• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age Keys

104 posts in this topic

Hmm.... I kind of wonder if ASM345 - 1st Cletus Kasady & ASM361 - 1st Carnage aren't more of early modern issues? I kind of considered the Copper Age to run from around 80/81 - 90. Am I off here?

In any event, I would submit Web of Spider-Man #1 to the list for consideration considering the amount of material used from it in the 3rd Spider-Man movie. While I'm not a big fan of the rest of the title as a whole, this WAS a pretty good issue to read and the cover is one of the better ones from the 80s.

Newbie here, I've been lurking for about five years and thought I'd join the fun. I've been searching the threads trying to find out when the Copper Age officially begins. For years and years it was my understanding that the Bronze Age ended with the '70's. It seems to me that Bronze Age fans are trying to gerrymander the ages so that classic storylines from the early '80's are now absorbed into the Bronze Age. Some of these storys which I always considered Modern (Copper) keys are: The Dark Phoenix Saga, the Wolverine Mini-series, the Death of Elektra Saga, and the Days of Future Past. Any thoughts?

Hmm.... I kind of wonder if ASM345 - 1st Cletus Kasady & ASM361 - 1st Carnage aren't more of early modern issues? I kind of considered the Copper Age to run from around 80/81 - 90. Am I off here?

Not necessarily. I think that it is different for each title as to when the Bronze Age ends and the Copper ages begins. So, I think it is difficult to say that on such and such year the Bronze Age ended and the Copper Age began or the Copper Age ended and the Modern Age began. (shrug)

Not necessarily. I think that it is different for each title as to when the Bronze Age ends and the Copper ages begins. So, I think it is difficult to say that on such and such year the Bronze Age ended and the Copper Age began or the Copper Age ended and the Modern Age began. (shrug)

You know, it's funny becuse I find I tend to look at Knightfall / Death of Superman as the turning point where the Copper ends and the Modern begins for DC. For Marvel, however, I found the beginning of the Modern era to be right when all the artists left to form Image.

I DO believe that trying to nail down a specfic start and finish between these two era is more problematic than the others. Then again, that might be due to the fact the others have been around longer, and therefore, there has been more time to analyze them?

In my opinion the Copper Age is quite a small 2-3 year period of time when books were high quality (Watchmen) but not self-consciously so (The Killing Joke).

So essentially 1984 to 1988.

Bronze for me runs naturally to 1984/85 so the Copper age began with Crisis no.1 at DC, Secret Wars no.1... and Miracleman no.1 for the indie's. Simple as that.

Comics then began to feel the strain of their own expectation and all that coolness / adult / painted art nonsense began - with the obviously exception of Sandman.

I've recently re-read Watchmen & Sandman and they are really so, so much better than anything else.

But the period 1989 to 1999 has so much rubbish in it - I mean just awful... the term "90s drek" is an appropriate one. I bought a collection recently that had tons of 92-93 stuff - jesus - what was Marvel thinking... Some of the indies - make Mr Golden 's recent work look amazing...

I adore the Late 80's through 90's period. Highlights for me include the following, and that's just scratching the surface...

Bone

Hellblazer

Understanding Comics

Shade the changing Man

Resurrection Man

Sandman

Sandman Mystery Theatre

Astro City

Strangers in Paradise

Sin City

Jurgens Flash Gordon

Alan Moore Supreme

Rupert Bear Annuals

Marvels

Anima

Strangehaven

Untold Tales of Spider-Man

Stuck Rubber Baby

Starman

Invisibles

Animal Man

Morrison Doom Patrol

Preacher

In my opinion the Copper Age is quite a small 2-3 year period of time when books were high quality (Watchmen) but not self-consciously so (The Killing Joke).

So essentially 1984 to 1988.

Bronze for me runs naturally to 1984/85 so the Copper age began with Crisis no.1 at DC, Secret Wars no.1... and Miracleman no.1 for the indie's. Simple as that.

Comics then began to feel the strain of their own expectation and all that coolness / adult / painted art nonsense began - with the obviously exception of Sandman.

I've recently re-read Watchmen & Sandman and they are really so, so much better than anything else.

But the period 1989 to 1999 has so much rubbish in it - I mean just awful... the term "90s drek" is an appropriate one. I bought a collection recently that had tons of 92-93 stuff - jesus - what was Marvel thinking... Some of the indies - make Mr Golden 's recent work look amazing...

The will always vastly outweigh the quality in every age. Fortunately, no one else defines these ages by their drek.

Copper Age Keys, people. Focus! :makepoint:

To be fair, we need to know what the Copper Age is before we define the keys, though I think everyone has a general idea. I like Mac Man's ending but I can't think of a viable beginning. If there were a definite beginning wouldn't it make more sense for it to be something(s) that occurred over several titles (even publishers) like Mac Man's end?

With Mac Man's ending in mind:

Superman #75

Batman #497

Vengeance of Bane #1 (Doomsday was more a throwaway than his Batman equivalent, but then again I don't currently read the Bat-titles so don't know if he's seen as a major villain in the rogue gallery)

Spawn #1

Newbie here, I've been lurking for about five years and thought I'd join the fun. I've been searching the threads trying to find out when the Copper Age officially begins. For years and years it was my understanding that the Bronze Age ended with the '70's. It seems to me that Bronze Age fans are trying to gerrymander the ages so that classic storylines from the early '80's are now absorbed into the Bronze Age. Some of these storys which I always considered Modern (Copper) keys are: The Dark Phoenix Saga, the Wolverine Mini-series, the Death of Elektra Saga, and the Days of Future Past. Any thoughts?

Welcome to the boards Tallman !!!!!! :grin:

Copper Age Keys, people. Focus! :makepoint:

To be fair, we need to know what the Copper Age is before we define the keys, though I think everyone has a general idea. I like Mac Man's ending but I can't think of a viable beginning. If there were a definite beginning wouldn't it make more sense for it to be something(s) that occurred over several titles (even publishers) like Mac Man's end?

With Mac Man's ending in mind:

Superman #75

Batman #497

Vengeance of Bane #1 (Doomsday was more a throwaway than his Batman equivalent, but then again I don't currently read the Bat-titles so don't know if he's seen as a major villain in the rogue gallery)

Spawn #1

Here are the two ways I rationalize the copper age.

Option #1

Copper age 1984 to 1992. (Rise & Fall of the Independents)

Beginning - Gobbledygook #1/TMNT #1 (Beginning of Independent comic book craze)

Ending - Spawn #1/Youngblood #1 (Ending of Independent comic book craze)

Mirage started the craze and Image comics ended it.

Option #2

Copper age 1982 to1992 (Rise & Fall of Superheros)

Beginning - Wolverine Limited Series

Ending - "Death" of Superman

Between 1982 to 1992 thier was an emergence of significant characters or superheros introduced into the Marvel and DC Universe. However, there was alot of turmoil and "Death" of old superheros by both publishers. (ie Spiderman/Venon, Batman/Bane, Superman/Doomsday, etc...)

Feel free to debate any of my opinions!!

Between 1982 to 1992 thier was an emergence of significant characters or superheros introduced into the Marvel and DC Universe.

I count a couple of new villains, but virtually no SIGNIFICANT superheroes.