• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #3 (#2) 1940- grading opinions please

85 posts in this topic

Hello, all! I bought a nice looking Human Torch #3 (#2) at an estate auction yesterday (2/26). It has light pencil coloring on the logo: "Human Torch" and "Sub-Mariner" and on Sub-Mariner's face and upper torso. In the word "Sub-Mariner" the coloring was a little heavier and it looks like it may have been partially erased- hard to tell and maybe not since it too just looks like light penciling with a bit more pencil pressure. I don't see any restoration but don't have the trained eye. I'm hard pressed to set a grade on this one! Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks!

torch2.jpg

Top staple rust keeps it from being anything above a fine, I think. I never have my OGG when I need it.

The pencil marks / erasures are very tough. It's always more of a judgement call - the line between defacement and "history of the book". The OGG makes all kinds of caveats about the "unobtrusiveness" of cover markings. I would find it hard to think of anything with sheer amount of marks, despite their unobtrusivess, as above a Fine.

All IMHO. I would send it to CGC even if I wasn't planning on selling it, since I would not want to handle such a treasure without some hard plastic encasing it. If it's going to be sold... get it submitted ASAP.

Awesome book! What estate sales are you going to?

I'm seeing a 6.5 (FN+). Looks an awful lot like the Cap #1 in the OGG which also has "erased letters" in the logo. I wouldn't be surprised if it went 7.0 or even 7.5 if it was certified, however.

Wow, nice response! Thanks guys! I was thinking 6.0 - 7.0 with some wiggle room. This was one of many Gold & Silver books I got at an estate sale in Lincoln, Nebraska yesterday. I guess I will go ahead and send it in to CGC today or tomorrow.

Sure, I don't have a problem telling what I paid since I was real happy with the price. $1,200. I also bought a Cheerios set Y with DD's Atom Bomb pretty cheap and a bunch of misc. Golden age and Silver age in nice grades (at first glance- I just started my cataloging). Some nice early silver Flash, Brave & Bold, Showcase; GA horror, Dumbo Weekly #1 & 3-8 in binder, Blue Beetle #4 goldenage with marijuana story, & lots more. I was real happy with most of my purchases!

Here's a side comment about restoration: If someone were to remove that top staple and clean the rust off and put the staple back on, it wouldn't bother me one bit. I'd like to know about it, but it wouldn't really affect what I'd pay for the book.That's a nice book at a great price!

I can do one better. The cgc Action #1 IN 8.5 has both staples rusted

I can't comment on CGCs standards, cause they are not published. I can say that the OGG specifies a grade at which some level of staple rust is acceptable, and it is not VF. My failing memory seems to tell me that you can accept 'dark' staples in the VF range. The book in question is beyond 'dark'.

CGC seems to take a less harsh view. The fact that they noted "rusty staple" and still gave it a blue universal should tell you something.