• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #3 (#2) 1940- grading opinions please

85 posts in this topic

Nice...Is that Ghost Comics #3?

It's #6, 1953 (Fiction House) and the pic doesn't do the bondage cover justice. The scan will though once it hits the bay...

What do you think the grade is on the copy? popcorn.gif

Here she is:

ghost6.jpg

I'm thinking a strong VG/F because of the light subscription-like (probably a fold-in-half to carry home) crease. Also has the lightest moisture stain on lower back cover near spine. Great color and gloss, white pages.

Nice...Is that Ghost Comics #3?

It's #6, 1953 (Fiction House) and the pic doesn't do the bondage cover justice. The scan will though once it hits the bay...

What do you think the grade is on the copy? popcorn.gif

Skip eBay and sell Ghost 6 directly to me. I'll pay handsomely for it.

PM me an offer... tomorrow is .10 listing day on ebay! 893whatthe.gif

Example of a high grade with rusted staples

http://cgccomics.com/gallery/details.asp?IDComic=13

Again, you know, I cannot speak for CGC. They clearly allow more than the OGG. It seems kind of strange to see these old blue labels with the "rusted staples" note. I would like to see examples of this with the new label. Although I seem to remember that notes of this type were not going to be used anymore with the label redesign.

The "Fine" grade was actually generous, since now with the OGG in front of me I see that the first grade where "rusted" appears in the staple description is at G/VG 3.0. It changes to "discolored" at 4.0, and moves through "minor discoloration" to "some discoloration" in the mid to high grades. It changes again only at 9.4 to "slight discoloration".

Interestingly, the first time the word "original" is associated with the staples in in the 9.6 grade.

Maybe the staple area of the OGG is in need of upgrading? Or maybe someone needs to give me a definition of "discolored" that includes rust. I have not found where "rusted" and "discolored" are defined in the OGG.

Sure, I don't have a problem telling what I paid since I was real happy with the price. $1,200.

I'd say you did just fine. I sold the 8.0 for around $3,600.00.

Thanks for the info. That's a great price for a (raw??) 8.0. thumbsup2.gif

so what would you grade the cgc 8.5 action 1 under those circumstances?With the rusted staples

Until informed that a "discolored" staple could include rust, and given a differentiation from rusty, I would assign a technical grade, in applying what is set forth in the OGG, of G/VG 3.0. Now I'm not stupid, and as I said earlier the 'technical' grade is not the be all and end all of the universe, In cases like Action 1 or Torch 3 where you really don't have a choice of similar copies, it is irrelevant. The 'apparent' grade is much more relevant.

Apply this logic to a bronze age book or even late silver, and the technical grade quickly gains relevance. Do you pay 100% of guide for the 8.5 with or without the rusty staple?

Yes I am the one that bought X-men #2 the good one.

You got a good deal on that comic.

Hello! I remember that book- it's real nice except for that one corner! Was that a piece out or was it just folded under? I was bidding on it for awhile. I don't think I checked the back cover on it though, so I bowed out at a safe level. Looking through my silver books from that sale, I bet the back cover was real nice too!

I do remember you saying "the good one" when you had choice of the 2 copies. smile.gif

It looks like a 7.0 and I say that because I have a human torch 32 in roughly the same shape that graded 7.0

Thanks for that info! Hopefully they won't trash it for the light pencilling! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It looks like a 7.0 and I say that because I have a human torch 32 in roughly the same shape that graded 7.0

Thanks for that info! Hopefully they won't trash it for the light pencilling! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Take a light eraser to the pencilling. I did it with my Captain America Comics #74 and it looks much better. You can still see the slight indent but at least the markings are gone.

Take a light eraser to the pencilling. I did it with my Captain America Comics #74 and it looks much better. You can still see the slight indent but at least the markings are gone.

Are you sure thats the right thing to do?