• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA Article: "Where are These Bronze 9.8's" Part 1 of 3

88 posts in this topic

who knows the distribution setup in 1968 - 1975? Its conceivable DC and Marvel had different distributors at points in this period that would explain the absence of Early BA DCs. Just one explanation.

Or that no one bought them. 893scratchchin-thumb.gifpoke2.gif

I remember reading more then once that Marvel did not overtake DC in overall sales until 1972-73, here is part of an article from this web site:

http://www.fanzing.com/mag/fanzing51/feature2.shtml

The Power of Icons

by Frank Esposito

It happened in 1980. Or 1981 if you want to split hairs.

As the Reagan Era dawned in America, Marvel Comics' Big 3 of Spider-Man, the Hulk and Captain America had finally gotten the best of Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, the opposing Big 3 at rival DC Comics. For the first time, sales of the individual titles of each of Marvel's Big 3 topped those of DC's Big 3. In other words, sales of the worst of Marvel's Big 3 topped those of the best of DC's Big 3.

At that point, Cap's sales of 165,000 per month finally cruised past Supes at 148k. Supes had been in freefall for the entirety of the 1970s - losing about 2/3 of his sales volume - so it shouldn't have been much of a surprise. Spidey and Hulk were well above Cap, at 296k and 201k, respectively. Batman wasn't far off Supes at 129k, while Wonder Woman lagged the pack at 94k.

Some would say this was a trivial milestone, that even by the early 80s, actual comics sales weren't as important for these characters as the licensing and merchandising opportunities they brought in for their owners. Even so, a look at the total sales these six books were bringing in is a bit startling.

I. Triple Deckers Collide

One-on-one comparisons can be made from 1970-85. Marvel started publishing sales data in '70, while DC stopped doing so in '87. DC #s for their Big 3 are out there for '60 and '65. In '60, S/B/WW sent 1.525 million copies of their solo books flying off spinner racks every month. By '65, that number had dropped a hair to 1.485 million. Comics still cost 12 cents and were a fixture in the media lives of most 8-to-15-year-olds across the country. You could find them in drug stores, grocery stores, convenience stores and, of course, at newsstands.

But the worm turned quickly. Numbers for 1970 - for all six books now, not just the DC offerings - were 1.667 million. DC's share of that had dipped to 898k, and Marvel was charging hard at 769k. Clearly, the two firms were fighting for pieces of a much smaller pie.

By '75, Marvel had the lead for good - 649k to 600k - in a Top 6 market that topped out at 1.249 million per month. '80 and '85 were bleaker yet for DC - and for the market as a whole.

1980 : Marvel Big 3 - 662k, DC Big 3 - 371 k. Total Big 6 market - 1.033 million.

1985 : Marvel Big 3 - 668k, DC Big 3 - 225k. Total Big 6 market - 893k.

of course, these titles, with the possible exception of Spidey and Superman, were not necessarily Marvel's or DC's most popular during these periods. X-Men and Teen Titans must have surpassed some of them, as well as some other titles, most likely (perhaps FF during the peak of the Byrne run?)

Hey Bruce,

Just read part 2 in the GPA newsletter. Great list of books and info.

I was bummed to see my 1974 Ka-Zar #1 9.8 to get more company though devil.gif it went from 2 to 4 since I last checked.

Just a note on the Marvel Presents...you have it down for (1) 9.8, but there are three. Matt nelson recently sold a 9.8 ow/w I believe. I have the other two, both white pagers.

I have one for your under the radar catagory..(0) 9.8 Man From Atlantis #1. grin.gif

Look forward to part 3!

John

Those haven't hit the census yet though. I thought I checked. Since you have (2) we should work a trade next time we get a deal brewing.

I knew you were going to bring up the Man form Atlantis. Isn't RJ working on that for you poke2.gif

I also listed 2 Marvel Features twice and confused Master of Kung Fu Annual with Giant Sized MOKF. Its the MOKF Ann #1 which is the only MOKF and iron Fist team up in comics.

Actually they are in the census now. I had double checked before posting earlier.

Certainly would be willing to involve my extra in a trade/deal. Still looking for Invaders #1 grin.gif

Ya, good ol RJ. 27_laughing.gif Although he wanted $300 for a "special order' 9.8 MFA #1, he later tried to convince me to go with the 9.6 he already had as getting the 9.8 would be impossible due to production flaws with the run. 27_laughing.gif..maybe flaws with his issues, but he always makes it sound like if his are affected, then the entire print run is. Anyway, I declined.