• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Government War Bond covers

37 posts in this topic

I'm curious about the War Bond covers from the 40's. I've always thought they were cool. There have to be others out there but I can't think of any offhand. Also I prefer the kind that actually show the bond but the books that distinctly promote selling (by the main character) are good too.

Walt Disney C&S 46 mabye 20 too.

Looney Tunes 33 ebay link below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A%3AIT&rd=1

wdcs46.jpg

As I look and search I notice that books like Batman 17 (Eagle cover) have Batman saying "buy war bonds" Thats not really what I am looking for, more the covers that have a real or cartoon bond being held by the character or shown promenently on the cover.

This ones pretty close. I need to find out the difference between a war bond and war stamp. Master 52 and Whiz 56 same date too.

I believe that War Stamps were available in smaller denominations (as low as 10 cents) than the bonds. They were then saved in booklets until there were enough to equal the value of a bond (kinda like Green Stamps if you're old enough to remember those smile.gif)

And lets not forget the most famous bond cover of all. This doesn't fall into the July 1944 or July 1943 camp. Batman 15 seems to be the earliest reference to a war bond campaign I could find.

wdcs31.jpg

One book that I don't think has been mentioned is Don Winslow # 17 from July 1944 which is my favorite War Stamp issue from Fawcett. Couldn't find a scan but it's in the Gerber. War Stamps for Victory is also mentioned on the cover of # 6 (August 1943) and while it is not played up à la Batman issues, it is a nice flag cover. Then later on the 7th War Bond campaign shows up on # 27 for the July 1945 issue. Hope this is the kind of info that you're looking for.

Batman 15 seems to be the earliest reference to a war bond campaign I could find.

Supes #18 pre-dates Batman #15 by about 6 months. World's Finest #8, which shows Superman, Batman & Robin actually selling war bonds on the cover, would've hit the stands just after Superman #18.

superman18.jpg

Nedors started even earlier. The following image appeared on all June '42 covers...

fordefense.jpg

A month later, in July of '42, the "Buy War Bonds and Stamps for Victory" banner would appear, and would be a part of most Nedor covers for the duration of the war. Here it is on Thrilling #40, but it first appeared in this title on issue #28...

thrilling40.jpg

An interesting aside...many Nedor issues have propoganda in the bottom margin of every page. For example, Exciting Comics #35 has the following slogans, and many more, on literally every page of the book:

"A soldier gives all - are you buying all the war stamps you can?"

"Save your fats, waste paper and old rubber for the war effort!"

"Be an American - buy war stamps and bonds!"

"Save your waste paper - help win the war!"

"Smash Hitler and Hirohito - buy all the war stamps you can!"