• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TIME TRAVEL

176 posts in this topic

Time travel. It been the subject in many comics as well as in the movies. One of H.G. Wells most famous stories as well. Possible to travel back and forth throught time? Well lets see. Some of the time machines dispicted in movies show some promise. Provided they have thier own source of power. Kind of sucks when you go back in time and find out you don't have any gas or electric to run your time machine.

Reversing the rotation of the Earth. No way can that work. Time is everywhere, not just on Earth.

Moving at super fast speed. You would probably burn up once you break the speed of light. Even if you somehow didn't burn up, you would have traveled so many miles away from your starting point. Unless the treadmill idea like FLASH would use could really hold up. Then maybe possible.

Hypnotic time travel. In some of those time travel stories in BATMAN, a Prof. Carter Nichols would hypnotize Bruce and , and they would end up back in time for some adventure. The movie SOMEWHERE IN TIME is kind of in this fashion of time travel. Well hypnotizing works somewhat. I've read were people really believe they were back in time during hypnosis. But the actual persons body doesn't go anywhere. Just the persons mind. Its all in thier head. screwy.gif

Zooming around the SUN. I don't think so.

A freak storm. Ok so your outside on a whatever. Lets say a aircraft carrier. And the ship is hit by lightening. Now your either dead or badly burned. Because, even though lightening is so powerful, its still not powerful enough to cause a time travel vortex. There are many lightening strikes every year. So far nobody has reported being time traveled do to a storm.

Any more? I'm sure there are. I actually like time travel stories of all kinds. So is time travel possible or not? Lets hear what you think about any of the above listed or other that I didn't mention.

Time travel. It been the subject in many comics as well as in the movies. One of H.G. Wells most famous stories as well. Possible to travel back and forth throught time? Well lets see. Some of the time machines dispicted in movies show some promise. Provided they have thier own source of power. Kind of sucks when you go back in time and find out you don't have any gas or electric to run your time machine.

Reversing the rotation of the Earth. No way can that work. Time is everywhere, not just on Earth.

Moving at super fast speed. You would probably burn up once you break the speed of light. Even if you somehow didn't burn up, you would have traveled so many miles away from your starting point. Unless the treadmill idea like FLASH would use could really hold up. Then maybe possible.

Hypnotic time travel. In some of those time travel stories in BATMAN, a Prof. Carter Nichols would hypnotize Bruce and , and they would end up back in time for some adventure. The movie SOMEWHERE IN TIME is kind of in this fashion of time travel. Well hypnotizing works somewhat. I've read were people really believe they were back in time during hypnosis. But the actual persons body doesn't go anywhere. Just the persons mind. Its all in thier head. screwy.gif

Zooming around the SUN. I don't think so.

A freak storm. Ok so your outside on a whatever. Lets say a aircraft carrier. And the ship is hit by lightening. Now your either dead or badly burned. Because, even though lightening is so powerful, its still not powerful enough to cause a time travel vortex. There are many lightening strikes every year. So far nobody has reported being time traveled do to a storm.

Any more? I'm sure there are. I actually like time travel stories of all kinds. So is time travel possible or not? Lets hear what you think about any of the above listed or other that I didn't mention.

A few months back someone sold a time machine on ebay for $565.00 so it must be legit insane.gif

I dont think time travel is possible due to conservation of matter. If it is tru that there is a finite amount of matter in the universe, "you" could never reappear in another time era simply because all the matter that is "you" today will have been (or will be) already in use as some other person or object. Most time travel stories have the persons entire body reappearing and interacting in the target era. Cant do it.

Here is one to wrap your head around. I first came upon this neat little paradox while reading "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku. THE BEST book on theoretical physics out there, and I have read most of the popular ones. A must-read. Anyway, here it is...

“Jane” is left at an orphanage as a foundling. When “Jane” is a teenager, she falls in love with a drifter, who abandons her but leaves her pregnant. Then disaster strikes. She almost dies giving birth to a baby girl, who is then mysteriously kidnapped. The doctors find that Jane is bleeding badly, but, oddly enough, has both sex organs. So, to save her life, the doctors convert “Jane” to “Jim.”

“Jim” subsequently becomes a roaring drunk, until he meets a friendly bartender (actually a time traveler in disguise) who wisks “Jim” back way into the past. “Jim” meets a beautiful teenage girl, accidentally gets her pregnant with a baby girl. Out of guilt, he kidnaps the baby girl and drops her off at the orphanage. Later, “Jim” joins the time travelers corps, leads a distinguished life, and has one last dream: to disguise himself as a bartender to meet a certain drunk named “Jim” in the past. Question: who is “Jane's” mother, father, brother, sister, grand- father, grandmother, and grandchild?

stephen hawking pretty much dismissed it in a quote he made.

he said if time travel existed, we'd be inundated with time travel "tourists" from the future.

consider - if the first time travel machine was made in the year 3099, wouldn't the technology eventually become widespread as manufacturing of the timetravel technology became more sophisticated? at some point beyond 3099, building a time machine might become as simple as building a digital watch. soon, maybe time machines could eventually be bought at dollar stores. time travel machines would become so commonplace that essentially, everyone could have one, and then wouldn't all these people come back and visit us in 2006 to have a look around?

stephen hawking pretty much dismissed it in a quote he made.

he said if time travel existed, we'd be inundated with time travel "tourists" from the future.

consider - if the first time travel machine was made in the year 3099, wouldn't the technology eventually become widespread as manufacturing of the timetravel technology became more sophisticated? at some point beyond 3099, building a time machine might become as simple as building a digital watch. soon, maybe time machines could eventually be bought at dollar stores. time travel machines would become so commonplace that essentially, everyone could have one, and then wouldn't all these people come back and visit us in 2006 to have a look around?

Mr. Hawking presumes much. Too much, methinks. (Granted, I also think that he and his ideas may be a bit misrepresented here...)

Here is one to wrap your head around. I first came upon this neat little paradox while reading "Hyperspace" by Michio Kaku. THE BEST book on theoretical physics out there, and I have read most of the popular ones. A must-read. Anyway, here it is...

“Jane” is left at an orphanage as a foundling. When “Jane” is a teenager, she falls in love with a drifter, who abandons her but leaves her pregnant. Then disaster strikes. She almost dies giving birth to a baby girl, who is then mysteriously kidnapped. The doctors find that Jane is bleeding badly, but, oddly enough, has both sex organs. So, to save her life, the doctors convert “Jane” to “Jim.”

“Jim” subsequently becomes a roaring drunk, until he meets a friendly bartender (actually a time traveler in disguise) who wisks “Jim” back way into the past. “Jim” meets a beautiful teenage girl, accidentally gets her pregnant with a baby girl. Out of guilt, he kidnaps the baby girl and drops her off at the orphanage. Later, “Jim” joins the time travelers corps, leads a distinguished life, and has one last dream: to disguise himself as a bartender to meet a certain drunk named “Jim” in the past. Question: who is “Jane's” mother, father, brother, sister, grand- father, grandmother, and grandchild?

You lost me at "wrap your head around"... makepoint.gif

hawkings made some comment that i paraphrased above.

the paragraph where i explain the scenario (e.g. digital watches) is my take on his explanation.

I'm aware. Thus, my response to your original comment.

think about the development of the computer (starting from it's inception in the early 1940s etc. as essentially a building-sized four-function calculator) and this idea of mass-producing time-machines isn't so far-fetched.

I've thought this was interesting: when we see a star die, which is 2000 light years away, we're actually seeing something that happened 2000 years ago.

So could we see back in time, if we could travel faster than light? If we could travel 2000 light years away, and have a telescope powerful enough to see earth, we could see Jesus walking on the earth, right?

You lost me at "wrap your head around"... makepoint.gif

The point of the paragraph is that the mother, father, child, and time traveller are all the same person. Then there is the question of where the person came from in the first place! 893whatthe.gif

I've thought this was interesting: when we see a star die, which is 2000 light years away, we're actually seeing something that happened 2000 years ago.

So could we see back in time, if we could travel faster than light? If we could travel 2000 light years away, and have a telescope powerful enough to see earth, we could see Jesus walking on the earth, right?

Yep, but relativity doesn't allow travel faster than the speed of light. At that point all of the mass in our bodies would be converted to pure energy. Supposedly nothing can go above lightspeed, but I did hear of something called "action at a distance" involving crystal resonance. I will see if I can find the article...

Yep, but relativity doesn't allow travel faster than the speed of light. At that point all of the mass in our bodies would be converted to pure energy. Supposedly nothing can go above lightspeed, but I did hear of something called "action at a distance" involving crystal resonance. I will see if I can find the article...

I can't find the CNN article, but here is site that explains the basics. Skip forward to Appedix I to avoid all the boring science. tongue.gif

http://www.ncsu.edu/felder-public/kenny/papers/bell.html