• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GPA Article: "Where are These Bronze 9.8's" Part 1 of 3

88 posts in this topic

For those of you not receiving the GPA Newsletter, I suggest you sign up.

Not only will you find information and commentary on subjects no one else (can or will touch) in the US for political and/or legal reasons, but there are some interesting articles contained within also… 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I hope.

Since this article is... 1 of 3 parts, and this installment deals with titles... A thru I , I'd really appreciate if everyone's comments (should this article generate any) could be limited to titles in this range. Next month, we'll move on to the middle thumbsup2.gif

If enough people feel i've neglected to mention a decent number of Bronze issues in suprisingly low 9.8 supply, I'm thinking of doing a fourth installment with that information.

No, problem. It is the only Bronze Age Key, that I actually want now. I believe the reasons that you have stated(Black Cover apply here) are right on the money but it seems to me the every copy of HOS 92 that I have seen has cover paper quality lower than other issues of HOS. Also, there seem to be cut issues with the DC's of that time period, that might keep them out of the lofty 9.8 area.

There's a whole bunch from the early Bronze Age (don't know if you want to include these, but perhaps you do since you list Cap #117, which predates all of these), including:

Amazing Spiderman #104 - zero copies in 9.8

Avengers #93 - zero copies in 9.8

Avengers #94 - one copy in 9.8

Avengers #95 - zero copies in 9.8

Avengers #103 - zero

Avengers #104 - one

Conan #14 - zero copies in 9.8

Conan #18 - one copy in 9.8

FF #117 - zero

FF #122 - zero

FF #119 - one

FF #120 - one

FF #123 - one

Thor #s 193-198 - zero

Thor #201- zero

Thor #203 - one

I have been beating this very drum for several years now. I would like to point out that an additional overlooked reason was the lack of conservation of so-called "filler" issues. So many were destroyed and mutilated in 25-cent boxes at LCS and conventions that few nice editions survive.

My personal expertise is in the silver/bronze Captain Marvel series. 368 copies of issue #1 hit CGC with a whopping 32% scoring 9.4 or better. Why anyone would pay $1200.00 for a 9.8 #1 when they are so common completely baffles me.

Compare this with #15. 10 Graded, only 1 9.4 and 1 9.6. The best one I have managed to get my hands on is a 9.0. With few exceptions the whole run looks like this, extremely few 9.8-9.6 available. I always get told these are not rare issues, and that there are warehouses out there full of them waiting to be slabbed, and yet year after year they just don't appear. I am pretty certain where they all went... into 25-cent bins.

It is my opinion that high grade copies of "common" issues just the opposite: Uncommon.

I always get told these are not rare issues, and that there are warehouses out there full of them waiting to be slabbed, and yet year after year they just don't appear.

Why in the world would you think they would appear? screwy.gif

After all, it's not like you're going to get a record-breaking price for the stack of NM or better copies, most of which would come back CGC 9.2-9.6, in order to get that 9.8.

If a comic is worth big bucks in CGC 9.4 (like HOS 92) and does not have a CGC 9.8 (and only few 9.6's) then that's the only way you could ever *attempt* to say it's rare in CGC-determined HG.

Otherwise, it's just collectors and dealers being smart, and not throwing money away submitting low-value, low-demand comics to CGC.

In fact, just for refernce, the following issues of Captain Marvel do NOT have a known slabbed 9.8 according to the CGC census:

4,6,9,10,11,12,13,15,16,18,19,21,22,24,26,28,36,37,41,44,48,49,53,54,55,56,58,59,61,62.

Oddly enough, that comes to exactly 50% of the print run without a known 9.8.

Call the police!! Captain Marvel is ultra-rare in HG!!!

It can't be because the majority of the run is worth peanuts and only a fool would send them to CGC.. 27_laughing.gif

How is it then that I can obtain 9.8s of issues like Shogun Warriors #10, Eternals #15, Godzilla # 21, Human Fly # 17, Tarzan # 24, and Spider-Woman #31? I have all these and more in 9.8 slabs. Thank goodness there are some "fools" who submit these books for collectors like me to obtain.

How is it then that I can obtain 9.8s of issues like Shogun Warriors #10, Eternals #15, Godzilla # 21, Human Fly # 17, Tarzan # 24, and Spider-Woman #31? I have all these and more in 9.8 slabs. Thank goodness there are some "fools" who submit these books for collectors like me to obtain.

Exactly.

The only people who would ever submit those books are:

1) Hardcore collectors who want a run in X grade.

2) A collector or dealer sending in a "sealed bag" of comics with one or two keys, and the Shogun Warriors/Godzilla/Tarzan comic comes along for the ride.

What other reasons can you give? It can't possibly be for "resale value" as I doubt you could even sell/give away these comics in CGC 9.4-9.6.

Exactly.

The only people who would ever submit those books are:

1) Hardcore collectors who want a run in X grade.

2) A collector or dealer sending in a "sealed bag" of comics with one or two keys, and the Shogun Warriors/Godzilla/Tarzan comic comes along for the ride.

What other reasons can you give? It can't possibly be for "resale value" as I doubt you could even sell/give away these comics in CGC 9.4-9.6.

Perhaps they acquire a large group of nice BA comics, then selectivley pick out issues they think will come out 9.6 or above, then submit them for a CGC 9.6 pre-screen. I've bought all of mine already slabbed from dealers such as Pedigreecomics.com, MHC, WAC, CL and several other random sellers. The fact that they will submit these non-key BA books is why I don't agree with your stance that they wouldn't submit their "stacks" of NM books like Champions #1 for grading due to them not being valuable enough to submit.

Peanuts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEDW:IT

I guess for some people if it does not have 4 digits in the dollar column its just peanuts. This instance is not unusual nor atypical for 9.8 bronze issues that are non-key common issues. The collectors are out there looking hard for this stuff. If you have the fat stacks in the warehouse and don't want to deliver them, then thats fine, but eventually, if you don't, someone else will. And they will get the $$$.

Incidentally, you may notice, I was second best bid on this one. Still more than happy to dump $140 for another 9.8, should another ever surface.

Yes, and as far as I am concerned, endetectable pressing is no different that the pressing that occurs to a comic sitting in a stack of comics for 35 years in an attic.

I had a nice fantastic four 93 with a corner ding I "pressed" out by setting an encyclopedia on it for a few months. Am I a criminal?

There is no way to tell if it was pressed or not, so as far as I am concerned the point is moot.