• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Human Torch #3 (#2) 1940- grading opinions please

85 posts in this topic

Yes, the corner was gone but it was there earlier.

I did not check it when I came back.

I thought the H.T. was a strong comic but I did not

see the eraser marks.

There was a lot of nice comics there I got some good Gold comics.

I got there at opening time and immediately took pics of the layout (I finally remembered to bring my camera along) In the first pic you can see the X-Men #2 with tiny piece off top right front cover:

case1.jpg

case2.jpg

row1.jpg

row2and3.jpg

row3a.jpg

row3b.jpg

row3c.jpg

row3d.jpg

sorry, the last one's blurry!

Seems like they have been finding some good books up there. Less humid. Lower Temps. Not Colorado mind you(thank god) but still a more optimal place to have books stored. You should see Omaha. That is one clean town!!!

[embarrassing lack of self control]. I need to get myself to Nebraska. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif let's hope that once you vacation to nebraska that the auction of the week isn't in your town! 27_laughing.gif

Well since it's on it's way to CGC, I doubt I'll crack it out once I get it to take an eraser to it... 27_laughing.gif
I'll be anxious to see the results. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

thanks for the 893crossfingers-thumb.gif !

Take a light eraser to the pencilling. I did it with my Captain America Comics #74 and it looks much better. You can still see the slight indent but at least the markings are gone.
That is not a good idea since you might do more harm than help.

Thanks! thumbsup2.gif

Beautiful Maurice Whitman cover.

I almost forgot:

Thanks so much for identifying the artist, I would have had no idea! smile.gif

It certainly helped my listing! thumbsup2.gif

Well since it's on it's way to CGC, I doubt I'll crack it out once I get it to take an eraser to it... 27_laughing.gif
I'll be anxious to see the results. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Really, just about anywhere geographically can turn up a nice collection. The big question is always "where & how was the collection stored"? Attic, mid-level closet/bedroom, or basement? Environment conditions? A Colorado attic collection might equal out to an Arizona basement collection or be worse. confused-smiley-013.gif

The Human Torch arrived today just in time for 10¢ listing day on ebay! With the beating I took on the grade, I can surely use the break on listing fees!

The Black Hand guessed the grade correctly @ 5.5. Good job! thumbsup2.gif

A close second to Moondog who said "6.0 tops"

ht2cgc.jpg

It looks like a 7.0 and I say that because I have a human torch 32 in roughly the same shape that graded 7.0

Thanks for that info! Hopefully they won't trash it for the light pencilling! 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Take a light eraser to the pencilling. I did it with my Captain America Comics #74 and it looks much better. You can still see the slight indent but at least the markings are gone.

Are you sure thats the right thing to do?

There was no damage or loss of color on the book, looks much better now and it came off very easily.

That cover may well be THE classic Torch/Submariner cover. It perfectly contrasts the elemental spirit of the first two Timely superheros.... Fire and Water.

Plus, it's just a great early (first?) split screen cover.

Iggy, I recognize the Chilling Tales I got just a bit ago on eBay - thanks for it - nice book!

Hey Jon!

Glad you like it! Yeah, I really liked that cover...glad it went to an appreciative home! Sorry I'm a bit behind on feedback... I promise to leave some soon!

I wondered what you meant by "recognize", then remembered this:

horror.jpg

Take care!

That's exactly what I meant - I'm pretty slow but then I put two and two together when I realized the cut of the cover was the same as my copy!

No worries about feedback or anything like that - I'm just going to print out this thread, kind of neat to see where my copy hailed from (well, at least where you came into it.)

Take care!