• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your thoughts on a bonus for completion?

61 posts in this topic

Dude, cut me some slack. I was going to go in a long diatribe here but let's just say I have a case of "Foot in Mouth" disease and leave it be, please? Dena, if I hurt your feelings in anyway, I apologize. I know, all too well, how judgements based on appearance tend to be shallow and vain. sorry.gif

Are you sure it's "foot in mouth" disease or "head in arse" disease. Sometimes they can both have similar symptoms and one can misdiagnose themselves. You should really seek a second professional opinion.

893scratchchin-thumb.gifgrin.gif

So, does it look like no one really cares about the bonus for completion then? I guess, I can understand. My thinking on it is that those people, who have say part of their collection in high grade, would be on footing with those with complete lower grade sets. It would probably be wash out though. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Ya, the more I think about it, the more I'm not for it. Put it this way: There are already points assigned for books, so the person with a complete set is already compensated for what they have put together. If someone else has a higher point value with less books, it's fair because their books are undoubtedly higher grade. If a bonus was given for the person with the complete set, it would throw this balance off and skew the perception between the two collections.

Lets face it,by creating a registry and adding a point value to it, it's all about saying "My collection is better than yours". Should the guy that has 70% of a collection in 9.6/9.8 complete it by adding 8.5 and 9.0 copies, just to keep their point values ahead of the guy with a complete 8.5/9.0 set? I say just let the current points fall as they may.

How about different scores for White Pages, OFF-White/WHite, OFF-WHite and so on. Example a 9.8 grade gives 50 for white 45 for offwhite/white and so on.

Or give bonus points for White Pages, let's say 5 points, 3 for OW/W and 1 for OW - 0 Cream to offwhite and -1 for tan books.

Also, how about bonuses for owning a pedigree comic!!

How about different scores for White Pages, OFF-White/WHite, OFF-WHite and so on. Example a 9.8 grade gives 50 for white 45 for offwhite/white and so on.

Or give bonus points for White Pages, let's say 5 points, 3 for OW/W and 1 for OW - 0 Cream to offwhite and -1 for tan books.

You could be onto something here. I do think if you had two people with apparently identical graded collections that the with the better page quality should have higher points than the one with lower page quality. I kind of wish that info was right there next to the grades in the registry.

As for Pedigree points...I don't know, I own some Pedigree copies, but not real sure those 9.8 white pagers are worth anymore than my non-pedigreed 9.8 white pagers. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is an excellent idea as far as page quality.

I dont think Pedigreed books should add more points. They dont deserve more points just because they are pedigreed.

Please no bonus for completion, even though I'm all for a completion the registry keeps moving the yard stick on a few runs...Swamp thing comes to mind.

Plus a completion bonus reflects nothing on the books contained within the run, it's arbitrary to the run itself. So not a good addtition.

But most definitely a page quality quotant added in would be nice, but points in the scale of above, but as a percentage...so you don't JUST get 10 extra points for your white page 9.6 FF#1, etc, etc.

And yes for peds. Ped's represent a certain collectability that is limitedv in availability, and for which a premium is paid. But I would keep the ped bonus to a minimum, say max 10% bonus for a ped copy.

how about a coupon for one free Standard submission when you complete a set?

now that would be a bonus

Good idea Sal!

Ditto.

Oooh, oooh how about a veriable bonus scale on various peds, that would really put the cat amongst the pigeon's!

Think we'd see the real color of a few people if various peds were ranked! Admittedly CGC should be able to a relatively quick tally of what peds average what grade, for what page qual.

Oh, and just to complete my posts set on the bonus for completion thread...when are you geeza's going to add a bronze age All star Western run to the registry, aye!!

...be your best friend when you do!

Dena,

I don't think that a scoring bous is appropriate for completion. Ithink that if you guys offered some kind of electronic coupon for submitting sets, or completing sets, that would be great.

I do feel strongly that page quality should count for scoring.

It seems a little small, if you are talking about $500,000 worth of books or more.

It seems a little small, if you are talking about $500,000 worth of books or more.

Yes I agree. I think you should set it up on a scale. Certain sets generate more coupons. If I complete Batman 1-300 and you do decide to award something(which i think is a great idea and a very nice thing to do) I think I would deserve more than 1 coupon. How about 2? The Coupon idea is an excellent idea! Perfect! I also agree that white pages should be awarded more points. For one good reason. White pages always cost me more than the cream or off white so i should get more points.

Thanks