• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What I Collect is Great, What You Collect is Garbage

60 posts in this topic

Silver Age....Pretty much all Marvel and Mostly DC....Garbage.

Golden Age....Pretty much All Timely, Mostly DC....and A Bit of Fawcett....Great.

Bronze Age....See silver age regarding Marvel...Mostly DC Garbage except Horror and Western are Great.

Silver Age....Pretty much all Marvel and Mostly DC....Garbage.

Golden Age....Pretty much All Timely, Mostly DC....and A Bit of Fawcett....Great.

Bronze Age....See silver age regarding Marvel...Mostly DC Garbage except Horror and Western are Great.

Action #1...Garbage

Amazing Fantasty #15...Great

tongue.gif

Sometimes I get the distinct feeling that everything you collect is great, interesting, expensive and wonderful to own. Then, when you try and sell it, it's worthless....nobody wants it. And where I get this from is dealing with dealers.....Ultra rare, hot..everybody wants this issue and common, cold hard to sell when you try and sell it.

Just kinda' wondering if anybody else gets that kinda' feeling. For example...

...I had a conversation a couple years ago with Joe....a local dealer. Now granted, this did take place about 12 years ago when he found out my collection consisted mostly late '70's and up Marvel. This was and for the most part is considered modern junk. He specifically told me he advised his customers to buy Silver Age. Then ( not remembering what he told me 12 years ago) I meet up with him again about 3 years ago. I now have a huge Silver Age collection I picked up from a really nice lady, and he tells me now....that Golden Age is the stuff I should have purchased.....Silver Age being extremely common and hard to sell. There's gotta' something wrong here......

...I had a conversation a couple years ago with Joe....a local dealer. Now granted, this did take place about 12 years ago when he found out my collection consisted mostly late '70's and up Marvel. This was and for the most part is considered modern junk. He specifically told me he advised his customers to buy Silver Age. Then ( not remembering what he told me 12 years ago) I meet up with him again about 3 years ago. I now have a huge Silver Age collection I picked up from a really nice lady, and he tells me now....that Golden Age is the stuff I should have purchased.....Silver Age being extremely common and hard to sell. There's gotta' something wrong here......

The basic premise behind a 'dealer'...

The stuff in my inventory that I am selling...Great.

The stuff in your collection that you are selling...Garbage.

makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

Sometimes I get the distinct feeling that everything you collect is great, interesting, expensive and wonderful to own. Then, when you try and sell it, it's worthless....nobody wants it. And where I get this from is dealing with dealers.....Ultra rare, hot..everybody wants this issue and common, cold hard to sell when you try and sell it.

Just kinda' wondering if anybody else gets that kinda' feeling. For example...

Nope. Nothing wrong at all.

I think Dealers have to raise their right hand and take an oath to always include two things in their interactions with other human beings: (A) to point out what you're lacking (a void somebody can fill with a sale).

And (B) inform you that what you do own is as common as table salt (it makes the void seem bigger).

As a collector you have to raise your right hand too. It's why God gave you a middle finger. insane.gif27_laughing.gif

I'll just say this: I collect what I like which some (like Timulty poke2.gif) would think is garbage. Even though I mainly collect BA and some SA books doesn't mean that I think anyone elses collection of other genres are garbage (unless they only collect books with organic waste stains on them or something).

Even in a larger text of say I collect comics and someone else collects beanie babies, I think I can appreciate others collections. Belly button lint , for example, might be pushing it though. 27_laughing.gif

Isn't there a saying that goes like this: One man's garbage is another man's treasure. I guess one could also then say: One man's treasure is another man's garbage.

Well, if BA Marvels are you're garbage please let me be your trashman smile.gif