• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comic books make me happy...

67 posts in this topic

That window looks just big enough to pass your books out of, in case of an "emergency". 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Nah, you'd have to rip out the small screen!

Anyway, the wall that's facing the laundry room will have a nice 32" LCD Hi-Def TV on an articulating wall mount. I'm buying the TV in two weeks, so I'd say it'll completely be done in about a month or so.

On an electronics note, I have every room in my house wired with coax, cat5e, and phone. I put quite a few outlets in the basement just out of frustration of having only one or two down there all this time.

How's this for a wiring mess? (See bottom right)

1122352-DCP_0751.JPG

1122352-DCP_0751.JPG.b8a13b72c71dcfee8d642f1bae1cac90.JPG

most online photo processing stores now offer over-sized prints. I have an 16x20 signed photo that I scanned (in 4 parts and stitched together) and uploaded to Yahoo Photos. I made an 16x20 print for $14.99 and it looks great hanging in my office. I picked up a frame from Michaels... I think all together it cost me around $30 - $35.

Can you see where you stitched it together? Can you upload a pic? Might be the way to go!

This is a much reduced image of the 16 x 20 I stitched together. You really can't see the seams. The resolution of the print is so good, that in a frame, no one has ever noticed it was not the original. (I really didn't want to risk leaving the original hanging in my office. wink.gif)

96Yankees.jpg

I'm buying the TV in two weeks, so I'd say it'll completely be done in about a month or so.

HA!!!....Who are you kiddin?.. this will be one of those "ongoing" projects if I ever saw one.Teaking a wall hanging here, moving a cabinet there. At least it is a labor of love cloud9.gif

Glad to see you planned ahead for the wiring. I would ask about it, but we dont need to go into home audio wiring in your feel good comic fortress thread.

Ze-

I'm buying the TV in two weeks, so I'd say it'll completely be done in about a month or so.

HA!!!....Who are you kiddin?.. this will be one of those "ongoing" projects if I ever saw one.Teaking a wall hanging here, moving a cabinet there. At least it is a labor of love cloud9.gif

Glad to see you planned ahead for the wiring. I would ask about it, but we dont need to go into home audio wiring in your feel good comic fortress thread.

Ze-

I actually laughed out loud when I read this. You're exactly right - it'll never be finished completely! I'm making strides though! Hell, it's only been 2 years so far. At this rate it WILL be completely finished in 2041, just in time for me to croak.

What a transformation. Can't wait to see it all filled up. I have been remodeling my house room by room. What a blast! Of course, I just have a comic book office and not a comic book wing. Congrats!

It's a labor of love for sure. Since I can't afford a high grade Fantastic Comics #3, it's the next best thing. If just ONE person comes over, sees the stuff, and gets interested in comics, it'll make me happy. Hell it'll make me happy getting to look at those covers over and over.

I'm going to hopefully do some Barks Ducks, some MLJ of course, and some EC's (like that Frazetta Weird-Science cover).

nice basement...(thumbs up this sounds like something I would like to do but our house is built on cement slabs (no crawl space)....NC building isn't notorious for building basements. My dad is passing to our family that he inherited from his parents (big farming community back in the post WWII day) some land in another city that I hope I can build from the ground up the way I want it....

Nice faux finish. Do it yourself?

If you want to get the look of stone, it is very easy. You use the same technique, but you get grouters tape and tape it to the wall. It's very thin. You just measure up the length you want the "tiles" to be. Of course the wall has to be white or off white to begin with.

You apply the the paint, let it dry, and then pull the tape off. You will have a stone tile effect. I did a black marble look in a bathroom and one guy felt the wall to make sure it was just paint.

If you want to get the look of stone, it is very easy. You use the same technique, but you get grouters tape and tape it to the wall. It's very thin. You just measure up the length you want the "tiles" to be. Of course the wall has to be white or off white to begin with.

You apply the the paint, let it dry, and then pull the tape off. You will have a stone tile effect. I did a black marble look in a bathroom and one guy felt the wall to make sure it was just paint.

Yeah I did the painting and some electrical. Oh yeah, lots of sanding and spackling. Your "stone" idea sounds very interesting; can you post a pic? Faux finish is really easy, just time consuming!

Shawn

Marvel Mystery Comics #40

Pep Comics #20 or #36

Archie Comics #2 or #6

All-Select #1

More Fun #54

Detective Comics #31

Superman #14

Here's the list so far for sure. I'd like to keep everything pre-1945. Obscure/2nd tier titles more than ok.

Shawn

Yeah I did the painting and some electrical. Oh yeah, lots of sanding and spackling. Your "stone" idea sounds very interesting; can you post a pic? Faux finish is really easy, just time consuming!

Shawn

Faux finish is controlled mistakes.

Here's the marble look:

site1054.JPG

Here's two colors that were sponged together, white and a kind of purple.

site1055.JPG

They both have a glossy acrylic finish. That protects from smudging and also brings out the colors.

Just had a thought, I am sure you already took this into account.

Since this is a basement, what kind of super doooper de humidifier did you install to protect all your loved ones?...Air flow, etc..

And was your top coat paint oil, or acrylic? Oil base is a pain, tuffer cleanup. But the workable time is far longer then acrylic. I made the mistake of not going oil top coats. So sponging, fanning, blending out acrylic over large areas before it dried was a major pain in da butt.

But my kitchen and house has lath construction walls, so it has plenty of flaws to hide my goofs.

Ze-

Just had a thought, I am sure you already took this into account.

Since this is a basement, what kind of super doooper de humidifier did you install to protect all your loved ones?...Air flow, etc..

And was your top coat paint oil, or acrylic? Oil base is a pain, tuffer cleanup. But the workable time is far longer then acrylic. I made the mistake of not going oil top coats. So sponging, fanning, blending out acrylic over large areas before it dried was a major pain in da butt.

Ze-

Use Flotrol for acrylics. It conditions paint and increases dry time. It can be used like a glaze as well. It is good stuff. It is very useful when cutting in. The paint will not drag and you can get a straighter edge. It doesn't thin the paint like water does. My topcoats in the pics were water based and I didn't have any problems with it drying too quickly. I used more Flotrol than normal as I wanted to make sure the paint stayed workable.