• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Locked out of the Javitts Con.

48 posts in this topic

They already stated they were moving the NY Con to a bigger room next year. I dont think they were expecting anywhere near the turnout which is pretty obvious now. Who would have thought in the middle of the winter so many people would turn out? They also decided to move it to the spring time. I think next years show will be 100 times better.

This has got to be a real bummer for some who may have travelled quite far to go. Especially if they thought by having a ticket they were pretty assured of getting in...atleast eventaully. How sad, as it sounds like the room could have been bigger but wasn't expanded to it's limit due to a smaller crowd anticipation.

This has got to be a real bummer for some who may have travelled quite far to go. Especially if they thought by having a ticket they were pretty assured of getting in...atleast eventaully. How sad, as it sounds like the room could have been bigger but wasn't expanded to it's limit due to a smaller crowd anticipation.

Thank you for your notes, Cliff.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, I get it..Cliff for Clifton Hillegass. Thanks for the compliment, but sadly I'm not that man. tongue.gif

I'm pretty sure we'll never have this dilemma at a KC con. 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Oh, I get it..Cliff for Clifton Hillegass. Thanks for the compliment, but sadly I'm not that man. tongue.gif

27_laughing.gif Probably not... We never have crowding like that unless all of the thirty attendees are trying to go to the bathroom at the same time.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif Probably not... We never have crowding like that unless all of the thirty attendees are trying to go to the bathroom at the same time.

27_laughing.gif

Does this happen at a lot of the big shows? Like San Diego, for instance? I've been setting a little aside to go to SD this year(my first big convention)and don't want to be disappointed.

Two years ago I showed up last minute at Wizard World in Philly with no ticket. I was off the train (which stops right under the convention center) and on the floor in about 15 minutes... Dropped about $500 that day. Not a "huge" amount of money, I suppose, but I'm sure that the dealers here in NY would have appreciated it. It's cool for me as I'm sure I'll find some other outlet to drop my green. Though I had the oportunity, I won't be going back today as I expect that things will be equally messy. Maybe I'll give them another shot next year, maybe not. Conventions are fun, but given the state of the market at this point, they are enjoyable as much for variety and nostaglia as anything else. Lord knows I don't need more excuses to spend money on fuuny books.

I hate to go all sour-grapes, but the more I think about the situation, the more it aggravates me. Those of us who live in NYC have stood jealously by, watching other cities throw booming large conventions, reminicising about the "good old days" when our home was the capital of the hobby. It makes me kind of glum that even a successful show in my city is problematic.

The Javitts as a whole is certainly capable of holding as big of a show as the hobby could present. The issues that arose can only be accounted for by poor planning by the organizers. They were obviously hedging their bets as far as how many tickets they could pre-sell for they space they had booked and somebody dropped the ball. I understand that putting on a show in NYC is expensive and complicated, but other industries do it all the time without having to turn away hundreds of ticket-holding attendees.

I agree with everything you've written, dmgcsr. You can see the comic events board for my review of the show: I went on Friday, had to wait in line nearly 2 hours, finally got in & ran out of time...but I guess I was one of the lucky ones! tongue.gif Very much hope this show can get its act together for next year.

Im glad I choose Fla over the show. I hate darn lines!

There is no show that compares to the beauty of organization as the San Diego show.Huge long lines and everyone still gets in quickly.They are so well organized.

New York guys use the san diego show as a model...PLEASE!!!

I heard that Jeopardy was having open auditions today (Sun) at the Javits confused-smiley-013.gif might have been an all weekend thing?

Could be... I know that there was some sort of travel industry convention going on as well. While I was talking to the guy from the con about getting my refund, a group of little old ladies walked up, freaking out over the lines. They were very happy to hear that they were in the wrong place.

Hmm... maybe I just should have gone to the travel show... I've been thinking I might need a vacation.