• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cap And Mandi Hit The NYC Comic Con!!

47 posts in this topic

Yes, You read that right! Fresh off their adventures down South, the good Captain and Kamandi braved the cold, thwarted the crowds and attended their first (of many?) conventions. Our brave duo arrived at my door Friday morning. By the time I got home from work, I was met with muffled cries emanating from a Priority Mail box that was waiting for me on my desk. Apparently, as Cap explained it, 'mandi was off-gassing since somewhere around the Mason-Dixon line and it was getting hard to take in those close quarters. Once freed from the stinky confines, Cap quickly perked up and Mandi was feeling better after his bout with an intestinal parasite. He sends props to Tilleycs for the TLC and Southern Hospitality.

The pics begin at casa-Woogie, here are the traveling stalwarts held aloft by Woogie Jr. and the Woogette, or as I call them, my kids Riley and Wade (forgive the low light levels on this pic):

DSC00002.jpg

Early Saturday morning and it's time to hit the NY Comic Con, just the biggest and baddest Con this side of the Rockie Mountains, or so we all hoped. Living on Long Island means easy access to NYC via the Long Island Railroad, or the LIRR as we call it here. No, Cap, not the Underground Railroad or whatever you kept calling it...sheesh. Here are the guys enjoying the 40 minute ride into Manhattan.

DSC00003.jpg

Mandi was like a little kid, he kept insisting on looking out the window: I accommodated as best I could...

DSC00004.jpg

We hit Penn Station and made the quick walk over to Jacob Javits. Bless Cap for reminding me to bring my earmuffs along because that Winter wind whips through those skyscraper lined streets. Upon arrival at the Con we were met with a hideous sight: hundreds of freaks milling around just inside the doors. Mandi thought it looked a little like his apocalyptic future, but it was just the gigantic line of people wating to get into the Con. Cap kept lamenting the fact that he didn't have a scatter gun and some riot gear, but I told him to pipe down!

Fortunately, I had the inside track on getting us inside through our own boardie, Paul aka SilverandBronze, who was set up as a dealer inside. A quick phone call to Paul and out came Brad aka Redhook with my pass. A few twists and turns later and we were on the floor. First stop, Paul's booth and our base of operations. As many of you know, Paul has combined his love of collecting character glasses and comics into a new business that he calls Toon Tumblers and he was set up selling them at the show. I agreed to give Paul a hand in exchange for the pass, and although he needed all the help I could provide, he was happy to let me roam the floor for awhile too. Here's Paul and his sister with our erstwhile companions:

DSC00005.jpg

I took Cap and Mandi in hand and hit the floor. We wandered up and down the immense space, taking in all the sights. It was quite a show! Here's Cap posed at the ACTOR table chit-chatting with his likenesses who were lending support for that worthwhile cause. "Yes Cap, you are the one and only original. Yes, you are much tougher than those guys." (Yeah, he's a bit sensitive).

DSC00006.jpg

Wandering around for a bit more, we run into none other than Brian aka Foolkiller who was preparing for his meeting but took time out to pose with C&M. That's one of the CGC guys beside him, I believe, but I didn't get an introduction or anything. The wall of books behind Foolkiller belonged to Harley Yee:

DSC00007.jpg

Me and the boys decided to wander over to artist alley and see what was going on over there. I had decided that I was going to find an artist to give Mandi's case a make-over for some kicks, but timely intervention by Redhook prevented the spoilation. He seemed against it so I didn't bother with the handlebar mustache and tophat that I had in mind. Here's Redhook and his daughter posing with C&M:

DSC00008.jpg

We left artist alley and, after actually doing some work for Paul, I again hit the floor. First stop, right around the corner from Paul's booth was none other than Harry aka Burntboy at the TV Comics booth selling his Sid's Lunceonette collection. Harry took time to pose with the boys, although he seemed a little reticent...

DSC00009.jpg

Next up, my favorite part of the entire Con: Steve Geppi's traveling museum booth! I didn't realize what I was looking at at first until I spotted Dr. Arnold Blumberg holding court in front of some display cases. He seemed in good spirits and didn't even lose his smile when our conversation turned to Ian Levine! In any event, the Traveling Museum display had some FANTASTIC items, including Geppi's Action 1 that I thought looked NM if not better!! Of course, it wasn't CGC'ed and I was looking at it through a glass display case in a mylar, but it looked SWEET! Cap was a little put out that I was drooling over this and it WASN'T a CapAm #1, but he got over it later (see below). I was trying to figure out a way to take a pic of the boys with the Action 1, but there was no way to do it short of trying to squeeze Cap between the glass partition and I didn't want to give Dr. Arnold or anyone else a heart attack. Finally, I settled on an easier target; an awesome poster of Supes that was personalized by Siegel and Shuster to none other than Lefty Grove. Here are the boys posing with the poster: I asked permission to take a picture of the poster, little did they realize I was going to set up a piece of cardboard with a rudimentary Cap image and a Kamandi slab in front of the piece!

DSC00010.jpg

About this time is when Geppi notices me; I think he probably saw me fiddling around with Cap and mandi at the foot of the Supes poster, that's him to the left of the poster. After taking the pic and retrieving the boys, Geppi says hello and that I looked familiar. I introduce myself and we decide that he doesn't know me and I compliment him on the museum and the Action1, etc. All the while he's glancing down at Cap and the Kamandi slab in my arms, probably estimating how much force his security would need to exert if I started any trouble. After our brief exchange the entire museum staff breathes a collective sigh of relief as I move along with our heroes.

At this point, Cap is no longer speaking with me because of my focus on Superman and the Action 1. He keeps saying things like, "He's a freakin' alien for crissakes! Not even an American!" and so it goes for a few aisles. Finally I hit upon a plan to cheer Cap up, something special just for our No.1 Patriot. The only place I'm going to find what I need is at Metropolis Comic's booth. I wander over and spy my target on their wall; of course, Captain America Comics #1, published 1941. Cap brightens up considerably at that point. Vincent Z. is there, as always, and I make my pitch: place this Cap on the wall next to the Cap #1 and let me take a pic. Vince understands immediately the importance of the request (not really), and does me one better:

DSC00011.jpg

And so we go out on a high note! Where the boys end up next, nobody knows....yet!

hail.gif893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

It is a Con report as well....Really great stuff Woogs, guess now I need to tell you where the Cap is going next. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That Superman photo is priceless. Now you too know how great it feels to be the scrutiny of people trying to figure out just WTF it is you are doing. (Or is do you normally get that alot?) It was almost as good as you getting BK to strike a pose.

So did you scribble anything on the Cap drawing, since the Mandi makeover got kiboshed?

And OMG, Wade looks just like you, poor kid.

Ze-

Excellent report, Sir Woog! Man, do Cap n' Mandy get around!!! And yeah....I was not happy to hear that Mandy might be sporting a 'stache so early on his voyage! Good call! thumbsup2.gif

My daughter Julia is still trying to figure what the whole deal is about. I have to have a sit down with her soon, and try to explain it. Next to this, discussing the birds n' bees was easy! confused-smiley-013.gif

Woogie, you had me rolling from "casa-Woogie". 27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif Great report!! I enjoyed the narration just as much as the idea of these people obviously thinking, "You want me to do what?" as you hand them Cap or Kamandi to hold while you snap a picture.

And Ze is right - until you get them in your hands and go out on assignment, you won't understand the power that Cap and Kamandi will hold over you and all the people you tell, "Hey, 'scuze me, would you mind holding this while I take a picture of you?"

The picture of Kamandi looking out the window is hilarious. I'm glad he's feeling better and that the package made it to your door in time to go to the con.

Oh, and can you tell everyone who I reunited Cap with? I wanted to leave that as a surprise for everyone.

These are becoming a riot.... Great job!!!!