his pure artistic skills were better than any other GA artist, but lack of "classic covers" puts him down to a 4th spot.

Silver Age

1.John Romita

2 Jack Kirby with Joe Sinnot inks

Modern

1.Greg Land

2.Brian Bolland

Oh, and while I'm on the Bullets kick, "big-ups" shocked.gif to Dave Johnson's awesome covers. Always a treat! smile.gif Really adept at any style. His covers range from realistic to "pop" to abstract. An incredibly talented painter.

Chris

Did I tell you that Dave Johnson was at the local shop out here a couple weeks back? (Hell, was that just last week? He was here signing for "Red Son.") VERY nice guy. TOTALLY not what I expected him to be like. harharhar Very quiet, relatively subdued... in the store. I get the impression he might be a *little* different away from "work."

Although I enjoy the work of comic artists, I'm also a fan of horror/fantasy art; so here goes:

1) Kirby (not really known for horro/fantasty work -- except of course AF 15 laugh.gif -- but because I believe he really is in a league of his own)

2) Frank Frazetta

3) Richard Corben

4) Rowena Morrill

5) Tanino Liberatore

This is probably all re-hash by now but in no order...

1. Jack Kirby

2. Steve Ditko

3. Gil Kane

4. Neal Adams

5. Barry Windsor-Smith

6. Joe Kubert

7. Bernie Wrightson

8. Swan/Anderson

9. John Byrne

10. Carmine Infantino (Silver)

11. Travis Charest

12. Wally Wood

13. Jim Steranko

14. Al Williamson

15. Jim Starlin

16. George Perez

17. John Romita

18. John Romita Jr.

19. John Buscema

20. Jack Davis

21. Sergio Aragones

22. Art Adams

23. Walt Simonson

24. Jim Lee

25. Brian Bolland

26. Mike Grell

27. Alex Ross

28. Jim Aparo

29. Mike Ploog

30. Johnny Craig

31. Bryan Hitch

32. Michael Kaluta

33. Johnny Craig

34. Graham Ingles

35. Frank Brunner

Jack Kirby:

NeskmV6.jpg

Will Eisner:

lqgUq47.jpg

Neal Adams:

PhBjiUi.jpg

Carl Barks:

alCUWkC.jpg

Wally Wood:

1EUtWd6.jpg

Steve Ditko:

50flwxj.jpg

Bernard Krigstein:

viyLqFN.jpg

Lou Fine:

b26QqD9.jpg

Alex Toth:

DAAhkvX.jpg

Al Williamson:

AElJLjg.jpg

Gil Kane:

KWHMCSF.jpg

Joe Kubert:

hIgktRm.jpg

Barry Windsor-Smith:

oR0U8tx.jpg

John Romita Sr.:

vpqZ2EM.jpg

Jim Steranko:

AtiEZ3A.jpg

John Buscema:

rYUJXeK.jpg

Jack Cole:

CXWMXTb.jpg

Reed Crandall:

pbA29XK.jpg

Frank Miller:

xA3bfG2.jpg

Basil Wolverton:

M21PsnK.jpg

Gene Colan:

0sAAzNU.jpg

George Perez:

OcvJ5Pj.jpg

Dave Stevens:

y2dRgXD.jpg

Brian Bolland:

TUOncl4.jpg

Michael Kaluta:

fKwHP0J.jpg

Mike Mignola:

1NhmQfr.jpg

Curt Swan:

TZwfkl2.jpg

Graham Ingels:

24MGdTv.jpg

Bill Sienkiewicz:

6UC46Fd.jpg

P. Craig Russell:

xJYJytv.jpg

Arthur Adams:

dlUdQex.jpg

Syd Shores:

fOg8mX8.jpg

Paul Smith:

f184EcK.jpg

Walter Simonson:

Kw7uQyu.jpg

Edited by Electricmastro

This is a tough list to whittle down, and my appreciation for certain artists changes over time so as of this moment, here's my top ten:

1.  Al Williamson.  The man could do no wrong, and as much as he was a gifted penciller, he was an even better inker, taking everyone's art he ever inked to the next level.

2. Dale Keown.  My two favourite comics characters are Spidey and the Hulk, and Dale is, in my opinion, the best Hulk artist there ever was, is, and will be.

3. Todd McFarlane.  'nuff said!

4. Marshall Rogers.  Sorry Neal Adams fans, but Marshall's short run on Detective Comics solidified his status as the #1 Batman artist of all time in my eyes.

5. Frank Miller.  Most appreciate his work on Daredevil, and sure, I like his DD stuff, but I'm far more interested in his work on Ronin and Spiderman because they left a lasting impression on me.

6.  Will Eisner.  His contributions to the industry as a legitimate art form are far too great to list here.  Folks admire Kirby as the greatest thing in comics but he wasn't.  It all started with Will Eisner.

7. Paul Smith.  X-Men.  To me, better than the Byrne/Claremont run.  His artwork was so controlled, so gorgeous to look at.  Loved the way he illustrated all of the Xmen characters.  Also loved his work on Leave it to Chance, and the Golden Age.

8. John Romita Jr.  His work on the title with Roger Stern was, well, Amazing.  So many interesting characters, storylines, and fantastic art during this two-year period.  Not to mention his work on Punisher War Zone and Iron Man.  Loved the stuff!

9.  Steve Ditko was the 1st 'old time' artist whose work 'clicked' with me and has resonated ever since.  His spidey work was very interesting, although I have a preference for his Charlton Blue Beetle, and DC's Shade the Changing Man.

10. Chris Bachalo made my top 10 this year, probably because I re-read the Sandman and Death collections recently and was immediately drawn back to his work.  I also like his run on Shade, and X-Men.

williamson-flash.jpg

hulk-face-drawing-54.jpg

hulk340-d.jpg

Rogers joker.jpg

miller ronin.jpg

will-eisner-the-spirit.jpg

Paul Smith X-men.jpg

Amazing-Spider-Man-239-Front-Scan.jpg

ASMAnnual1_03.jpg

Bachalo Death_.jpg