• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TOP 10 Worst Things To Happen In The History Of Comics

176 posts in this topic

for me it would be the shift towards selling comics in "comics shops" exclusively through the direct market, they have all but stopped selling comics in your local store and places other than LCS.

I'm sure many of us here bought most of our books (when we were kids that is), either at a convenient store or pharmacy,

I think this is a big reason that new comics sales are dwindling, kids 7-15 can't drive X amount of miles to get to their LCS for books, and they can't buy them at their local quick mart either, like I use to do..

when I was 8 (I think), and I used to stay at my grandmother's house, there was a little store right across the street from her house that I would buy my comics from, that's were I started my comics buying in fact.. if that store hadn't sold comics at the time, I might not be typing in this forum right now..

for me it would be the shift towards selling comics in "comics shops" exclusively through the direct market, they have all but stopped selling comics in your local store and places other than LCS.

I'm sure many of us here bought most of our books (when we were kids that is), either at a convenient store or pharmacy,

I think this is a big reason that new comics sales are dwindling, kids 7-15 can't drive X amount of miles to get to their LCS for books, and they can't buy them at their local quick mart either, like I use to do..

when I was 8 (I think), and I used to stay at my grandmother's house, there was a little store right across the street from her house that I would buy my comics from, that's were I started my comics buying in fact.. if that store hadn't sold comics at the time, I might not be typing in this forum right now..

Totally agree. When I got back into collecting two years ago (after 20+ years of being out of the loop), I decided to go pick up a couple of new books to see what was going on with current storylines. Imagine my confusion when I drove to all the usual places I bought comics as a kid (drugstore, grocery store, book store) and found NOTHING! Finally I went to the LCS and was shocked when I learned that comic shops were just about the only place you could buy a new comic nowadays. The guy who told me seemed a little weird and I wasn't sure I believed him, so I continued searching just for the hell of it but only found some sporadic racks still existing in a few bookstores (no spinner racks of course, wooden shelves tongue.gif).

Now I know the old distribution method was very inefficient and that cable TV and video games are the real enemies of comic reader growth...but it was still a very strange and somewhat disheartening revelation for me to discover how much things had changed...